• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Glasgow v Ospreys

A

An Tarbh

<div align='center'>
Glasgow.png
Ospreys.png
</div>

The Ospreys certainly travel to Glasgow with a point to prove having suffered back to back home defeats.

Their cause will be boosted by the return to the squad of Ian Evans and Ryan Jones should also be back in contention.

Ospreys (from): Backs: Lee Byrne, Barry Davies, Nikki Walker, Tommy Bowe, Shane Williams, Sonny Parker, Gareth Owen, James Hook, Dan Biggar, Jamie Nutbrown, Mike Phillips.
Forwards: Paul James, Duncan Jones, Richard Hibbard, Huw Bennett, Craig Mitchell, Alun-Wyn Jones, Ian Evans, Jonathan Thomas, Jerry Collins, Tom Smith, Steve Tandy, Filo Tiatia, Ryan Jones.

Note the fact that there's only one 'Speciliced' centre, plus Gareth Owen who everyone's keen to see played in midfield... And James Hook.

No doubt they'll be shuffling him about in preperation for the HEC and AIs.

Good to see Evans back, and glad Holah's finally been dropped. Too many mistakes already- Not least the match-costing one last weekend.

Hopefully we'll see Shane start. He was good last game, bar the one poor kick. And we all remember his game before that for the Lions...

Thought Shanes cameo last week was appalling. Was like his early Lions performances, trying too hard and handing posetion back to the opponents because of it. It was of course unlucky that his pass bounced off Jackman, but he shouldn't have been trying to offload with a Leinster player in the way in the first place.

Were all hoping that last Lions game has given Shane the extra confidence to come out this season and replicate his 2008 season, but I'm really not sure. If he's not carefull, he might find it difficult to get a regular spot in the Ospreys backline, let alone in Wales'.

Looking at that squad, who will be playing 7? I'd have expected Ben Lewis to be there as a diret replacement for Holah. I'm sure we'll now see Jonathan Thomas playing openside. Not atall happy with that, not that he can't do a decent job, but becasue he's getting messed around something stupid. He's quite possibly Wales' best blindise flanker, yet he's had to play two games in the second row and probably another at openside for club. That is just unfair on a bloke who's just come back from injury and is trying to force his way back into Welsh contention.

There's nothing that makes you more excited than seeing Shane Williams make a break, I find because around 80% of the time, he'll make it.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DuncTheDoodle @ Sep 22 2009, 06:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
There's nothing that makes you more excited than seeing Shane Williams make a break, I find because around 80% of the time, he'll make it.[/b]

Ospreys will look more all round so interesting to see how Jerry Collins blends in with pack like will he put in effort like last week or be a slob like in Toulon.
Ospreys must be wondering how blessed they are to be spoilt with back 3 options but think in past 6 - 9 months Shane has been putting too much pressure on because of Lions etc and in trying to do too much and over-elaborate his game which meant making mistakes

Glasgow Warriors team to play Ospreys

15 Bernardo Stortoni

14 Rob Dewey
13 Dave McCall
12 Graeme Morrison
11 Thom Evans

10 Dan Parks
9 Chris Cusiter

1 Jon Welsh
2 Dougie Hall
3 Moray Low
4 Tim Barker
5 Alastair Kellock CAPTAIN
6 Kelly Brown
7 John Barclay
8 Johnnie Beattie

Substitutes
16 Fergus Thomson
17 Kevin Tkachuk
18 Dan Turner
19 Richie Vernon
20 Mark McMillan
21 Colin Gregor
22 Hefin O’Hare

15 Lee Byrne
14 Tommy Bowe
13 Sonny Parker
12 James Hook
11 Shane Williams
10 Dan Biggar
9 Mike Phillips

1 Paul James
2 Huw Bennett
3 Craig Mitchell
4 Alun-Wyn Jones
5 Jonathan Thomas
6 Tom Smith
7 Steve Tandy
8 Ryan Jones ©

Replacements:
16 Richard Hibbard
17 Duncan Jones
18 Ian Evans
19 Jerry Collins
20 Jamie Nutbrown
21 Gareth Owen
22 Nikki Walker

Hook moved to Inside Centre- Wise choice, I say. You definatly want him on the field, but incase he has another shocker, it'd be a good choice to have Biggar there as well. Only complaint is that it's Sonny Parker, not Bish or Owen with him. Or, better yet, Bowe and have Walker on the other wing.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DuncTheDoodle @ Sep 24 2009, 05:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
15 Lee Byrne
14 Tommy Bowe
13 Sonny Parker
12 James Hook
11 Shane Williams
10 Dan Biggar
9 Mike Phillips

