• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Georgia beat Italy and Spain win in Canada

Tooting Carmen

First XV
TRF Legend
To add to what has been a historic weekend in rugby union, Georgia beat Italy for the first time 28-19, while Spain had a big 57-34 win in Canada.

Spain isn't a surprise but great result for Georgia. Actually quite shocking as Italy looked like they have put stuff together.

In six nations agaisnt wales that is.

Spain isn't a surprise but great result for Georgia. Actually quite shocking as Italy looked like they have put stuff together.

In six nations agaisnt wales that is.
Italy weren't too bad against Scotland either. And is Canadian rugby really that dire nowadays that a big home loss to Spain "isn't a surprise"?

So, Georgia beat an Italian team who beat the Welsh away for the first time who beat the Springboks away for the first time. Perhaps, at long last, the gaps in rugby are closing after all.

Spain(and their pro side the Iberians) have transformed into a bit of a powerhouse since Daniel Hourcade was appointed by World Rugby last autumn to review Spain's setup. I don't know what Hourcade did but it seems to be worth about 20 points points difference a game for Spain against their opponents. I'd fancy them at home against the likes of Fiji, Japan Georgia and Italy just now and they'd have been a great addition to the World Cup. Unfortunately their union plays incredibly fast and loose with eligibility matters.

I don't think Canada have declined quite as much as Canadians seem to think, but they were definitely significant underdogs for this match.

Spain(and their pro side the Iberians) have transformed into a bit of a powerhouse since Daniel Hourcade was appointed by World Rugby last autumn to review Spain's setup. I don't know what Hourcade did but it seems to be worth about 20 points points difference a game for Spain against their opponents. I'd fancy them at home against the likes of Fiji, Japan Georgia and Italy just now and they'd have been a great addition to the World Cup. Unfortunately their union plays incredibly fast and loose with eligibility matters.

I don't think Canada have declined quite as much as Canadians seem to think, but they were definitely significant underdogs for this match.
During the 90's, Canada were serious players and beat France, Wales, Italy, Argentina, as well as uncapped England and Scotland teams and a draw with Ireland.

During the 90's, Canada were serious players and beat France, Wales, Italy, Argentina, as well as uncapped England and Scotland teams and a draw with Ireland.
Yeah, they've declined relative to those guys. But I think its more they have stood still while pretty much everyone has progressed. Here are highlights.

Latest posts