• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Get excited, Rugby is back - Guinness Pro 14 2109/20: Round 1

I am looking forward to all of them. Ulster v Ospreys will be very close. I can watch every match in this comp. I have subscribed to Premier.

Honestly, I was being disingenuous, thought this was going to go unnoticed until the welcome back week when all the Irish world cup winners return. But this is beautiful to see, brings a tear to my eye!

Can'r wait. I've just subsribed to Premier Sports in the UK to watch. My favourite team are the Dragons. I also like the Cheetahs
Good. i am sure Dragons will be better this time. They will end that horrible run of so many away matches without a win. I hope so anyway.

Nice to see the world's premier rugby tournament starting back up again, I've been bored by the lack of rugby.
Preseason games like New Zealand v South Africa are well and good to tide us over for the summer months, but really games like Edinburgh v Zebre are what rugby is about. Shame we have to give up players for that sideshow in Japan.

I wonder if the Kings will be the whipping boys again this year? I get the impression they've had a bit of investment this year

I've had my calendar marked since Pro14 released the schedule and will be watching as many matches as I can on ESPN+. Go Warriors!

I've had my calendar marked since Pro14 released the schedule and will be watching as many matches as I can on ESPN+. Go Warriors!
Same here. Hard to decide which to watch. This weekend there is all the World cup matches. All early starts of course. The Pro 14, The Premiership cup. And on top of that i want to see Sheff Utd v Liverpool. Hope the Mrs and kids are going out.

Sorted out my Premier Sports sub for the games. My GF is going to love this weekend. All the WC games and Pro14 is back. :p

World Cup usually throws a few surprises so I'm hoping for the biggest surprise of all.... Dragons not being rubbish.

REFEREE APPOINTMENTS
ROUND 1

Friday, September 27
Toyota Cheetahs v Glasgow Warriors – KO 19:05 (SA) / 18:05 (UK)

Toyota Stadium, Bloemfontein

Referee: Dan Jones (WRU, 25th Championship game)

AR1: Ben Crouse (SARU), AR2: Griffin Colby (SARU)

TMO: Lourens Van Der Merve (SARU)

Ulster v Ospreys – KO 19:35

Kingspan Stadium, Belfast

Referee: Marius Mitrea (FIR, 91st Championship game)

AR1: Sean Gallagher (IRFU), AR2: Andrea Piardi (FIR)

TMO: Stefano Penne (FIR)

Saturday, September 28
Munster v Dragons – KO 15:00

Thomond Park Stadium, Limerick

Referee: Ben Blain (SRU, 3rd Championship game)

AR1: Frank Murphy (IRFU), AR2: Fin Brown (SRU)

TMO: Andrew McMenemy (SRU)

Isuzu Southern Kings v Cardiff Blues – KO 16:00 (SA) / 15:00 (UK)

Nelson Mandela Stadium, Port Elizabeth

Referee: Mike Adamson (SRU, 36th Championship game)

AR1: Divan Uys (SARU), AR2: Paul Mente (SARU)

TMO: Christie Du Preez (SARU)

Benetton Rugby v Leinster – KO 18:15 (ITA) / 17:15 (UK)

Stadio Monigo, Treviso

Referee: Ben Whitehouse (WRU, 59th Championship game)

AR1: Gianluca Gnecchi (FIR), AR2: Gwyn Morris (WRU)

TMO: Sean Brickell (WRU)

Scarlets v Connacht – KO 17:15

Parc y Scarlets, Llanelli

Referee: Stuart Berry (SARU, 24th Championship game)

AR1: Rasta Rasivhenge (SARU) AR2: Mike English (WRU)

TMO: Ian Davies (WRU)

Edinburgh v Zebre – KO 19:35

BT Murrayfield, Edinburgh

Referee: George Clancy (IRFU, 115th Championship games)

AR1: Sam Grove-White (SRU) AR2: Mark Patton (IRFU)

TMO: Brian MacNeice (IRFU)

Connacht won at the last RWC year, I wonder if we could see a dark horse be competitive this time. Will Edinburgh and Glasgow get their internationals back early if they lose to Japan?

Actually Benetton will get their internationals back early barring a miracle. The year of Benetton?

I wonder if the Kings will be the whipping boys again this year? I get the impression they've had a bit of investment this year

The talk is very mixed around the Kings. New owners and investment can only be positive. But their good coach Deon David's left, citing a bit of chaos. The poor man couldn't face his third full rebuild in three years after having made the Kings competitive in their last Super Rugby season. I would put a bet on both SA sides being very underwhelming unless the Cheetahs have had some joy strengthening their squad (but I'd assume Super Rugby is being prioritised again by their union).

I'm looking forward to the new season. Finally with larkham arriving Munster have a top quality backs coach who can make a big difference.

We've not really signed heavily this year. A squad player at best in Nick McCarthy and a stopgap two month signing. We've let 8 go and promoted 4 from the academy. Van Graan has, I hope succeeded in trimming the squad to where there is good opportunity for academy products to break through. I'm very excited to see how deep we are in the first few games. Youth is one thing, but it's a chance for the likes of Cronin to revive his career too. Arnold and Goggin are banged up right now which should test the depth a bit further.
I'm hoping our year three academy players; Knox, O'Sullivan, McHenry , Coombes and Tynan feature a lot. Not sure what will happen with Stafford as he's had Casey parachuted ahead of him.
On the coaching side it's sad to see Fla and Jones go in a sense because I have no doubt they're both hugely dedicated, intelligent and gave their all, but experience elsewhere will stand to them and rugby is a trophy winning business. Two serious operators in Rowntree and Larkham are what a squad this good need. We should seriously target this competition this year.

I am very interested to see how the Cheetahs will fare this season. They won the Currie Cup, and they have made some good acquisitions of players for this tournament. It's a pity they lost Ox Nche to the Sharks, as he was a standout player for them in the Currie Cup.

Ruan Pienaar's influence has been a major step up in their preparation for the Pro14, and I think the players have a better understanding of how to play. One thing is for certain, if they are given space, they will punish you.

I actually think the real darkhorses-ish will be Ospreys. Last season they had all the worries about what was going to be happening with their future. That is sorted out. I reckon they will have a massive season.

I actually think the real darkhorses-ish will be Ospreys. Last season they had all the worries about what was going to be happening with their future. That is sorted out. I reckon they will have a massive season.

I'm not sure, they let Sam Davies go and signed Anscombe who is now injured for a few months. The only senior 10 the have is Luke Price.

With Sam Davies I would like to think this is the year of the Dragons; that they at least attain a comfortable mid table position. Happy to hear he made the move even if it has quickly blown up in the Ospreys face.

For anyone who hasn't subscribed to Premier Sports you can get the first month free with promo code FREEMONTHPRO14.

Works on Sky and Premier Player - not sure about Virgin.

Latest posts