• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Gerrard Blew It!

K

kbourke88

So after his performance on Saturday night, I'm thinking that Gerrard has had enough chances to prove himself, and has shown time and time again that he just doesnt have the compsure to play at the Wallabies level. I say that because I know he has the skills, and he is a really good player, but i find that he just cant translate it into Wallaby level. He tends to do the had things right, but do a lot of **** things on the way there. He drops so much easy ball... i think its time for Connolly and co to stop considering him and start thinking of Mitchell and even some of the new guys, cuz i just dont trust Gerrard, and Mitchell seems to be maturing with every game that he gets.

I'm barracking for Mitchell for the last wing spot for the cup over Gerrard.

What do you guys think?

Whilst I agree with you in saying Mitchell should have the last wing spot, I think Gerrard should be played at fullback to see how he goes.

The only problem is that Latham is returning for the next Tri-Nations game which will be against NZ at home and it looks like Latham will be picked as starting fullback. As a result of it being Latham's first game of international rugby for some time I think Connolly should and most likely will bring Latham off in the last 20 minutes of the game depending on how the game is playing out, with Gerrard coming on

Then there is Staniforth. I really really want to see this guy get more of a run. He needs to prove his worth. He'll most probably get a run against some of the lesser nations in the pool matches of the RWC to press his claim.

Although I said I'd like to see Gerrard given a run at fullback, I'd still prefer Latham there, and with Mitchell and Staniforth there and given they put in good performances, Gerrard may find it very hard to stay in the 22.

Are you kidding me?

Despite a dropped ball early in the game Gerrard played better than what Mitchell has shown this year.

I'm surprised Mitchell was even considered for the Wallabies again after a pretty below-average Super 14 season.

I think if Shepherd can regain some fitness then they're going to have to shaft Mitchell.

Are you kidding me?

Despite a dropped ball early in the game Gerrard played better than what Mitchell has shown this year.

I'm surprised Mitchell was even considered for the Wallabies again after a pretty below-average Super 14 season.

I think if Shepherd can regain some fitness then they're going to have to shaft Mitchell. [/b]
Quite obviously I wasn't kidding you.

Shephard?? I'd much prefer Staniforth.

Cant AAC play fullback? i realise that he may not have a great kicking game, but surely it will be better than the way i-crap-my-pants Huxley is kicking atm.

I love Staniforth, and would love the man to get more gametime, but he wont break into the 1st string starting lineup for the cup. but i feel that he is a more than safe backup for 11,12,13,14... and AAC can cover 11,13,14,15.. Gerrard just looks like he'll be like Turinui, good at super level, but struggle at international...

I think Mitchell has enough raw speed to get him in over Gerrard, and i think he has looked better and more dangerous in the tests this year than Gerrard...

Shepherd probably failed in his last attempt to impress the selectors. His game against the Junior All Blacks was a crap one.

Gerrard was the Wallabies leading try scorer last year. [/b]

That can be a very misleading stat... and especially when you consider the mediocre year 2006 was..

Also, Gerrard scored a try on Saturday nite.. does that mean he played well? (let me answer that.. NO) :p

Cant AAC play fullback? i realise that he may not have a great kicking game, but surely it will be better than the way i-crap-my-pants Huxley is kicking atm.

I love Staniforth, and would love the man to get more gametime, but he wont break into the 1st string starting lineup for the cup. but i feel that he is a more than safe backup for 11,12,13,14... and AAC can cover 11,13,14,15.. Gerrard just looks like he'll be like Turinui, good at super level, but struggle at international...

I think Mitchell has enough raw speed to get him in over Gerrard, and i think he has looked better and more dangerous in the tests this year than Gerrard... [/b]

Obviously not a Huxley fan. Gonna have to disagree with you. He has made some school boy errors this year but I thought he was really solid on the weekend. When everyone around him was losing there heads throwing stupid passes he was calmly raking the ball 60m down field getting us out of trouble and finding touch.

Gerrard is to slow to be a winger. I sill have visions of McCaw mowing him down from behind in Brisbane last year. Any half decent finisher would have scored that try. 4 of his 7 tries last year came against that B grade England team which was like shooting fish in a barrell.

I rate AAC. He just signed a 4 year deal with the Brumbies and the ARU so obviously the coaches and selectors do to.

Big prediction for the team against NZ. Despite his good game on the weekend Knuckles won't be able to get over his lack of size and Hoiles will move back to the bench. McMeniman will play 6 and Elsom 8, although Smith will play 8 on attack. Hoiles will come on after 50 when the game opens up. I don't completely agree with it but I've been watching John Connolly coached teams all my life an I reckon he'll push for McMeniman.

<div class='quotemain'> Cant AAC play fullback? i realise that he may not have a great kicking game, but surely it will be better than the way i-crap-my-pants Huxley is kicking atm.

I think Mitchell has enough raw speed to get him in over Gerrard, and i think he has looked better and more dangerous in the tests this year than Gerrard... [/b]

Obviously not a Huxley fan. Gonna have to disagree with you. He has made some school boy errors this year but I thought he was really solid on the weekend. When everyone around him was losing there heads throwing stupid passes he was calmly raking the ball 60m down field getting us out of trouble and finding touch.

Gerrard is to slow to be a winger. I sill have visions of McCaw mowing him down from behind in Brisbane last year. Any half decent finisher would have scored that try. 4 of his 7 tries last year came against that B grade England team which was like shooting fish in a barrell.

I rate AAC. He just signed a 4 year deal with the Brumbies and the ARU so obviously the coaches and selectors do to.

