• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Getting back into rugby

W

wushu

Hello everyone, i'm thinking of getting back into rugby after not playing for about 4yrs, the only thing im wondering though is should i try and bulk up a bit before starting again? Since im about 6ft2/3 and 12stone at the moment.

For the past few yrs ive been rock climbing and kayaking a lot, so have a reasonable amount of strength.

Any info is appreciated.

I started back playing rugby a month ago after 3 years out of the game. Seeing as it is close to the end of the season I don't think there is much point bulking up. Just get back out there and play a few games - you can bulk up during the off-season.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Woldog @ Mar 3 2009, 02:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Start bulking up now, to be ready for next years season.[/b]

Do you have any tips for bulking up fast? I seem to have a very fast metabolism though.

Eat a lot of protien but remember to keep a balanced diet. It's all about slow steady growth. That coupled with a bi-daily trip to the gym or spreading out your routine over 2-4 days is a good way to go and keep things interesting. Like a weights day, cardio day, rest day, skill day; throwing the ball around, playing about, kicking it and trying to catch it, grubber at full speed and try to run onto it, practice dropgoals, sidesteps with cones, play touch rugby, maybe go down to the a training session the a team just to get used to the things you need to do, stuff like that and you should be ready in no time. Remember you are preparing.

DO A LOT OF TACKLE TRAINING, so you don't get hurt when the real games start.

Hows your return to the game going? I just returned to the game myself after an absence of 10 years. I'm down in NZ travelling though and its still preseason so its not too bad, my fitness is rubbish though. It feels good to be playing again though. All the best.

I think you should also put in a lot of cardio. You may be able to go hard, but without cardio you won't do it for long. Also, do you know what position you're looking to play?

Get your fitness up, because if you've been out that long, they will probably only play you off the bench. Better to make 20 mins of solid game than 80 minutes of dragging your ass.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Fa'atau82 @ Mar 31 2009, 07:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Get your fitness up, because if you've been out that long, they will probably only play you off the bench. Better to make 20 mins of solid game than 80 minutes of dragging your ass.[/b]

Im bulking up getting ready to start training in July pre season. Im 5'9/10, and weight 12 stone 4lbs trying to get up to 13 stone and then a bit more. Remember to get plenty of protein in.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (wushu @ Mar 2 2009, 08:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Hello everyone, i'm thinking of getting back into rugby after not playing for about 4yrs, the only thing im wondering though is should i try and bulk up a bit before starting again? Since im about 6ft2/3 and 12stone at the moment.

For the past few yrs ive been rock climbing and kayaking a lot, so have a reasonable amount of strength.

Any info is appreciated.[/b]
it depends on what position you play because there are some light tall backs

Latest posts