• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Giving In To The Fact Im Gutted !

Originally posted by Parore+Dec 11 2005, 08:52 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Parore @ Dec 11 2005, 08:52 AM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-knowsleyroader
@Dec 11 2005, 08:39 AM
That was another of the strangest things. The fact there seemed little difference between players. In RL1 if you added a player like Matty Bowen to your team you saw the difference straight away and a star player like that could alter your whole season.

Just couldnt see a purchase in RL2 doing that in the same way.
RL1 also had Andrew Johns bump off 7 players to score a try, and never saw a forward ever hit the ball up.

Maybe your expectations was for an arcade type game with lots of action.

The best game of League I ever saw was the Warriors vs Raiders Semi Final, small scoreline but the excitement was the pressure of field position and territory and big hits rather than run away trys.

Also in RL2 if you want to score long range trys try just pass to a 4th player (cutting out 3 players using D+W and you get players running into a gaping hole and then you need to find a support player to pass to and they will score under the sticks. You cant expect to "bump of 7 players" and score trys like in RL1 or score from the scrum.

I score lots of runaway long range trys: http://www.warriorsforum.co.nz/runaway.wmv, you just have to use the right players [/b]
That's definately true. In this game your passing game is what scores you tries... you have to utilize cut outs and switches.

the offensive side of the game is starting to come together, its just the defense thats a bit dodgy still.

Originally posted by CeeJay@Dec 11 2005, 10:57 AM
the offensive side of the game is starting to come together, its just the defense thats a bit dodgy still.
Yeah, it took me a bit to get the hang of (and I still am experimenting), but I'm coming up with some funky moves now that my passing has improved! The passing system is absolutely brilliant in my opinion... It's a shame locks dad was so impatient
<

Nice runaway parore, but its clear that its on easy difficulty, all three of he defenders behind you could hav made the tackle but they just slowed down and did nothing! This try would not hav been possible on legend, you can only get runnaways with good (and sometimes lucky passing) or the sidestep.

Originally posted by sanzar+Dec 11 2005, 12:42 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sanzar @ Dec 11 2005, 12:42 PM)</div>
Originally posted by Ripper@Dec 11 2005, 05:03 AM
Originally posted by sanzar@Dec 11 2005, 02:14 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-knowsleyroader
@Dec 11 2005, 12:03 AM
My copy has been promptly sold. Roll on RC2006

Oh well each to their own I guess... Maybe I didn't expect what you did, but for me RL2 is brilliant and easily the best rugby game I've played to date! It's not perfect, but I've never enjoyed a rugby game as much as this one.

Hilarious... or as Chiro would say, Mountainlarious.
Why? [/b]
Because you touch yourself at night.

Now stop making idiotic and childish statements, what kind of mod are you?

Originally posted by Ripper@Dec 11 2005, 12:56 PM
The kind that is vastly superior to you
<

Originally posted by sanzar+Dec 11 2005, 02:51 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sanzar @ Dec 11 2005, 02:51 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Ripper
@Dec 11 2005, 12:56 PM

The kind that is vastly superior to you
<
[/b]
Yeah, superior like a fox!!

Hmm, my experiences of the game were from a hire and I wasn't really too disappointed, but I knew to have a really accurate opinion of it, I'd have to have played it about 20-30 times. That wasn't going to happen on an overnight hire.

So, I'm leaving my buying decision, til the Friday before Christmas, and my decision will be made by what seems to be the general concensus of you guys here on the forum.

I don't completely trust any individuals review, but if more of you like it than hate it, then I'll buy.

I'm sold on the features, but I need to know the gameplay is of at least good to very good level, (approximately a 7.5/10)

The most interesting and swaying opinions (for me) so far seem to be coming from:

CeeJay, Knowsleyroader, Parore, AK47, Sanzar.

With all respect to one of the very best forum members, I have to say that I have found Locksley's opinion to be too inconsistent this time, and personally I hope he plays the game for another week or so and then comes back with a definite opinion/rating. I think even he has had a hard time making up his mind on this one.

CeeJay so far seems to be the man doing the most real research and is neither raving, nor tearing down this game with his views. I have to say the detail has been impressive.