1 Paul James
2 Huw Bennett
3 Craig Mitchell
4 Alun-Wyn Jones
5 Jonathan Thomas
6 Tom Smith
7 Steve Tandy
8 Ryan Jones ©

Replacements:
16 Richard Hibbard
17 Duncan Jones
18 Ian Evans
19 Jerry Collins
20 Jamie Nutbrown
21 Gareth Owen
22 Nikki Walker

Hook moved to Inside Centre- Wise choice, I say. You definatly want him on the field, but incase he has another shocker, it'd be a good choice to have Biggar there as well. Only complaint is that it's Sonny Parker, not Bish or Owen with him. Or, better yet, Bowe and have Walker on the other wing.[/b]

Yeah I think Tommy is more than capable to play 13 and can strike from anywhere but big chance for Biggar to play himself in to been a regular at 10 as I personally think hook is a much better inside centre

Did anyone see Stephen Jones' opinion piece in the Times Online yesterday?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/rug...icle6845987.ece

Will the real Scott Johnson stand up?

When you look up the name Scott Johnson on Wikipedia, all sorts of characters emerge. There is Scott Johnson the composer, Scott Johnson the actor, a percussionist, a cartoonist and a guitarist in a band called the Gin Blossoms. There is also Scott Johnson, the rugby coach.

With the greatest respect, I have my suspicions that those who have employed Scott Johnson the rugby coach in the past may have inadvertently brought in the actor or the percussionist. Johnson is currently coaching the Ospreys, the club based in Swansea with the biggest gap between the team's talent and results in professional rugby history.

I have seen them on video twice in the past few weeks and they were absolutely abysmal on each occasion. Last weekend, they achieved the near-impossible feat of losing at home to a dire Leinster team. As the television commentators noticed, a stadium that was sparsely populated had become almost empty before the final whistle.

Oddly, Johnson has been lauded by some members of the Welsh squad, particularly those who befriended him when he was one of the coaches under Steve Hansen and Mike Ruddock. One book on that era casts doubt on whether Johnson was entirely supportive of Ruddock. Johnson also presided over a grim performance during a short period where he took over the Welsh team. He was not wildly successful when moving back to Australia to take up a position in the Wallabies squad either, nor did he fork any lightning in a sojourn in the United States.

Those of us who were incredulous that the Ospreys should deem him worthy of being head coach will now be anxiously scanning results because they really should be one of the powerhouses of European rugby. But unless the Ospreys start achieving very soon, then the substantial wage bill for all their superstars will weigh them down. Good luck to Johnson. He must have gifts. When Wales were beaten by Australia in 2007, Gareth Thomas presented Johnson, then the Wallaby's assistant coach, with his Welsh jersey after the final whistle. It was a gesture that some thought was touching but many found completely bizarre.

Johnson's talents have been hidden for a long time. Now is the right time for him to show us where they are.[/b]

Methinks he's not a fan of Scott Johnson! Nor am I if I'm honest.

Like DuncTheDoodle, I agree that Bowe in the centre with Walker on the wing is worth pursuing. Walker has looked great whenever he's played Leinster and that's all I base it on. Glasgow are decent though. I think their pack and controlling halfbacks can win this game narrowly. If that happens, Johnson could start feeling the pressure early in his tenure.

Should be great game especially as Glasgow have started the season well but hope to see Evans show his class on wing although think Glasgow miss Max Evans but agree that the glasgow pack are good and I like Barclay alot as player but it depends which Dan Parks turns up

I notcies this qute made my Sean Holley on the BBC website:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
Marty Holah has been one of our outstanding players in the early part of the season, so we're giving him a well earned rest.[/b]

Has he been watching other games, does he even know what game they're playing? Hollah has been atrocious in my view. Is he just trying to convince himself that Hollah is worth whatever rediculous wage they're paying him?

This is probably a better balanced team than the last few, but there are some odd selections in the pack. Their love for Paul James continues, and I've already said about Jonathan Thomas. Tom Smith get's another game, despite being quite average, and Tandy get's a start ahead of Ben Lewis?

