• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Getting Back Into Rugby (Though Still a Newbie)

C

ChiefsFan

Hey all, I'm looking at getting back into rugby in 2011, which I haven't played since 2007. I only started in 2006, spending all of my time on the Wing. I'm pretty quick for an average player, but won't be up to pace with the islanders and what not you'll find on the wings, so I'm thinking of moving in to either center, or out to fullback. Obviously as my time playing rugby hasn't been long, my intuition and what not will be below the level required, but at the moment I'll be looking more at the fitness and skills side of getting into the game.

My passing is pretty decent, being able to pass fairly well of both hands. My kicking's quite average, but i'll try work on that. What I'm looking at really are methods of fitness training, and increasing body mass. I know all the obvious stuff, going for runs etc, but are there any more hints for getting back into it? Both for fullbacks in general, and for a newbie rugby player?

I'm not short on knowledge of the rules or anything, I've been a fan of the game for a long time.

So any advice would be much appreciated :) Thanks all.

Haha, nice Dale.

How tall are you? How much do you weigh? What is your average speed over 100m? How well can you kick?

If you would like to get bigger, there are many diet and training topics. However in order for me to help, I'd need to know the answers to the questions above.

Sorry I was supposed to post that :p

I'm 180.5 cm tall (5'92"), and weigh 70kg (154 lbs).

Oh, and haha Dale :p

Several bits of advice. Eat. Eat alot. When you're full, eat much more.
Limit down on junk food. You want to eat foods with protein. Eggs are the miricle food. Ignore what you've heard about cholesterol, as eggs will not raise cholesterol. If you get the option, you should eat as much white meat as you can. Ideally you should get your protein from three different sources a say. I get it from chicken/fish, milk and eggs. Protein is essential for gaining muscle. You could go for Protein Shakes, but they're pretty exspensive.

Training: There is no perfect training regime, as everyone's bodies will react differently. You need to try out a variety of exercise's in order to find which ones suit you. In terms of speed, I'd recomend doing sprint training, especially over 40m. I'd also recomend you start doing squats, as it will improve your leg drive and the more muscle you have, the more explosive speed you have. Since you're playing in the backs, I'd recommend you did a all round work out, with equal cardio as weights. For weights you should do bench, squats, deadlift to improve all around strength, and then exercises to compensate for what you are naturally lacking.

Skills training is easy to work on, it is just practice. Go out to a park, kick a ball up, and then catch it. Get a target (I use a chait) and aim on passing the rugby ball at the same point of the chair, while you move further and further back. All these things can come naturally to you over a season however. With your build I would say either 2nd 5/8th or full back would best suit you, as it requires good distribution and the large boys playing centre won't run you over.

Right, thanks for that, so white meat and eggs... I can do that. My bro has protein shakes so I'll try steal some of that.

I've got touch trials tomorrow after school, haven't played since 2007, but hopefully I'll make the second team. It'll be good for my distribution and what not, so we'll see how that goes...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ChiefsFan @ Feb 2 2010, 03:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Hey all, I'm looking at getting back into rugby in 2011, which I haven't played since 2007. I only started in 2006, spending all of my time on the Wing. I'm pretty quick for an average player, but won't be up to pace with the islanders and what not you'll find on the wings, so I'm thinking of moving in to either center, or out to fullback. Obviously as my time playing rugby hasn't been long, my intuition and what not will be below the level required, but at the moment I'll be looking more at the fitness and skills side of getting into the game.

My passing is pretty decent, being able to pass fairly well of both hands. My kicking's quite average, but i'll try work on that. What I'm looking at really are methods of fitness training, and increasing body mass. I know all the obvious stuff, going for runs etc, but are there any more hints for getting back into it? Both for fullbacks in general, and for a newbie rugby player?

I'm not short on knowledge of the rules or anything, I've been a fan of the game for a long time.

So any advice would be much appreciated :) Thanks all.[/b]
If you search this part of the forum, you'll find a lot of advice for your particular question.
I've got a workout posted, that for some reason won't download anymore from the forum, but it's what I devised for the university team I coached the previous two years (2008-09). PM me with your email address and I'll send it your way. Good luck. FITNESS FITNESS FITNESS!

**** all the weight gaining for the minute though mate get your skills right first its the most important thing ..work primarily on your tackling , sidestep , hand off and ball presentation on getting tackled if you can do all these to a good degree you will get onto most teams

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (lucky_number_7 @ Feb 3 2010, 10:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
**** all the weight gaining for the minute though mate get your skills right first its the most important thing ..work primarily on your tackling , sidestep , hand off and ball presentation on getting tackled if you can do all these to a good degree you will get onto most teams[/b]
Dont see why you need a good handoff... once you have good sidestep you only need your hand to wave...

sometimes a sidestep wont work in a tight enough situation punch a hole in the line with it go down and present the ball back ...simples

Yeah genius, except a 70kg centre will hardly palm off a 95 kg centre in close space will he? Which is why fitness and strength building is so important at a level where you'll be playing for U19 or First XV, which I presume he's going for. And if he wants to continue playing rugby at a higher level, he'll need to get bigger, so it's better to start while he's younger.

everyone seems to think that size is everything in rugby when good technique will get you far further than just being a 100 kg ball of muscle that cant use it properly

same about handing off you get a guy at base of the neck top of chest it does not matterhow big he is your going to put him off balance

Mate, I'd love to have you on the field, weighing 70kgs, and try and hand me off. I'll kill you.

If you want to acheive in any sport, you have to be physically prepeared for the sport. Is technique important? Damn streight, but you also need to be in good condition. I wouldn't recommend at 17 for him to play at centre and be 100kgs. I'd say 80kgs is about as big as you'd possibly want to go, but despite that, if you've got good technique, but not the strenghth to execute what you've practiced, you're not doing yourself favours. This is why professional rugby players work out, and don't just work on technique. You need to work on explosive speed, which is what things like sprint training does, and you need to work on things like squats, so you can make more metres when driving. And most importantly, you need to work on core strength, so you don't lose the call and so you don't injure yourself when you get tackled.

I'm not for any minute saying don't work on skills, I am saying your advice of "**** muscle gain" is misguided. And he came on to find out how to better condition himself for rugby, in which the responce I gave him will better himself for the conditions of rugby.

i said **** muscle gain for>> the minute<< if you are starting out your are far better off spending your time wrorking the skills and tricks than being just a brute .however once you get the techniques then by all means hit the gym..and i wasnt bad mouthing gym work or conditioning as im on a programme myself..

and as your litlete comment on being 70 kilo and handing off you mate im 75 kg and i regularly put guys on the flat of their backs just by using a good technique...and no mate ..you wouldnt kill me take a look at my photos on this and you will see a few guys who thought the same as you

Latest posts