• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Glandular Fever, anyone had it?

Thingimubob

First XV
Country Flag
Wales
Club or Nation
Cardiff
Just wondering if anyone here's ever had Glandular Fever? Been feeling ridiculously rough for about 4 weeks now, only managed to drag myself to the doctors on Tuesday where they sent me for a blood test saying that it could be glandular fever, don't get the results till Monday probably. Was wondering how ill exactly dyou get with it? I've heard of people being bedridden for weeks with symptoms like red raw throat (mines just a bit sore), huge swollen glands in their neck (only a bit swollen with me) and buggered up tonsils (not had any problems there myself). Is there varying degrees to how bad it gets? How contagious is it too? Would hate to end up passing it on to my girlfriend!

Not meant to shift for around a year after at as you may not be feeling the effects of the disease for that long but it's apparently still present in your saliva for around a year so I was told......

Still .. be grand.

Not meant to shift for around a year after at as you may not be feeling the effects of the disease for that long but it's apparently still present in your saliva for around a year so I was told......

Still .. be grand.

****. Not overly convinced I've got it yet, even if if I have must have had it for a fair long time by now! My girlfriends come down with anything yet so I think it's fine. Big chance she already had the virus too, apparently most people pick it up when they're little when it doesn't really have as much of an effect, so have an immunity to it from then on.

Yeah it's possible , I have a friend who lost 3 stone after a bad bout of glandular fever had to quit rugby for ages and all , I was suspected as having it and they wanted me to do a blood test , I told the doctor where he could go with his needles :p

Just wondering if anyone here's ever had Glandular Fever? Been feeling ridiculously rough for about 4 weeks now, only managed to drag myself to the doctors on Tuesday where they sent me for a blood test saying that it could be glandular fever, don't get the results till Monday probably. Was wondering how ill exactly dyou get with it? I've heard of people being bedridden for weeks with symptoms like red raw throat (mines just a bit sore), huge swollen glands in their neck (only a bit swollen with me) and buggered up tonsils (not had any problems there myself). Is there varying degrees to how bad it gets? How contagious is it too? Would hate to end up passing it on to my girlfriend!

I had it in 1999 when I was a senior in Highschool. It was not fun. I missed school from June-September. God only knows how I made it into college.

Yes, results vary. I lost 12KG. Couldn´t eat properly as I was never hungry. If you have a girlfriend it is likely you got it off her. I got it from a girlfriend I had at the time. She was a carrier who had never felt the illness at all but gave it to me. Chances are your girlfriend is in the same boat.

Just try to take it easy. Don´t do excercise. Walking is enough.

I had it in 1999 when I was a senior in Highschool. It was not fun. I missed school from June-September. God only knows how I made it into college.

Yes, results vary. I lost 12KG. Couldn´t eat properly as I was never hungry. If you have a girlfriend it is likely you got it off her. I got it from a girlfriend I had at the time. She was a carrier who had never felt the illness at all but gave it to me. Chances are your girlfriend is in the same boat.

Just try to take it easy. Don´t do excercise. Walking is enough.
Glandular fever ? What do you mean? Mononucleose or Kiss- fever (french kisses as well? ;)) I didn't that was a rugby disease.
The real injuries come about the vertebral bones neck specialy for the forwards players. You can make a player disabled;that a reason to protect the player with a good musculature but also with a hards rules during the play by the referee. A red card are alway better than a disabled man.

Yeah here in North America its always referred to as Mononucleose or just Mono, I hadn't even heard the other term LOL, thought you had some Amazonian infection from a bug bite or something.

My Girlfriend had it in year 8 or 9 - sounds horrible. She had to have tons of blood tests before they actually picked it up
She said she would be constantly more tired than you can believe, but no matter how much you sleep it just gets worse, not better - she'd get back from school, go to sleep until the next morning but feel no better at all.

I think there are varying degrees of it though

It seems the season for it. Two of my mates have got it in the last 2 weeks. When I was in primary school the school dentist had it and as a result everyone had to get a blood test. Pretty terrible stuff. Anyway, hope you don't have it. It's not really dangerous but certainly is very inconvienient and undesirable!

My Girlfriend had it in year 8 or 9 - sounds horrible. She had to have tons of blood tests before they actually picked it up
She said she would be constantly more tired than you can believe, but no matter how much you sleep it just gets worse, not better - she'd get back from school, go to sleep until the next morning but feel no better at all.

I think there are varying degrees of it though
Did she make a MNI test? From far it's look like a viral desease, Epstein-Barr Virus infection a kind of herpes virus: fever , pharyngitis, sometime hepatisis, tired, adenopathies, and so on.... that come from the split (the kiss) specially toward teen-ager or young peoples. It's can during for month ago!!!! and no real medication just to be on rest and waiting . I take this informations from the Internal Desease Cecil Handbook Treaty, a very good american medical book. By the way I'm general physican. So I'm estonished of this subject in this forum. May be I'am wrong too. Difficult to say without medicals documents.

Yeah it's possible , I have a friend who lost 3 stone after a bad bout of glandular fever had to quit rugby for ages and all , I was suspected as having it and they wanted me to do a blood test , I told the doctor where he could go with his needles :p

Yupp the Doctor said I cant play Rugby till I know for sure I'm better/dont have it (which is a pity because I was about to sign up with one of the local teams near my uni) because if you take a big hit in the abdomen there's a likely chance your spleen might rupture. Something to do with it being enlarged from working in overdrive against the virus.
This was actually my first blood test ever, weird experience tbf!

Generally do feel tired, am a student with a ridiculous sleeping pattern though so am usually fairly tired anyway. Mai symptom I told him that made him maybe suspect that I have it was I said I cant drink any alcohol at all without feeling really ill. Went out and had about 2 pints of cider (good pear cider too, not shitty Strongbow or anything) and had to stop as I felt ridiculously rough. Not normal for me at all! Apparently the virus can cause liver inflammation, which could explain that.

Latest posts