• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

German Rugby

Does this much needed victory has an impact in the irb rankings?

Moldova lost surprisingly in the Czech Republic, so Germany would have been through even with a defeat.
Impact should be there, as they are within 10 ranking points + home advantage from Sweden. The next qualification-game away against the Netherlands should have a big impact though.

Afraid it won't boost us all the way we hope it'd do - but promotion is still sth. to celebrate for now...Enormous progress under Potgieter and the Netherlands in the next RWC qualifying round could be managed - but the Russians, still too big a chunk to chew on... But to really get things going here, we have to work on different levels: granted, the Wild Academy does a tremendous job, but we need the kids start early! One of my former students now coaches Under 12 in Frankfurt, and we can see that when we get the kids start the game early, then there's some potential. The kids I coach pick it up here at school, around the age of 14, and so far ca 15 made it into German clubs playing Regionalliga or higher, geez, if they had started earlier...:cool: And not to forget - Rugby just doesn't exist mediawise here in Germany - so without something like ATT I would be at a complete loss when it comes to showing them what Rugby really looks like...but in general, yes Rugby here in Germany is on its way, and one day...well, just an old coach daydreamin'...

Most of the old Hannover clubs forgot about youth development and paid some foreign players in the early 2000s, so they already are in consolidation or even out of that. Especially Germany's oldest "rugby only" club Hannover 1878.

Heidelberg is Germany's rugby hub for some time now with 5 clubs playing in the first Bundesliga. From my point of view the most important thing in German rugby is the engagement of the Wild Academy. Wild is the owner of "Capri Sun" and he not only sponsors a nearly professional site (Heidelberger RK) but an academy to coach rugby in all of Germany.

The head coach of the wild academy, south-african born Kobus Potgieter, is now Germany's 15s coach and he's doing a great job.

I've been to Heidelberg, first, beautiful city and a great castle. Second rugby is massive there, from what I saw. I saw posters for a international Under 20 championship of some sort. Then I had a 30 minute chat to a German local in Subway who came over and chatted to me because I was wearing an Ulster rugby t-shirt. Claimed to be a centre but looked a bit chunky, but knew his stuff.

Similar thing happened to me in Southern Italy with a group Belgium fellas. All lovely people, and good to hear that rugby is still going strength to strength.

God help everyone if the Germans become good at rugby! Much too organised to be able to compete with ;)

Germany climbed to position 25 in the IRB-Rankings, which is the highest we've ever been since the rankings were introduced.

Another possible victory against the Netherlands should lead to another boost, but after that game every victory in the world cup qualification would be a miracle (after Netherlands it's Russia, after that Africa 2, after that Uruguay or Asia2).

Let's keep on dreaming.

Germany climbed to position 25 in the IRB-Rankings, which is the highest we've ever been since the rankings were introduced.

Another possible victory against the Netherlands should lead to another boost, but after that game every victory in the world cup qualification would be a miracle (after Netherlands it's Russia, after that Africa 2, after that Uruguay or Asia2).

Let's keep on dreaming.

Seems to me Russia and Uruguay would be your toughest opponents. Best of luck!

Seems to me Russia and Uruguay would be your toughest opponents. Best of luck!

Losing against Los Teros would be fine to me, Grabbing the last spot in Group A is not what you really want as a Tier 2/3 Nation!!! Triplefigure defeats against England, Australia, Wales :eek:

It would be ideal if you could get a professional league up and running between the Netherlands, Germany and Belgium with the winners given a chance to enter one of the new European competitions or the B&I cup etc. Then when that league is at a high enough standard it join up with the Pro 12 so you'd have a west European league. This would help rugby in those countries greatly as well as European and world rugby.

A 10 year goal of getting 3 - 5 European teams up to the level of the current Italy level should be a realistic target for the IRB. Getting players playing professional rugby is the next step. That has been the key for Georgia, Samoa, Tonga, Fiji etc

Great idea - unfortunately professionalism means money and when your National Board is on the verge of bankruptcy, there seems to be no one to take up the challenge. Many clubs invested a lot of money in their teams in the last decade, but still...you just create some new powerhouses like Pforzheim - where the beep does their rugby- tradition come from? We have talented young players, in general German rugby is on the right track, but without major reforms and anything remotely promoting the sport (also TV), the way will be longer than we'd all hope around here:(

Great idea - unfortunately professionalism means money and when your National Board is on the verge of bankruptcy, there seems to be no one to take up the challenge. Many clubs invested a lot of money in their teams in the last decade, but still...you just create some new powerhouses like Pforzheim - where the beep does their rugby- tradition come from? We have talented young players, in general German rugby is on the right track, but without major reforms and anything remotely promoting the sport (also TV), the way will be longer than we'd all hope around here:(

Seems like the Germans have money but need to spend it more wisely. Joining up with the pro 12/top 14 for example would open up new, big markets for any interested sponsors. Also having big professional teams playing in Germany should help rugby make the news more especially in the region the team is based.

This is where everyone should be putting their heads together to come up with a plan. By everyone I mean the IRB, Pro 12 countries, sponsors and TV companies etc. It would take a big amount of cash to get it up and running especially until the fans start to come.

sorry profitius , but the money injection in that specific case must come from outside of the borders togehter as you mentioned with a plan . That means for example , a consortium of investors who gone build a pro Rugby team say in Stuttgart , whilst the Fira or IRB give them a guarantieed starting spot in a tier 1 europian league ! Fund them for say 3 saison and see what will happen, if there is smart PR you will see the fans flocking the games and then the local business will jump on the bandwaggon !
Because soccer is such a dominant force , you have to compete with a dozen of other sport for the remaining spectators and therefore this big ignaiting spark has to come from outside of germany !!!

So, and after yesterday's win against the Netherlands we will face the Russians next Saturday - wonder if any newspaper or even TV channel will dedicate one minute to it...Not that I'm seriously expecting a surprise - but the boys did a great job and unfortunately nobody gives a flying beep - well, what could you expect when there's the German cup final (soccer) on...:(

20:31 against Russia - up by 3 until the 78th. minute - hell of a match but the dream comes to an end..:( But the guys did incredibly well and have shown that those countries in ENC 1 are no longer galaxies away. And - most important: it looks like rugby:rolleyes:

I'll be there all of next year m, not sure where yet, but hopefully I can find something. Heidelberg is an option which I know is a bit of a hotspot.

Latest posts