So, it comes down to all you guys, whether or not I buy this thing.
<

yea dude, good features but u need to play the game for a while to suss things out.. defence and the bloody wingers running towards the sideline and passing to the playmaker are my only concerns.. but like sum1 said earlier.. the passing game is absolutely brilliant!!

In my expierience, when I first got the game I was stoked, as it was fast paced and lots of fun. When i upped the difficulty my excitement turned to dismay as this changed the game completely. Then after fiddling with the sliders and testing things for about 3 or 4 days, all of a sudden it started to get better. Now im having fun with my franchise, living from game to game for that high of scoring a runnaway try. This game still has that very rikity junky feeling to it like RL1, there is always something strange going on due to one bug or another. But at this stage im glad i have it. I will decide on a final verdict at the end of my first franchise season.

Dummies!!! Ive finally got the hang of dummies. for those of you who hav struggled with them like me, heres how to do them consistantly. When you have the ball hold down either pass left or pass right, and once the icons appear push the step of fend button(depening on which way you are going) and this will cancel the pass and do a dummy. I was having trouble getting the timing of pushing the buttons at the same time, often resulting in a spilt pass. This way you always perform the dummy. You hav to do them way earlier than RL1 for them to work.

I think what most people who are enjoying the game are doing is living with the problems that they know exist.

What worries me most is that if SIDHE dont realise there is a problem with the most core fundamental of the game ( player control ) then this problem will continue with the franchise.

You dont hear people who play madden saying " How can I make the players turn quicker ", " Why do my guys keep running past everyone ". They ***** about things like Joe Blogs isnt no27 and he is rated 70 when he had 20,000 rushing yards during all rain matches last year.

The control is there ( FULL STOP ). We dont even have the control yet in game no 2, in fact the control was better in game 1.

For me the problem is either

a: Sidhe realised there is a problem but didnt have the time or funds to rectify the problem.

b: Sidhe have little idea about testing and going back to the drawing board when something isnt working.

I really think if SIDHE are to make a RL3 this engine should be scrapped and we need to start with something along the lines of the swordfish engine which is as smooth as a babys bum.

Good on ya the people that are looking past the flaws, I just cant do it this time around. Im now back on RL1 and enjoying that far more then RL2.

I really did give RL2 a huge chance and put in some real game time. But there is something wrong my friends when you have to **** about with sliders to try and accomodate the gameplay.

I don't think most of the guys are saying it's great or anything. They seem to be saying that it's not terrible but not excellent either. Sort of an "acceptable" kind of rating.

I'm sure player control is top of everyone's list, but what can we do about it? Tell Sidhe? They've heard it for long enough now.

Originally posted by C A Iversen@Dec 11 2005, 09:34 PM
I don't think most of the guys are saying it's great or anything. They seem to be saying that it's not terrible but not excellent either. Sort of an "acceptable" kind of rating.

I'm sure player control is top of everyone's list, but what can we do about it? Tell Sidhe? They've heard it for long enough now.
But its got worse in RL2 than it was in RL1. If we dont tell them they will keep along the same lines. I dont like RL2, but I certainly want the franchise to continue as there is always a chance that they will get it right for me one day.

If the franchise stops where does that get anyone ?

It has to continue, but they have to know where they are going wrong. There is only one most important factor for me and that has to be player control.

If you dont have that what do you have ?

The fact that I am starting enjoy this game does not stop me from agreeing with 100% knowlsleyroader! I am able to look past the flaws, and and live with them, but, i shouldnt have to. I think that sidhe absolutely knew what they were releasing, but had neither the time or money to fix it. I think most of focus was on visuals, but with that done they should hopefully be able to smooth out the rest for RL23. They will also need to go back to the fundamental programming of legend mode in RL1 as it is the best challenge out there a far a s sports games go.

Compared to what I was expecting, it is a huge disapointment. But after 5 or 6 days its grown on me and I now see it as a good league game, with more potential than anything else. It sux that us rugby gamers always get the short straw when it comes to all rugby games, but we still cant help but go out and buy, because as far as rugby goes what else hav we got?

The ai does fall for dummies, its just hard to time, your probably better off trying a step or offload anyway as the success rate is higher.

player control is massive on goal line defence. there has been a few time where i have seen a gap and knowen the ai will either scoot from dummy half or pass but i still couldn't stop them because of the lack of player control. another bad example of player control i have experinced is when you intercept the ball often the player will run the wrong way and i have sometimes lost 10-15m after getting the intercept.

passing is bit of a let down i have noticed in my last few games that some players when they pass the pass to themselves which can lead to a loss of possesion. also in the wet i have noticed the ai seems to be able to pass as if it were dry but when i try a complicated passing move the pass either breaks down after 2 passes or it misses the intended target by miles and goes to ground.

despite these thing i still think the game is worth the purchase as the franchise mode is good and the modding capabilities seem nearly endless. this game proabbly won't suit everyone but i think it is a step in the right direction and with maybe a patch from the community sidhe the game could move to very good from good.

I think it was a bit stupid of sidhe to introduce total control passing, which is an awsome idea, only to have passes going to ground or out all the time, it seems to defat the purpose. Changing the passing accuracy slider to plus 70 does tidy tis up enough to be acceptable.

For anyone undecided on buying this game, you should consider that the learning curve is tough, and you will go through a rough period were nothing seems to work, and eveything goes wrong, once you are past this you should enjoy this game. you must be prepared to learn all the new stuff and hav alot of patience. Use shcool boy and reserve to get used to things and then be prpared for teething problems when you up it form there.

And if you get the a pc version prepare yourself for the most horendous control configuration known to man!!

i may have to consider altering that passing slider soon. aye pc config on keyboard is shocking from what i have heard and also if you have an unsupported controller the controls on it aren't that great

just get used to the passing guys, it just takes time, i have no problem with the passing at all aye
<

i havn't had many go to ground if they do i know i pushed the wrong button (yes the chosing the controls do suck but mario said on the sidhe forums they are thinking about releasing a patch for this i hope they do this)

all should be good, as for catching the ball and running out, i havn't had that yet, had the ai do it plenty of times of i tackle them out which is fine.

and as for close to the line stuff, i have had no problem as you can choose which guy to be the defender just hope he doesnt go down blind and most of the time i can get the dummy half or the first reciver unless he decides to do a grubber (had 2 tries scored against me that way)

i am still loving it

Originally posted by knowsleyroader@Dec 11 2005, 07:12 PM
I think what most people who are enjoying the game are doing is living with the problems that they know exist.

What worries me most is that if SIDHE dont realise there is a problem with the most core fundamental of the game ( player control ) then this problem will continue with the franchise.

You dont hear people who play madden saying " How can I make the players turn quicker ", " Why do my guys keep running past everyone ". They ***** about things like Joe Blogs isnt no27 and he is rated 70 when he had 20,000 rushing yards during all rain matches last year.

The control is there ( FULL STOP ). We dont even have the control yet in game no 2, in fact the control was better in game 1.

For me the problem is either

a: Sidhe realised there is a problem but didnt have the time or funds to rectify the problem.

b: Sidhe have little idea about testing and going back to the drawing board when something isnt working.

I really think if SIDHE are to make a RL3 this engine should be scrapped and we need to start with something along the lines of the swordfish engine which is as smooth as a babys bum.
There us probably too much momentum when it comes to player control, but personally I don't find it to be as much of a problem... maybe I'm being too accomodating, but I've got used to it and it doesn't bother me. However, I do agree that it is definately something sidhe need to work on in the next game, but at the same time I don't agree with you about the swordfish engine... I always thought it looked stupid seeing players stop on a dime to turn a full right angle running at light speed, because that isn't good either in my opinion. The momentum effect needs to be there because it's realistic, but there also needs to be better overall control.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
I really did give RL2 a huge chance and put in some real game time. But there is something wrong my friends when you have to **** about with sliders to try and accomodate the gameplay.[/b]
That's sort of the point of sliders though... If you don't like the way the game plays you can adjust it to suit you. I personally haven't felt the need to use them, as the gameplay suits me thus far, but other people seem to need to tweak it.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
Good on ya the people that are looking past the flaws, I just cant do it this time around. Im now back on RL1 and enjoying that far more then RL2.[/b]
If rugby fans can look past the inferior nature of the sport of NFL to enjoy madden games, then I can get over a couple minor (for me anyway) gameplay gripes in RL2
<

Latest posts