• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

George Smith to spend Wild Knights in Japan

Charles out of curiosity does Daisuke Ohata still play for Japan or in Japan?

Charles out of curiosity does Daisuke Ohata still play for Japan or in Japan?

Another question on that topic, for a guy who is the worlds leading test try scorer (regardless of opposition), I've only ever seen him play one game before, and he didn't score. Is there any footage, anywhere, of him playing rugby? I've seen him on a Japanese game show, but other than that...

Another question on that topic, for a guy who is the worlds leading test try scorer (regardless of opposition), I've only ever seen him play one game before, and he didn't score. Is there any footage, anywhere, of him playing rugby? I've seen him on a Japanese game show, but other than that...

After another look, I've found a little bt of footage. Here is uni and club games, and a length of the field try against Scotland in 7's

Last edited by a moderator:
Not gonna lie but some of those tries are well taken. However if he was really that good he would have played some form of better standard of rugby either in the NH or SH?

Not gonna lie but some of those tries are well taken. However if he was really that good he would have played some form of better standard of rugby either in the NH or SH?

I added a try against Scotland. I agree with you in many ways. I think he was a good winger, but he's not the winger his record would suggest. I think had Jonah Lomu, Christian Cullen, Shane Williams etc, played against the same opposition, they'd have a much higher try tally than Ohata's. I would have loved to see him play in the S14/Top14/Aviva Premiership/Magners League, I think that would be the only way of seeing what he was actually capable of.

There's numerous reasons as to why you never see japanese players in Europe or in the Sh.

First, there is no true professional player in Japan. All the teams are company clubs and the players are employees, actually working in the company while training and playing rugby. They are destined to work in the company once they are finished playing. So going abroad would make it very difficult for them to get back in the system afterwards.

In terms of rugby, Japan is very much closer culturally to the Sh. European clubs and players are even less known than their SH counterparts, and that's saying something. However, it is extremely difficult to get a foreigner S14 spot in Nz or Aus (assuming you're good enough), and the money is just not good enough in SA or ITM cup compared to Japan.

And finally, Japan is an island, and it has very much the island mentality thing. Japanese are somehow social inepts outside of their little bubble, and many fear the outside world. If you think I'm joking, you ain't been here. They are much more confortable staying in their comfort zone. Japan is a risk-adverse society. Even in soccer the best players prefer to be the big fish in the small pond rather than go to Europe, realise they suck and warm the bench for 2 years.
On top of that, the rugby world in japan is very conservative, self-centered and completely deluded (not just the rugby). For example, the big thing here is University rugby, where everybody can watch and rejoice in glory about how good the teams are bla bla bla. And then they don't understand when they lose against Samoa B in Tokyo...

So, I rambled a bit but I hope you got the point...

Last edited: