• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Give Victoria the 5th Australia Super Licence

Q

QLD

Talks between Gold Coast and Victoria as to who will get it.

Will be a huge mistake if they dont pick Victoria as theyve been crying for a super team for years.

Theyd have players like Elsom and Ioane leading the show plus a few others.

Everyone on the GC are huge Reds supporters anyway so it will be stupid, there is more history and passion in Reds Jersey.

Give it to Victoria and it will get bigger crowds than the Storm gets after a few years.

For sure, who is suggesting GC should get it? Melbourne will have there beautiful bubble stadium and Melbournians dont hate Union like they seem to do with League. I can see them getting similar crowds to the Victory. Even after Melbourne gets admitted i dont see GC getting the next team but Western Sydney. After that we can go to GC.

How about a Central side? I always thought the GC were going to get a team after the Breakers were introduced but now I'm not so sure where it's headed. There's not really enough of a fanbase to warrant setting up a franchise there now anyway.

It would only make sense to give it to Victoria...

Especially considering the teams are State based ie. ACT, NSW, QLD, WA...

Obviously if they added another team from inside NSW or QLD we'd have to see a restructure of the team names, which isn't that complicated, but incredibly stupid given the fact that a team like the Reds have a strong history of being the Queensland team... if we had a Gold Coast team than of course all that history and "Queensland pride" that the Reds pride themselves on would be demolished...

O'Neill sets up Super 15 for 2010

By Jon Geddes
September 10, 2008

ARU general manager John O'Neill unveiled plans for a major shake-up of the rugby landscape in 2010 - including a fifth Australian side to take part in an expanded Super 15 competition.

O'Neill revealed details of the exciting blueprint for the future as guest speaker at a sellout luncheon at The Rugby Club in the city.

"I think in 2010 we'll have Super 15 and with an extra team in Australia - I don't know where yet," he said.

The Super tournament is set to be expanded from its current 15 weeks to between 24 and 26 weeks.

"You will see everyone play each other once, and then the South African conference, the Australian conference, the New Zealand conference will all play each other," he said.

That would then be followed by a six-team finals series.

O'Neill also wants to move the start of Super rugby back to March, running through until the middle of August. "We are hoping to move the inbound tours out of June, when (nations) never send their best teams, and move them into August," he said.

The Tri-Nations would be staged in September-October. "That is not a bad season," O'Neill said.

"It means for the (New South Wales) Tahs, the Brumbies, (Queensland) the Reds, Western Force and wherever the fifth team goes, they will all have a home-and-away against each other so they can become more viable financially."

--

Please give the fifth team to Victoria and plz put games on FTA not FS!

Latest posts