• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

George Smith v Phil Waugh

F

Fushitsusha

Hey guys, there's been a heated debate going on at the Sydney based www.rugbyheaven.com.au site for a number of weeks.

Every week they do an Australian 'team of the week' and have failed to include George Smith in recent weeks despite him being in absolutely scintillating form which has caused quite a stir except amongst a few hardcore Waratah fans who believe Phil Waugh is the second coming.

So I want to put it out there to an international audience. Who is the better player?

In my opinion George Smith has consistently been the better player ever since their careers began.

Smith is far superior at the breakdown and especially in recent weeks has been a nightmare for the opposition, and nearly single handedly destroyed the Sharks. He creates turnovers at crucial stages in matches and also possesses a much superior all round ball game which includes a mighty fine chip kick. Obviously that's not important for a player in his position but I feel that not only is he miles ahead of Waugh in being what an openside flanker is supposed to do, but he has a whole lot of extra skills that Waugh doesn't possess.

There's been a lot of talk from Tahs fans that Waugh is 'harder' at the breakdown. Waugh might seem 'hard' at the breakdown but he doesn't seem to accomplish as much as GREAT flankers like McCaw, Smith, Burger etc.

That's my opinion - discuss......

I 110% agree....Smith owns Waugh.
I'll be absolutely perplexed if Waugh gets the nod over Smith.

If there's one trait I think that Waugh has over smith its probably just the onfield leadership which wont be so important when guys like mortlock, gits, sharpey and vicks will be on the field to lead the way.

The whole team of the week concept on ugbyheaven is a joke and most people know it.

The classic was when Horne was selected out of position at 12 when Berick Barnes had a great game against the force that week. Growdens excuse was that barnes didnt have a great game!?!? Im a force supporter and even i queeried wy barnes wasnt selected even above staniforth who had a good game.
I have doubts growden watches games unless its a tah game.

The smh is typical of sydney crap bigging up players like Horne and turner. I cant believe theyre even spewing crap about how horne should be on the wallaby squad!?!??!

As a neutral I'd say Smith over Waugh anyday. Waugh is a good loosie, while Smith is a good rugby player regardless of the position (you get what I mean). There's much more in his game than just turn the ball over at the breakdown imo.

I'd have to go with Smith myself. Just something about his tenacity for the game and never backing down. Think he'd definitely make my world 15!

Breaking News!!!!

Sydney newspaper has bias toward Sydney sporting team!!!

Everybody knows Smith is a better player than Waugh. Those not from Sydney who nevertheless feel the need to constantly read our papers just need to relax and realise that the rule at SMH will always be; when in doubt, go with Tahs.

They are both legends over Aussie rugby, I think theyre both world class but Smith is better and more consistent. Saying that, wasn't G.Smith born and raised in Sydney? Born in Sydney and went to a Sydney high school, but plays for the Brumbies. Did his family move to Canberra or something cos his Brother Tyrone went to St. Edmunds which is in Canberra.

Ask any Kiwi that when Smith is on the field there is a bit of fear running through our blood. Aussie players of late that make us Kiwis nervous were Smith, Gregan, Larkham, Mortlock, Latham. Never do Kiwis fear Waugh. In fact whenever Waugh is on the field we Kiwis hopes start to go through the roof. Waugh is seen over here in the same light as Dunning....in fact sometimes us Kiwis think they are brothers or relatives at least. We Kiwis have fond memories of Waugh missing crucial tackles when they show replays of another All Black try. Our memories of Smith are all bad memmories of referees blowing the whistle and saying "Tackler (Smith) on his feet and has all rights. Penalty"

Smith is alot more agreesive than Waugh, and just seems to have that X factor at the breakdown.

So for that reason I would pick Smith over Waugh.

Everyone knows Smith is better than Waugh, Sydney newspapers have bias towards the waratahs and their players because... well that's where they're based. I seriously doubt the WA press and others are any more the shining beacons of objective journalistic light than the SMH... but of course don't let that get in the way of your NSW bashing, otherwise you might have to be constructive or something.

As for the players themselves, I think Smith is definitely the more dynamic of the two, but Waugh is a solid work horse, a bit like a Hindmarsh or a Fitzgibbon in League and his presence can't be underestimated. But yeah, you'd always take Smith (and yes NZers we realise that Smith still isn't in McCaw's class, but that's not what this thread is about).

Smith by a long way, Waugh has never really done it for me... although as an All Black supporter I'm always happy to see him on the paddock for the Wallabies ;)

George Smith every time. He is a true great of rugby.
Waugh is neither a legend or world class.

Robbie Deans doesn't seem so sure
[/b]

Why? Because he's giving Phil Waugh a run this week?

I think it was always known that Waugh would get a starting chance at some stage before the Tri Nations begin.

However, if Deans has any sense he'll NEED to start with Smith against New Zealand and South Africa. You can't go with second choice players against those kinds of teams. And Smith has a good history of upsetting New Zealand teams.

Latest posts