• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Georgia vs Germany

A

alexrugby

Hi everybody

Now as the February 7th approaches Georgia is starting to boil up as our team moves to Germany to hold there a match against local team

FIRA-AER reaaly recieved a fresh blood in face of Germany which I think will offer quite many surprises to our teams

So how and what do you think about this match?
Latest_Rugby_League_385532a.jpg

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Monkeypigeon @ Feb 2 2009, 01:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Will it get any TV coverage?[/b]

ooouuu :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: here in Georgia yes, but what about other countries I do not really know and I think not actually

Nice that Georgian Rugby is getting coverage in its own country! :D

I suspect Georgia is going to go all Stalin on Germany's ass!

(Lekso, sorry in advance about the Stalin reference but Stalin, beating up Germany...they kind of go together)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Prestwick @ Feb 2 2009, 01:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Nice that Georgian Rugby is getting coverage in its own country! :D

I suspect Georgia is going to go all Stalin on Germany's ass!

(Lekso, sorry in advance about the Stalin reference but Stalin, beating up Germany...they kind of go together)[/b]

Heeeeyyyy Prest take it easy about Stalin come on!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Do not think about it again please, post any joke with such tension of humor anytime please :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I hope we will "invade" German rugby as well :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cheers bro

There will be no coverage anywhere, except the Georgians will sent a TV Team.
But a group of german Rugby Fans have started a project to cover the match with several videocams, edit it and making it available for everyone.
Even the Romanian Rugby Federation is interested in this video.
Nothing Live but better than nothing. A great effort by the fans and shame on German TV stations.

I think Georgia are consistently one of the stronger 2nd Tier Euro Nations and Germany are the new guys in the division and although German rugby is quite strong in the past, it is working hard to build itself make up to a competitive test level in this division but are carrying some injuries. Georgia however, do have a strong team for this with many of it's RWC squad. I think that Georgia will easily beat Germany. Germany don't tend to have much invention, so i think although they will resist they will looking to defence to win this game and snatch the points on the counter. I can't see Germany winning and it would be a major shock, rather like Samoa beating England.

GEORGIA

Forwards
Davit Zirakashvili
Goderdzi Shvelidze
Irakli Natriashvili
Akvsent Giorgadze
Davit Khinchagishvili
Simon Maisuradze
Ilia Zedginidze
Mamuka Gorgodze
Dimitri Basilaia
Kakhaber Uchava
Levan Datunashvili
Giorgi Chkhaidze
Gia Labadze
Rati Urushadze

Backs
Irakli Abuseridze
Bidzina Samkharadze
Merab Kvirikashvili
Otar Barkalaia
Lasha Malaghuradze
Davit Kacharava
Irakli Chkhikvadze
Irakli Giorgadze
Irakli Machkhaneli
Tedore Zibzibadze

GERMANY

Kieron Davies (Bedfort RFC)
Benjamin Krause, Benjamin Simm (both SG 78/08 Hannover)
Robert Mohr (La Rochelle)
Clemens von Grumbkow, Alexander Widiker (both RC Orléans)
Kehoma Brenner, Tim Coly, Pierre Faber, Mustafa Güngör, Edmorre Takaendesa, Manuel Wilhelm (all RG Heidelberg)
Ben Brierley, Rolf Wacha (both SC Frankfurt 1880)
Lars Eckert, Marten Strauch (both SC Neuenheim)
Tim Kasten (Southend RFC)
Damien Tussac (RC Toulon)
Alexander Hug, Jens Schmidt, Thorsten Wiedemann (all TSV Handschuhsheim)
Bodo Sieber (University of Capetown)
Michael Poppmeier (Lazio Rom)
James Reid (Barking RUFC)

Reserves: Anjo Buckmann (TSV Handschuhsheim) and Christopher Liebig (Heidelberger RK).

From FIRA forums..

There are debuts for Damien Tussac (played for Germany U21s at European Champs last autumn in Germany), Michael Poppmeier (2nd row) and James Reid (fullback).

German team got long list of absentees, most notable Colin Grzanna, Gerrit van Loock (both Berliner Rugby Club), Benjamin Danso (DRC Hannover), Markus Walger (RK Heusenstamm - only plays club rugby now because too much commitment for national team), Mathieu Franke (RC Orleans - Franke ripped ligaments in his knee, is out till mid 2009), Alexander Pipa (TSV Handhschusheim - top try-scorer in German 1st division, is injured). Also, Robert Mohr is only available for Romania match.

