• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Georgia team entering Currie Cup starting in 2020

Congratulations to Georgia rugby. I saw a documentary about them on the World Rugby website a while back and it was very good. They've built several new training centers and rugby pitches around the country and are really making an effort to grow the sport in schools, youth clubs, etc.

This appears to now be confirmed for Georgia, as well as Kenya and Zimbabwe. Namibia couldn't pay the costs required to join (mainly because they wanted teams to travel to Windhoek). Does anyone think there is a hope in hell that promotion to the top tier of the Currie Cup would be permitted?

This appears to now be confirmed for Georgia, as well as Kenya and Zimbabwe. Namibia couldn't pay the costs required to join (mainly because they wanted teams to travel to Windhoek). Does anyone think there is a hope in hell that promotion to the top tier of the Currie Cup would be permitted?

they wouldn't let the Jaguares so I doubt they would let Georgia or Kenya. I could see them letting Zim and Namibia due to historical reasons.

Georgian Black Lion 34 - 10 Zimbabwe Goshawks

Apparently poor coverage of the match (both in terms of broadcast and publicity), suggesting it is purely about player development rather than trying to create a commercial product. Which is fine if participating unions can afford it and it helps Kenya and Zimbabwe compete for RWC qualification. Black Lion apparently scored 4 of their 6 tries through the maul, so it doesn't sound like they'll have learnt a whole lot about themselves but maul defence is the sort of practice Zimbabwe and Kenya need if they are to stand any chance against Namibia.

Georgian Black Lion 34 - 10 Zimbabwe Goshawks

Apparently poor coverage of the match (both in terms of broadcast and publicity), suggesting it is purely about player development rather than trying to create a commercial product. Which is fine if participating unions can afford it and it helps Kenya and Zimbabwe compete for RWC qualification. Black Lion apparently scored 4 of their 6 tries through the maul, so it doesn't sound like they'll have learnt a whole lot about themselves but maul defence is the sort of practice Zimbabwe and Kenya need if they are to stand any chance against Namibia.
Are you a champion for the small teams in World Rugby?

I aslo dabble in underdog sometimes, ;)

I would like rugby to grow beyond traditional powerhouses but i would not care to follow results about Zimbabwe, Kenia or Georgia for that matter until they make it.

Are you a champion for the small teams in World Rugby?

I aslo dabble in underdog sometimes, ;)

I would like rugby to grow beyond traditional powerhouses but i would not care to follow results about Zimbabwe, Kenia or Georgia for that matter until they make it.

I'm disproportionately interested in the expansion of rugby as a sport I guess, both across nations and across social groups.

I'm not so interested in the above involvement in the Currie Cup beyond:

- it might help Zimbabwe and Kenya compete with Namibia for RWC qualification
- it's one of the rare examples of a Tier 1 nation acknowledging the existence of Tier2 and doing something that might assist them (in return for money of course!)

Georgian Black Lions lose 41-38 to the table topping Griffons in the semifinal. Pretty disappointing to be honest, but at least shows the level of competition on offer from the top 2 or 3 teams is perhaps worthwhile for Georgia at this stage.

Was it the best possible team from the Black Lions or a developmental one in the semi final? I know you mentioned earlier that you believed it wasn't the full strength team participating in the tournament.

For the semi I think they were pretty much as strong as in the RESC but with an experimental fly half. It doesn't have their French based players, so is a step below the national side but 14, 12 and 2 for example are top national players. I'd have expected them to win the tournament. There are mutterings of discontent with the Georgian coach but if they are scoring 38 points against a decent side then I think they are continuing to transition towards a more rounded gameplan, so I'll keep defending him.

Backs : 15. Mirian Modebadze, 14. Aka Tabutsadze, 13. Deme Tapladze, 12. Merab Sharikadze, 11. Sandro Todua, 10. Luka Matkava, 9. Tengiz Peranidze ;

Forwards : 1. Nika Abuladze, 2. Shalva Mamukashvili, 3. Nika Khatiashvili, 4. Mikheil Babunashvili, 5. Lasha Jayani, 6. Sandro Mamamtavrishvili, 7. Luka Ivanishvili, 8. Tornike Akubardia.

Bench : 16. Tengiz Zamtaradze, 17. Goga Kadaria, 18. Nika Pataraia, 19. Sandro Koiava, 20. Koki Tkhilaishvili ; 21. Giorgi Begadze, 22. Giorgi Babunashvili, 23. Otar Lashkhi.

Georgian Black Lions lose 41-38 to the table topping Griffons in the semifinal. Pretty disappointing to be honest, but at least shows the level of competition on offer from the top 2 or 3 teams is perhaps worthwhile for Georgia at this stage.
I'd never heard of the Black Lions before, so I looked them up. Cool logo. đź‘Ť

1658948818150.png

Latest posts