• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Gilly announces retirement

W

woosaah

After this final test against india Gilly will have retired from test cricket, his last ODI series will be this coming tri series with Sri Lanka and India.

It was a bit of a shock when i woke up to this news, what do you guys think?

He is one of my favourite players, and one of the characters of the sport. He will be missed by me at least, and it will defiantly leave a bit of a chink in the armour of the aussie cricket team.

In ODI's they wont ahve another openeing batsmen/wicketkeeper like him for a while. And as for test, no1 can turn a match like he can.

He has had a great career and i wish him all the best for the rest of his future. Maybe he can go into commentating.

Thoughts?

I'm devestated. This guy is a god both as an opening batsmen in the one-day arena and an all time great #7 in tests, not to mention the best wicket keeper of the past decade and one of the best of all time.

About 3 days ago in The Daily Telegraph (and of course subsequently reported all over the news), it was reported that Gilly wanted to play on for another Ashes series! What a shock for him to go now :(

One of my favourite players. It will be sad to see him hang up the bat.

On the plus side, Brad Haddin has been waiting in the wings and has sufficient international experience for him to step in to the role as wickie and is 4 or 5 years younger than Gilly, so atleast us Aussies have the comfort in knowing we have a bloody good wicket keeper till atleast 2012.

Congratulations of an absolutely stellar career Churchie.
430_gilchrist,0.jpg

gilchrist.jpg

_41548204_gilchrist.jpg

12935.jpg

cmGILCHRIST_narrowweb__300x466,0.jpg

2835476.jpg

After this final test against india Gilly will have retired from test cricket, his last ODI series will be this coming tri series with Sri Lanka and India.

It was a bit of a shock when i woke up to this news, what do you guys think?

He is one of my favourite players, and one of the characters of the sport. He will be missed by me at least, and it will defiantly leave a bit of a chink in the armour of the aussie cricket team.

In ODI's they wont ahve another openeing batsmen/wicketkeeper like him for a while. And as for test, no1 can turn a match like he can.

He has had a great career and i wish him all the best for the rest of his future. Maybe he can go into commentating.

Thoughts?
[/b]

Great player, but it's about bloody time to be honest. He's a tick over 36 and his slump in form over the past year suggests this is the best time to bow out.

Started his career as a 28 year old (I think) against Pakistan, so what he's done for a relatively late international career (age wise) is phenomenal.

Was voted Australia's all time greatest ODI player and rightly so.

Now, who to replace him? Brad Hadden will most probably be Australia's mainstay behind the stumps, but this is the problem. All of these back ups are well reaching their 30's and there doesn't seem to be any real youngsters coming into the team (although I bet there are many who could succeed).

Started his career as a 28 year old (I think) against Pakistan, so what he's done for a relatively late international career (age wise) is phenomenal.
[/b]
He started his TEST career as a 28 year old.

He started his ODI career as a 24 year old. :)

:bana: :bana: :bana: :bana: :bana: :bana: :bana: :bana: :bana: :bana: :bana: :bana: :bana: :bana: :bana:

:bana: :bana: :bana: :bana: :bana: :bana: :bana: :bana: :bana: :bana: :bana: :bana: :bana: :bana: :bana: [/b]
I'm guessing that means you're happy that Gill is retiring lol?...

I'm sure I speak for every New Zealand cricket fan who remembers Adam Gilchrist's performances over the years when I say these truely heartfelt words.......

Goodbye Adam. Goodbye, but before you go, can you do us...one...small....favour?

Close the door behind you and lock it! We don't want you coming back.

I can echo those sentiments on behalf of the people of England as well! Naff off Gilchrist. What a fantastic player but what a total and utter pain in the arse. He has destroyed many an early hours of the morning for me.

Well many a time Gilly has made staying up watching the cricket totally worth it, some of his innings have been staggering, there was one in Sydney a few years back and his hitting was just a joy to watch, it was either South Africa or the Windies, not sure but irrelevant as he would have hit any attack out of the park the form he was in. His innings against England in Perth in the last Ashes was also awesome, granted I did fall asleep but caught enough of it on the highlights. An absolute legend and as Hayden put it in his press conference you can't use great too many times to describe him.

all hail the great gilly

he will be missed, but not like warnie or mcgrath

Haddin is a similar player - ie he can bat very well - maybe not at 200 runs strike rate, but damn well can bat - more runs from the gloves for the aussies

But you can see the effects of all these retirements - dads army is getting on, and the new breed will have to step up alot to fill the void

Sad to see him go. Exciting to watch.

Loved his commentary in the Twenty20 match v india

to be totally honest, im happy that hes retirigin. he brough the australian team into disrepute from his 'walking antics'.

because he walked, everyone else in the australian team is now expected to, and when they dont, theyre cheats

in no other sport are the players supposed to rule on decisioins them selves and gillys stuffed it up for everyone

Don't know much about cricket (i'm Italian after all) but I've seen Gilchrist in action with Australia and in the IPL, batting and wicketkeeping, and he was really amazing... Magic Gilly!

Latest posts