• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Gimme the specifics in the differences....

B

Boltman

This is all I ask, before I even attempt to make a logical decsision.

BTW- for the record, I currently watch, Super 12, Tri nations, and IRB 7's.

Have you seen a league game on TV? Once you watch it you may like it more than rugby.

Watching it live is a different story. League focusses on the microdynamics while rugby is macro.

Bolts, if you've ever played rugby in the States, League is akin to what happens when we play touch before/after practice.

Same initial basics as Union, but when you're 'touched' (read: tackled for the actual sport) you stop and roll the ball back with your feet to your scrumhalf who passes it out again. Also, after 5 tackles in League, they usually kick the ball begrudgingly either for space or on the attack as they forfeit the ball after the 5th tackle no matter what happens.

Also, it's 13 a-side and the emphasis is on running, but it's like running a crash ball every play. Only once in awhile will you see them really pass the ball out and do some 'fancy' moves like a 'switch.' League people call Union 'kick n' clap' for the amount of kicking (be it for touch or tactical).

There are no rucks, mauls, or lineouts.
They have a scrum but it can hardly be called that.

In a way, though it is still a continous sport, it is similar (in some ways) to the mechanics of football as everyone realigns after each tackle, and after 5 tackles they punt the ball away.

Originally posted by Gay-Guy@Mar 16 2005, 11:47 AM
Have you seen a league game on TV?  Once you watch it you may like it more than rugby.

Watching it live is a different story.  League focusses on the microdynamics while rugby is macro.
League can be very boring on TV especially if there's never breach in the defense wall.

Anyway watching an NRL match is usually fun. If you go to the NRL website you will find free videos of all the RL matches played by the NRL franchises, States of the Origin and Kangaroo (the Wallabies counterpart in the RL world, main difference being that if there was a World Ranking there would have been uninterrumptly at the 1st Rank since the mid-70's) these last 2 years.

Now, to go watch a few videos.
<

Well I think from the point of view of excitement, rugby union takes it simply for the more nonstop action and the added rucks, mauls and lineouts. Of course when it comes to wathcing the sport, I'm limited to highlights, and I don't know about more of the logistics of the league game to compare in any other way.

Originally posted by captainamerica@Mar 16 2005, 05:52 PM
Bolts, if you've ever played rugby in the States, League is akin to what happens when we play touch before/after practice.

Same initial basics as Union, but when you're 'touched' (read: tackled for the actual sport) you stop and roll the ball back with your feet to your scrumhalf who passes it out again. Also, after 5 tackles in League, they usually kick the ball begrudgingly either for space or on the attack as they forfeit the ball after the 5th tackle no matter what happens.

Also, it's 13 a-side and the emphasis is on running, but it's like running a crash ball every play. Only once in awhile will you see them really pass the ball out and do some 'fancy' moves like a 'switch.' League people call Union 'kick n' clap' for the amount of kicking (be it for touch or tactical).

There are no rucks, mauls, or lineouts.
They have a scrum but it can hardly be called that.

In a way, though it is still a continous sport, it is similar (in some ways) to the mechanics of football as everyone realigns after each tackle, and after 5 tackles they punt the ball away.
i thought it was 6th tackle?

You give up the ball after the sixth tackle. As America said they generally kick after the fifth to gain territory or if close to the try line they might put in a grubber or an up and under to try and either score or get the ball back. Sometimes if they are a long way back they'll attempt a kick after the 4th tackle to try and catch the full back out of place and make some extra metres with the kick.

Latest posts