Match against Georgia will be played in Fritz-Grunebaum-Sportpark in Heidelberg.

The team from http://www.totalrugby.de is currently setting up a system to film the game which will most likely be available via youtube and torrent afterwards, possibly with commentary.

There will definitely be a live feed on http://www.totalrugby.de , too, maybe even commentary (only in German).

I would like to support Germany, but rather like Portugal they don't advertise the fact they play in the media. I mean it's ridiculous. The amateur soccer team in Heidelberg probably gets more press coverage than the rugby national team. To be fair, Germany does play a lot of sport and rugby has been popular but has fallen by the wayside.

Apparently, Hitler liked rugby.. and it was the WW's that really stopped german rugby when they lost generations of players to national service etc.

I love all rugby from all nations as they all have their own style of playing, i think more so than soccer generally shows. I also think there should be much more emphasis and promotion of low level rugby to get the 2nd Tier nations to a competitive test level. Germany has form for rugby. Forgotten form.

It's a case of finding out where the youth players are going, why they quit sport specifically rugby after school and maybe showing them that they can do both, or even better have scholarships.

See, this is why America is so good at sports. They have the NCAA and NAIA which is the keystone to any USA sport success. Rugby is down the pecking order in the US, that is the only reason why they don't challenge tier 1 teams. The universities and colleges have teams that actively recruit sports talent for scholarships and an education to use after they stop playing. So they get the experience at a high level that is funded and the competition is there for an age-group team which of those players would progress to test level and break the rosters of tier 1 pro clubs.

The experience they have of a pro career in the uni team helps them in a sports career. The players might not play in germany as there is no money, but would go elsewhere to higher teams and levels and this would improve the awareness of the game in germany slowly, let's say if a german winger was playing for Stade Francais.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (danny @ Feb 2 2009, 09:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Hitler liked rugby! What a ringing endorsement for our sport![/b]

Well we will try hard to beat Germany, but as a new team Deutsches have nothing to lose, and instead they will fire interesting rugby at us I think

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Prest still amazing: Wall-up :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: amazing

Thanks Fatau for your words about us and we will try to make these words not feel in a dark ;) ;) ;) ;)

The fact that Germany doesn't broadcasts this match inside Germany is really interesting

610x.jpg

not really surprised... in Canada they plays poker on tv before rugby....

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dawner @ Feb 3 2009, 06:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
:) Like the evil mastermind coment...[/b]

Actually rugby interest in Germany is trampled under feet by the football I think

That' why the German TVs do not care about this event

But still if any grand team of the rugby world came in Germany they would really broadcast this match

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (danny @ Feb 3 2009, 06:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Hitler liked rugby! What a ringing endorsement for our sport![/b]

Yes, but he disliked Rugby League (he banned it in France, which is why they play mostly Union now) - that's our ultimate ace in the code wars - Hitler was on the side of Union... :p

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Fa'atau82 @ Feb 3 2009, 08:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
All we need is another 14 evil masterminds and we have a XV lol[/b]

Che Guevara played Rugby. I mean, personally, I think he was awesome, but a lot of (right-wing) people would disagree...

Adolf Hitler was an Austrian and to be honest I doubt he had much interest in Rugby union, he certainly was not a fan. Many Rugby Union fans claim that he actually banned Rugby Union in Germany, although this is not actually correct. It was poorly funded and that was in part to internal German politics. The collapse of German Rugby came about mainly through a poor public image too English and for toffs. Also the fact they lost the majority of their players to the Second world war, yet they weren't the only international Union to have a problem with the latter.

I also doubt Adolf Hitler has heard of Rugby League let alone actually ban it. not even Raynance in the Forbidden game makes that claim.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (therealalekid @ Feb 5 2009, 08:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Adolf Hitler was an Austrian and to be honest I doubt he had much interest in Rugby union, he certainly was not a fan. Many Rugby Union fans claim that he actually banned Rugby Union in Germany, although this is not actually correct. It was poorly funded and that was in part to internal German politics. The collapse of German Rugby came about mainly through a poor public image too English and for toffs. Also the fact they lost the majority of their players to the Second world war, yet they weren't the only international Union to have a problem with the latter.

I also doubt Adolf Hitler has heard of Rugby League let alone actually ban it. not even Raynance in the Forbidden game makes that claim.[/b]

duty_calls.png

Latest posts