Big prediction for the team against NZ. Despite his good game on the weekend Knuckles won't be able to get over his lack of size and Hoiles will move back to the bench. McMeniman will play 6 and Elsom 8, although Smith will play 8 on attack. Hoiles will come on after 50 when the game opens up. I don't completely agree with it but I've been watching John Connolly coached teams all my life an I reckon he'll push for McMeniman.

[/b][/quote] has rocky elsom even played 8 before this seems to be coming out of the blue you said he had a good game and rodneys not the biggest opponet seems like a drastic change.

I hope they play Elsom against us in Auckland, he really impressed me with his efforts for the All Black Cause last year.

Maybe I forgot my pills this morning but I just think they may go that way. Elsom started the last international season at 8 with Heenan and then Chisholm at 6.

Maybe I forgot my pills this morning but I just think they may go that way. Elsom started the last international season at 8 with Heenan and then Chisholm at 6.

[/b]
i can't see why they would do that it just doesn't make sense to me.

If Knuckles likes it big, I wouldnt be surprise to Lyons back at No.8.

Reports from this morning is that Aussie selectors are keen to put Giteau back at halfback and bring on Staniforth to partner Mortlock in midfield....good move in my books.

As for Gerrard, apart from that one dropped ball...he had a good game, was strong in defence and combined well with the backline. The only problem I see affecting the Aussie backline is when forwards tend to pop out (Yes, I'm pointing my hand at you Sharpe) and ruin the games for Gerrard and AAC.

<div class='quotemain'> Cant AAC play fullback? i realise that he may not have a great kicking game, but surely it will be better than the way i-crap-my-pants Huxley is kicking atm.

Big prediction for the team against NZ. Despite his good game on the weekend Knuckles won't be able to get over his lack of size and Hoiles will move back to the bench. McMeniman will play 6 and Elsom 8, although Smith will play 8 on attack. Hoiles will come on after 50 when the game opens up. I don't completely agree with it but I've been watching John Connolly coached teams all my life an I reckon he'll push for McMeniman. [/b][/quote]

On the contrary, i am actually a big fan of Huxley, but just at Super level at the moment.. He has a gigantic boot when he is playing well, i seen him kick it 70m on the fly.. but i just cant trust him as the Wallaby fullback cuz he spend most of his time crapping himself throughout the game... I was hoping it was only gonna last a test or two, but he's played a few now and its still there, and the ABs will smash him if he starts in Auckland...

I dont think Lyons should be playing for the Wallabies, he just doesnt play like a 130kg man should.. He is very soft.. I dont know what happened to him.. early in his career he was known for being able to punch it up hard in the midfield, but the last couple of years he just seems to get pummelled too often for a hit-man, and usually just by one bloke.. He may be bigger than Hoiles, but doesnt run much harder...

Massive Elsom fan, and he seems to be giving less penatlies away atm, hopefully he can keep that up, and keep up the agro..

Massive Elsom fan, and he seems to be giving less penatlies away atm, hopefully he can keep that up, and keep up the agro..
[/b]

yeah same. he had a **** game in auckland last year.... otherwise he's always there ****ling away at those 1 percenters

If Knuckles likes it big, I wouldnt be surprise to Lyons back at No.8.

Reports from this morning is that Aussie selectors are keen to put Giteau back at halfback and bring on Staniforth to partner Mortlock in midfield....good move in my books.

As for Gerrard, apart from that one dropped ball...he had a good game, was strong in defence and combined well with the backline. The only problem I see affecting the Aussie backline is when forwards tend to pop out (Yes, I'm pointing my hand at you Sharpe) and ruin the games for Gerrard and AAC. [/b]
where did you here that thats crazy. knuckles has never shown gregan the respect he deserves.

I just don't understand John Connolly.

Stephen Hoiles was (in my opinion) the best Australian player throughout the Super 14.

He was exceptional when he came on in the second half against the All Blacks, and last week won 'man of the match' and scored a try in his first start for the Wallabies.

But, Connolly still doesn't think he's good enough?

The Wallabies will be much better off when they get a new coach.

As for Gerrard - aside from a dropped ball early on he played quite well. Not only did he score a try but he set up another one. I don't see why you thought he had a bad game?

He may not have the pace as some other wingers but he's a much better player than Tuqiri or Mitchell.

In my opinion Drew Mitchell shouldn't be going to France.

Disagree. I think Knuckles is an awesome coach. He's been successful every were he's gone. QLD were a powerhouse when he was there for 15 years now there a laughing stock. Then he went to France and won a comp with Stad Francais. Then he took Bath from Mid table to a minor premiershi in the England comp in one year. He's taken the Wallabies from losing 8 out of 9 games under Steady Eddy to winning at around 70%.

I rate Hoiles big time. Just because he doesn't start (which he may) doesn't mean he's not a better player then the starter. Remember Origin a few years back. Craig Wing was the most dagerous player on either team and he came off the bench.

If I was coach I'd start McMeniman at 6 and Elsom at 8. That would give us 4 jumpers to target the NZ lineout and Elsom and McMeniman are solid in Defence and both strong ball runners with a bit of mongrel. Then I'd bring Hoiles on after 50. I'd also bring on Staniforth and move Giteau to 9. Giteau and Hoiles operating on the fringe of the ruck with tiring defence I can definately see working.

Agree about Mitchell. He's pretty average. He's still very young though so he may develop. Although I can see our wing combo binging Turner and Tuqiri (maybe Ioane and Tahu) for the next 4 years after this WC.

Why do you convicts even bother debating the make up of your pathetic pack of forwards? An English School team could molest what ever she-males you put up for the scrummage. Tut Tut