I don't know what the outcome will be. As always, if the O's can string some kinda moves together, they could easily win. But after 2 poor performances, it aint looking good.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dullonien @ Sep 24 2009, 11:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I notcies this qute made my Sean Holley on the BBC website:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE
Marty Holah has been one of our outstanding players in the early part of the season, so we're giving him a well earned rest.[/b]

Has he been watching other games, does he even know what game they're playing? Hollah has been atrocious in my view. Is he just trying to convince himself that Hollah is worth whatever rediculous wage they're paying him?

This is probably a better balanced team than the last few, but there are some odd selections in the pack. Their love for Paul James continues, and I've already said about Jonathan Thomas. Tom Smith get's another game, despite being quite average, and Tandy get's a start ahead of Ben Lewis?

I don't know what the outcome will be. As always, if the O's can string some kinda moves together, they could easily win. But after 2 poor performances, it aint looking good.
[/b][/quote]

True that there is some questionable selections but if Ospreys can get the phases together i think they have beating of Glasgow in out wide

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (snoopy snoopy dog dog @ Sep 24 2009, 08:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Did anyone see Stephen Jones' opinion piece in the Times Online yesterday?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/rug...icle6845987.ece

Will the real Scott Johnson stand up?

When you look up the name Scott Johnson on Wikipedia, all sorts of characters emerge. There is Scott Johnson the composer, Scott Johnson the actor, a percussionist, a cartoonist and a guitarist in a band called the Gin Blossoms. There is also Scott Johnson, the rugby coach.

With the greatest respect, I have my suspicions that those who have employed Scott Johnson the rugby coach in the past may have inadvertently brought in the actor or the percussionist. Johnson is currently coaching the Ospreys, the club based in Swansea with the biggest gap between the team’s talent and results in professional rugby history.

I have seen them on video twice in the past few weeks and they were absolutely abysmal on each occasion. Last weekend, they achieved the near-impossible feat of losing at home to a dire Leinster team. As the television commentators noticed, a stadium that was sparsely populated had become almost empty before the final whistle.

Oddly, Johnson has been lauded by some members of the Welsh squad, particularly those who befriended him when he was one of the coaches under Steve Hansen and Mike Ruddock. One book on that era casts doubt on whether Johnson was entirely supportive of Ruddock. Johnson also presided over a grim performance during a short period where he took over the Welsh team. He was not wildly successful when moving back to Australia to take up a position in the Wallabies squad either, nor did he fork any lightning in a sojourn in the United States.

Those of us who were incredulous that the Ospreys should deem him worthy of being head coach will now be anxiously scanning results because they really should be one of the powerhouses of European rugby. But unless the Ospreys start achieving very soon, then the substantial wage bill for all their superstars will weigh them down. Good luck to Johnson. He must have gifts. When Wales were beaten by Australia in 2007, Gareth Thomas presented Johnson, then the Wallaby’s assistant coach, with his Welsh jersey after the final whistle. It was a gesture that some thought was touching but many found completely bizarre.

Johnson’s talents have been hidden for a long time. Now is the right time for him to show us where they are.[/b]

Methinks he's not a fan of Scott Johnson! Nor am I if I'm honest.

Like DuncTheDoodle, I agree that Bowe in the centre with Walker on the wing is worth pursuing. Walker has looked great whenever he's played Leinster and that's all I base it on. Glasgow are decent though. I think their pack and controlling halfbacks can win this game narrowly. If that happens, Johnson could start feeling the pressure early in his tenure.
[/b][/quote]

Meh, Stephen Jones spouts too much crap to be taken seriously by me tbh. Like the thing with Gareth Thomas giving Johnson his shirt, wtf has that got to do with anything?!

Sonny Parker says as soon as the Ospreys remember what Scott Johnson's been telling them and they play to it, they'll win. Sonny Parker had a shocker last match, so hopefully he'll be back on form this time round.

Shane needs to stop trying so hard =/
He made a run down the wing, three guys coming straight towards of him, instead of passing, he stops running, does a little dance, then gets bundled into touch :S

Parks controlling things with the boot. Ospreys have looked better than the last few weeks, but not quite there yet.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (crispy @ Sep 25 2009, 07:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I like Justin Marshall's commentary. He's got more to say than just "NUMBERS!".[/b]
Just as you say it..............

Pathetic from Glasgow, 1 man up and they let the Ospreys dominate the game and get a try? Really weak.

And now the Ospreys are up 3 points...terrible stuff.

and now Nikki Walker runs over Dewey to score after beating Evans on the outside. This is an All Blacks level of choking.

Latest posts