• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Gethin Jenkins

Why would they sign Jenkins and Sheridan?
I know they're losing ELR, but doesn't make sense to sign them both when a) They'll both be on big wedges, and b) they can't both be in the same XV, so they're paying hundreds and thousands of euros for someone to sit on the bench, especially when they have Emmanuelli (and Frou and Chiocci) too.

Ye saw that ... also the story is true.

Can't blame him. Welsh regions are in a dire situation financially.

Last edited:
Makes a change for Toulon to sign a player who's at their best instead of either unproven or (more commonly) a past it big name.

Any bets on when the first person will say Sheridan is better?
Rhys Gill to Blues then...

:(Damn, there goes the Scarlets hopes of signing Gill:p

Gethin Jenkins to France?

I am really in 2 minds to weather I like players going to France. I think it will improve their game, play to a higher level, but where does this leave our regions? Players really do need to get it WRITTEN in their contracts to be released for ALL Welsh camps, not just international windows. A verbal agreement does not count.

I think he has told Wales on-line that Blues said they will not pay him when he is on international duty. From what has also been said the Blues are looking at not paying players on Lions duty, Baa-Baa's games etc. It is a shocking situation for Welsh rugby and I don't know what the answer is for the regions. The hugh crowd at the Wlaes training session clearly shows that people want to see the stars and these are the people the regions should be going after. People want to see the so called stars of the game and what hope do the regions have it they are leaving in droves. I do not think you can blame the players I would want paying as Blues do benefit from people wanting to see him play based on his performances for club and country.

Are the WRU still saying they will only play regional players based in Wales or has that gone out the window?

Last edited:
I think Wales should definitely have a central contracted type of system. This would only apply to Welsh based players.

Another way is to supplement the regions when players are called up. This will encourage the regions to produce more international players, and could go towards those players salaries.

I thought the Welsh national budget was ok, but the regions are leaking money?

Off subject and I know the English won't like it but I think we should look at a British league with 2 divisions with promotion and relegation to rival the French top 14.

I think people making a thing of the 'huge' crowd for the training session is slightly misleading. It was free to get in and put on during half-term. Is 16,000 such a big crowd when you consider that?

Only a matter of time before central contracts are introduced imo. It'll be a last ditched attempt to fix things, and probably should have been done with the advent of regional rugby. The regions are caught in a catch22 type of situation. Big name Welsh players cost alot of money and they're away with Wales for large periods of time, but they draw in the most crowds. By losing all the big name players, are the regions gonna be better off, or will the decrease in crowds (afterall, who's gonna want to see the regions lose) cost them more money than they paying big salaries?

Increasing crowds should be the number one target of the regions, not reducing squad costs. To do this the teams need to be winning, and playing a good brand of rugby. A good start would be to hire experienced, proven coaches, not save a few quid or give the job to one of the boys, because the Ospreys have proven that backfires badly. The Scarlets are the only region with a decent coach at the moment, and it shows in their performances. Darren Edwards started well, but his honeymoon period is over, and he's being found wanting imo. I'm not atall convinced with Baber and Burnell, whilst Tandy is a massive, massive risk.

I feel the regions are doing everything the wrong way round at the moment. Cutting costs and charging high prices for tickets isn't the way to draw fans. They're following the British rail networks business plan and it doesn't work.

This is why I feel the WRU will soon implement central contracts. The WRU will feel it imperative to keep as many Welsh internationals playing within Wales, if the regions aren't willing to do that, they they will by reducing the amount of money given to the regions and using that money to centrally contract current international players.

I think people making a thing of the 'huge' crowd for the training session is slightly misleading. It was free to get in and put on during half-term. Is 16,000 such a big crowd when you consider that?

how many do you think would turn up to watch Ospreys v Aironi on a 6 Nations weekend if it was free?

how many do you think would turn up to watch Ospreys v Aironi on a 6 Nations weekend if it was free?
=/ How many do you reckon would show up to watch Scarlets v Toulouse on a regular weekend if it was free?...

On topic... nobody deserves to have a major payday more than Melon.

To the state of Welsh regional rugby... the way things are going centrally contracts players looks like a certainty I reckon. Find it baffling how the Welsh regions have gotten into this state when their Irish counterparts seem to be flourishing (thought Wales was the NH nation in which rugby is the national game. Also not only is ireland suffering more from the current financial situation but there is a far greater variety of sports competing for bums on seats. Think we could learn a lot... maybe we thought we knew it all and shoved our heads in the sand.

to be fair I have no problems with players going to France, especially Melon, he has been immense for Wales.

there needs to be more incentive for regions to produce Welsh internationals rather than mediocre foreign imports.

Ten pound a ticket for a Friday night HC match at Cardiff Blues V Edinburgh. Decent price and decent rugby total crowd size around 6000.

So yes I would say that 16000 to watch practice is an issue. When the regions have knocked down the prices to what is very cheap and they can still only get a small crowd.

I think one of the problems is fans have more of an affinity with Wales than the regions. If we lose the big players from the regions they will have even less reason to go. One option is to increase a reason to go and make the it more of an evening (kids stuff and game on field at half time maybe)

Ten pound a ticket for a Friday night HC match at Cardiff Blues V Edinburgh. Decent price and decent rugby total crowd size around 6000.

So yes I would say that 16000 to watch practice is an issue. When the regions have knocked down the prices to what is very cheap and they can still only get a small crowd.

Ten quid for a Heineken Cup game? Cracking value that. Shocking attendance in that light, especially when you consider the crowds the Irish provinces can pull in for similar fixtures (this isn't gloating or anything, it's just the most straightforward comparison). No wonder the Welsh regions can't keep their best players.

I think one of the problems is fans have more of an affinity with Wales than the regions. If we lose the big players from the regions they will have even less reason to go. One option is to increase a reason to go and make the it more of an evening (kids stuff and game on field at half time maybe)

It's all well and good putting on more events, and stuff for kids etc. But ultimately, no-one wants to go see boring rugby. After watching many Ospreys games on tv, I struggle to understand why I bothered, when they are so frustrating to watch. I'd be severely ****** off if I'd payed money to watch on a cold, wet friday night. It's not rocket sience, the Irish provinces are prospering because they are successfull, and play a good brand of rugby (Munster get slated sometimes, but they score plenty of try's).

Why the hell would I want to go watch the Blues at the moment? Watching Parks take every opportunity to drop a goal and ignore the massive talent he has outside of him isn't what Welsh fans want to see. Why would I want to watch the Dragons, when they can't do the basics like catch the damn ball. Same goes for the Ospreys. The Scarlets are the only region that are playing attractive rugby with a high skill level. They're still losing the big games, but if they can keep their big players that will change. This shows in their increased attendance levels, people want to go watch adventurous rugby, add in success (which won't come when the regions atre losing all their big players), and that's the recepie for big crowds and increased revenue.

It's a tricky one but I think coaching appointments are possibly the most important factor in sporting success and with the exception of the Scarlets I don't think the regional coaches are up to it. They were all (inc. Nigel Davies) the cheap option and standards have generally slipped since regional rugby started.

Why the Blues, Ospreys or Dragons didn't try and tempt Mike Ruddock back to Wales is beyond me.

Latest posts