• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

getting to an academy

j2s1l7y

Academy Player
Club or Nation
Leinster
im u14 and started rugby 3 or so years ago and have improved alot and was put forward for country trials development program at the end of my first season , didn't get in and have started a big training plan , any tips for getting scouted etc , i play back row btw

At trials selectors love physicality. It's all about physicality; when you're being looked at amongst a group of what, 50ish players, no selector notices the 7 making turnovers and a ton of tackles, it's all about smashing guys defensively if you're a flanker and smashing guys ball-in-hand if you're an 8, because ultimately that's what's noticeable. Good luck to you.

At trials selectors love physicality. It's all about physicality; when you're being looked at amongst a group of what, 50ish players, no selector notices the 7 making turnovers and a ton of tackles, it's all about smashing guys defensively if you're a flanker and smashing guys ball-in-hand if you're an 8, because ultimately that's what's noticeable. Good luck to you.
thank you very much yeah i play seven and tackling is a big part of my game despite not being overly big:D

are there any smallish flankers that i should watch on youtube and try and learn from ect i already like kwagga smith and josh van der flier but anyother players that i should have alook at ?

Another key thing and is probably obvious but something our coach used to go on about is three key areas physicality, endurance and knowledge.

You have to be able to win beat your opposite man around the park, in the contact area and outthink him. The guy we used to always look at was George Smith, he used to be (and still is) dynamite at the breakdown, smash people in tackles but also chose what was worth competing for and what was not. I'd 100% have a look at his play and how he managed his game.

Other good small backrowers I'd suggest are Neil Back, Michael Jones (NZ & Samoa - great ball skills), Francois Pienaar (fantastic guy and player), Fergus Slattery, Thierry Dusautoir and maybe an old stalewart of prem rugby such as a Julian Salvi

Another key thing and is probably obvious but something our coach used to go on about is three key areas physicality, endurance and knowledge.

You have to be able to win beat your opposite man around the park, in the contact area and outthink him. The guy we used to always look at was George Smith, he used to be (and still is) dynamite at the breakdown, smash people in tackles but also chose what was worth competing for and what was not. I'd 100% have a look at his play and how he managed his game.

Other good small backrowers I'd suggest are Neil Back, Michael Jones (NZ & Samoa - great ball skills), Francois Pienaar (fantastic guy and player), Fergus Slattery, Thierry Dusautoir and maybe an old stalewart of prem rugby such as a Julian Salvi
thank you very much just watched some george smith highlights and i definetely see what you mean hes exeptional

Latest posts