• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Getting over the rust

Devv11

Academy Player
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Munster
hi all, i am currently a 15 year old openside whom represented my district and my county last year and am currently in the midst of pre-season training. In the last couple of weeks we have begun full- contact with my club but for some reason i am feeling rusty when it comes to the contact situation. Throughout last season it was a rarity that i was missing tackles and being out-rucked but for some reason i seem to be missing tackles that i should be making and losing the battle at some of the breakdowns in our mini-matches and drills during preseason. I am becoming increasingly worried at this lack of form or rustiness as if i recall during last year pre-season i did not have these problems. This added to the fact that my county trials will be coming up in a few weeks. Is it a case of regaining form and familiarising myself with the game again??? or is that people are just becoming more elusive and stronger????

Could easily just be a matter of time while you get used to working in the contact area again. You're obviously a good player if you've competed at county level so I wouldn't worry about it - make sure your technique is perfect and the rest will slot into place!

Seems like it was just a matter of time. H ad a very good training sesssion with the club on sunday, and then played the best i have for ages at district training on tuesday, nabbing a lot of turnovers and didnt miss a tackle :D

Good to hear you're performing well again - good luck with the season mate!

Latest posts