Georgia pushing for 6 Nations spot

Croket66

Bench Player
Country Flag
France
Club or Nation
Georgia
Milton Haig, Georgia's coach
“The Seven Nations, it’s certainly something that I’ve been speaking publicly about every opportunity I get,†New Zealander Haig said.
“Something like this is absolutely crucial for us because in the long run if we develop into a competitive national side consistently, that’s the kind of competition we need.
“You can see by Argentina’s progress and inclusion in the Rugby Championship how far their team has come along.
“We understand it’s a very difficult decision for the six partners to make, but I think it would grow the game globally and it would open up a big market in eastern Europe. It’s something they should consider.â€
http://www.the42.ie/georgia-seven-nations-2366222-Oct2015/

Haig's assistant and former Ireland international Michael Bradley reiterated the Kiwi's views. "The more times we play tier one nations, the more comfortable us tier two nations will get. Part of the process must now be developing that side of the rugby calendar for other countries, not just the tier one nations," Bradley said.
"It's a possibility and you also have the November window as well. You've got to be realistic -- the Six Nations is a serious money-spinner for all of the home nations. The competition side of it means teams like Georgia need to play teams like Ireland, England, Wales, France, Scotland and Italy more regularly. As to where it fits in the calendar, it's up to World Rugby to try and sort that out."
http://www.espn.co.uk/rugby/story/_/id/13795909/georgia-coach-milton-haig-wants-place-six-nations

New Zealand captain Richie McCaw was also asked after the Georgia game whether he thinks tier-two nations should have the opportunity to play more games against tier-one teams.
“We’ve seen through this tournament, compared to other tournaments that I’ve played in, that the so-called ‘easy’ games aren’t easy any more,†he said.
“The whole standard of rugby you’ve seen in this tournament is lifted. You see teams that are capable of putting pressure on the so-called top teams, and I think everyone is excited to see that.â€
http://www.rugbyworldcup.com/news/104253

Italian prop Dario Chistolini says that he wouldn't be unhappy in front of the hypothesis to play an annual play-off to remain in the Six Nations:
"it would be useful for us, because we always play with tier 1 nations and so we collect too few victories; and it would be useful for the other team in the play-off, because also the tier 2 teams have to play constantly with the best nations to improve" (translation, more or less)
http://www.onrugby.it/2015/10/05/sei-nazioni-e-regole-parla-chistolini-giusto-un-match-playoff/

I can only see it becoming a European championship style tournament soon.

In the six nations B, Georgia is unbeaten since 19 games (18 wons, 1 draw) and conceded only 9 tries from these 19 games.
After the RWC, the next international game for Georgia (ranked 14th) will be against Germany (ranked 30th) and then Portugal (29th). How can they make progress?

There's no valid argument against a playoff between the wooden spoon of the 6 Nations and the winner of the 6 Nations B, it would benefit rugby as a whole and is bound to happen.
Time for European rugby institutions to step up.

There's no valid argument against a playoff between the wooden spoon of the 6 Nations and the winner of the 6 Nations B, it would benefit rugby as a whole and is bound to happen.
Time for European rugby institutions to step up.

i like that idea

Possibly get an 8 team competition. 2 groups of 4 over 3 weekends.
After 3 weekends.
Pool A winner play Pool B runner up in 6Nations Cup S/F
And vice versa.

Then a shield equivalent.
Like 3rd in A play 4th in B
And vice versa.
And have final plus 3rd place playoff.

Everyone gets 5 games and it'll be unlikely of anyone getting hammered in every game.
All that needs to be sorted is home and away structure to ensure its a 3/2 or 2/3 split.

Forget it! Seriously who wants another load of nothing matches! If anything ditch the Italians and maybe even the Scottish and let the club season be pre-eminent!!

Who the hell wants more international rugby!!!

Forget it! Seriously who wants another load of nothing matches! If anything ditch the Italians and maybe even the Scottish and let the club season be pre-eminent!!

Who the hell wants more international rugby!!!

its ok for you, you dont have to watch the pro12 every week! lol. its a big step up in intensity and skill from our demestic league, although perhaps we should be trying to make that better instead of getting more internationals.

I'd support a playoff. Why not. I love the Six Nations and don't exactly want to see it change, but if a team can't win a playoff to stay in it, they wouldn't deserve to be apart of the Six Nations anyway.

What's the ENC participants TV coverage like in their respective countries ? Any chance Rugby Europe can squeeze more money out of World Rugby ?
I haven't even been able to get on Rugby Europe's website for ages either. They ain't doing much to gain the arm chair fans !!

I don't think the 6 nations should be expanded. How about beefing up the ENC with the 6 nations secondary teams who are exempt from promotion and relegation ? It may sound disrespectful sending the "B" teams but it gives the second tier teams more game time against tier one 'standards'?!

I think TV deals and advertising will come in to play with the 6 nations affiliates too!

Would a victory by Georgia over a Saxons or Wolfhounds team be valued highly ? Maybe not but perhaps for the other nations ?

Last edited:
I'd support a playoff. Why not. I love the Six Nations and don't exactly want to see it change, but if a team can't win a playoff to stay in it, they wouldn't deserve to be apart of the Six Nations anyway.

playoff seems like a logical option although i feel even a poor scotland/italy (i mean no offence its just usually one of those teams at the bottom of 6 nations table lately) side would be too much for all teams in the other competition. likewise if another team replaced scotland/italy in the six nations for that year they would get an absolute pasting currently, do we really think that will help them improve?

In the six nations B, Georgia is unbeaten since 19 games (18 wons, 1 draw) and conceded only 9 tries from these 19 games.
After the RWC, the next international game for Georgia (ranked 14th) will be against Germany (ranked 30th) and then Portugal (29th). How can they make progress?
With Georgia winning the first match in Germany 64:8, that just shows how little sense it makes to have the two countries in the same competition.

I'm also in favour of a playoff match.

There's no TV coverage in Germany whatsoever, we're lucky enough to get some pretty basic streams for our home matches. Before this season, we only got text tickers. Other countries have had TV coverage for years, though.

If it was a playoff when would you fit it in?

Good question, but i imagine it would be reasonable enough to fit have it in June, or if that is not enough notice, November. You have a whole year before the start of the new tournament, it should be possible.

Good question, but i imagine it would be reasonable enough to fit have it in June, or if that is not enough notice, November. You have a whole year before the start of the new tournament, it should be possible.

seems logical to have it by that autumn international window as players will already be with the international setup

I have no problem but think the clubs may start to kick up.

Players are lost to England for a while during 6N and extra game means another 2-3 weeks.

I like the idea of a 6N league 2.

Bottom of 6N playoff against top of 6N league 2 for place with the big boys.

Means more games for team that finishes bottom.

Neutral venue maybe.

If you have it in that window. It'd mean either sacrificing revenue going down under or having to play without French based guys and possibly English based

I'd hate to see any of the old 5 nations relegated at any point in the future. It's not the rugby it's the fans and the history, there is no way you can convince any British fan that Georgia would be a better game than Scotland. Italy were added to cover the free weekend, but there is no way there will be any allowance of relegation at any point. Georgia might be better off doing something with local teams around their area to be honest. I can't see expansion either the Aviva Premiership teams and Top 14 would never allow it.

I'm more in favor of a European Cup to run alongside the Lions tours. 4 pools of 4 teams like the first world cup, the 6 nations teams and the next best 10 euro teams.

While the tier one nations embark on their summer tours you could have a tier 2 6 nations with Georgia, Romania etc. You could also add the Saxons and wolfhounds to the mix, bit like a European Churchill cup.

Latest posts