• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Giteau going home

Q

QLD

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,2...5002381,00.html

0,5001,6496822,00.jpg

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
Australia fly half Matt Giteau has announced he will quit Western Force at the end of the current Super 14 season to rejoin the Brumbies.

Efforts by the Force, club sponsors and supporters to keep the 26-year-old playmaker in Perth have failed, and he confirmed he will be returning to the Brumbies.

The move has been one of rugby's worst kept secrets - and the offer to return home was obviously too good to refuse.

In an ironic sense of timing, Giteau's announcement comes just a week before the Force take on the Brumbies in Canberra.

His departure will leave a massive hole in Force ranks and will have the club on a desperate hunt for a new five-eighth.

One option would be to rapidly accelerate teenager James O'Connor into the main pivot role. His contract expires this year but he has an option of an extension.

Other players who are negotiating their contracts beyond 2009 may now be considering their future at the club and possible new signings may also be having second thoughts.

Giteau moved to Perth on a three-year contract said to be worth about $4.5 million in salary and sponsorship.

But his major third-party sponsor, controversial fuel-tech company Firepower, collapsed just one year into the deal leaving him more than $1 million out of pocket.

A syndicate led by another major Force sponsor, ET Mining's Ross Graham, put together a $1.6 milion offer, but such a dela would mean Giteau signing for the Force until 2011.

The two-year extension was a major stumbling block and Giteau refused the offer late last year.
A group of Canberra-based businessman, who are said to have had talks with Giteau's new manager, James Erskine, are believed to have put up a big third-party deal that will take Giteau back to his home city.[/b]

This is huge news. What do you reckon the Brumbies offered him?

Pretty huge coop the Brumbies can still lure big name players to Canberra. I don't know how they do it to be honest.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wally @ Feb 21 2009, 11:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Pretty huge coop the Brumbies can still lure big name players to Canberra. I don't know how they do it to be honest.[/b]

I'm as clueless as you are. I've got know idea why they want to go play in a shithole like Canberra.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dale @ Feb 21 2009, 05:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wally @ Feb 21 2009, 11:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Pretty huge coop the Brumbies can still lure big name players to Canberra. I don't know how they do it to be honest.[/b]

I'm as clueless as you are. I've got know idea why they want to go play in a shithole like Canberra.
[/b][/quote]

Probably because it's a far better place to live than Brisbane or Perth.

A lot of Canberra businesses have banded together to bring Giteau back home.

The Brumbies will have no reason not to make the top 4 next year.

Wow the brumbies will be good nxt year. I will be watching them and expecting a lot from them

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Fushitsusha @ Feb 21 2009, 02:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dale @ Feb 21 2009, 05:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

Either your taking the **** or have never been outside of Canberra in your life. That would be like saying the Reds are a far better team than the Brumbies.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dale @ Feb 21 2009, 06:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Fushitsusha @ Feb 21 2009, 02:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dale @ Feb 21 2009, 05:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

Either your taking the **** or have never been outside of Canberra in your life. That would be like saying the Reds are a far better team than the Brumbies.
[/b][/quote]

I've travelled the world... and personally, I don't think Brisbane has much to offer...

Anyways, what's your beef with Canberra? You seem to try and rubbish it every chance you get... it's not Adelaide...

Hell, I'd rather live here than Sydney...

When the Brumbies had Gregan, Larkham, Giteau and Mortlock they couldn't make the semis. Why would it be any different next year?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ChiefsFan @ Feb 21 2009, 06:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
When the Brumbies had Gregan, Larkham, Giteau and Mortlock they couldn't make the semis. Why would it be any different next year?[/b]

You forgot Smith.

Canberra was great, not much to do down there once you have done all the tourist stuff but I prefer the weather to that of QLD's but I like the cold.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ChiefsFan @ Feb 21 2009, 06:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
When the Brumbies had Gregan, Larkham, Giteau and Mortlock they couldn't make the semis. Why would it be any different next year?[/b]

'Cause then the Crusaders had all their good players, as well as the Hurricanes having Umaga and I think the Blues were doing well then.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ChiefsFan @ Feb 21 2009, 09:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

The last time they had all of those guys playing injury free they won the championship...

Anyways, barring injuries there's no reason for them not to make the semis with the team they have and Giteau playing flyhalf...

Unfortunately Lealiifano is too hot and cold... as he displayed tonight against the Crusaders... it's a real shame when you've got a star player like Adam Ashley-Cooper never seeing the ball...

Interesting...Anyone think that a bald headed chimp named John Mitchell might have anything to do with this?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (maniac @ Feb 21 2009, 04:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Interesting...Anyone think that a bald headed chimp named John Mitchell might have anything to do with this?[/b]

It's probably more to do with the fact that he wants to play for a team that has finals prospects... :lol:

Once Giteau is gone they're screwed...

Yeah there is no real depth in the force squad. Only other decent players are Sharpe and Brown, perhaps Pocock and Mitchell.

Maybe its because he wants to go back to his original team, wouldn't you want to go back home?

Latest posts