Teh Mite

TRF Legend
TRF Legend
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Northampton
Cash-strapped Gloucester face losing seven stars

Cash-strapped Gloucester face the daunting prospect of losing seven of their most influential players whose contracts end in May.

article-0-0CAB511B000005DC-315_306x414.jpg

Sell out: Gloucester lock Dave Attwood is one of seven influential players who could be on the way out to help cut the wage bill

The club have told their squad they need to slash the wage bill, ruling out pay rises — even cutting the money earned by some of the top names.

England forwards Paul Doran-Jones and Dave Attwood, and stand-off Nicky Robinson are already linked to moves.

Prop Doran-Jones, highly rated by England manager Martin Johnson, who has included him in his elite squad for the Six Nations, looks set to join Northampton.

They need to replace tight-head Euan Murray, who is now at Newcastle. Robinson has attracted interest from Sale, who need a replacement for Saracens-bound Charlie Hodgson, and the Ospreys.

Attwood would not be subjected to a pay cut as he was not an England player when he agreed his Gloucester contract.
Henry Trinder and Charlie Sharples each scored two tries as Gloucester ran riot in Rovigo yesterday, 55-7.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/article-1347570/Cash-strapped-Gloucester-face-losing-seven-stars.html

Be good for Doran-Jones under West if the rist of Tiny and Mujati are reliable barometers.

Nikki Robinson to Sale or Ospreys will spark a lot of debate: Stepehen Jones' career is at an end after the WC so I imagine a trip to Swansea would make him the Taffy 1st choice.

need to replace euan muarry?? i swear he was at saints

He quit/was pushed out (depending on who you talk to) because he wouldn't play Sundays. Newcastle only play Fridays so it makes sense.

He left for Newcastle a few weeks back

Hope Robinson doesn't come to Sale, never liked him

Don't agree with Doran-Jones going to Saints, just because they've got enough bloody top-class props, they should share the wealth :p

Nicky Robinson is not a bad player, relies on confidence. If he makes a couple of early mistakes then he will be dire for the rest of the game, starts well and then he is pretty decent.

He left for Newcastle a few weeks back

Hope Robinson doesn't come to Sale, never liked him

Don't agree with Doran-Jones going to Saints, just because they've got enough bloody top-class props, they should share the wealth :p

Uhm... Tiny, Mujati and...?

Northampton desperately need a third top class prop.

Who else are Gloucester in danger of losing?

Mercey (Saxon), Dreyer (good enough backup) & Waller are all in backup. PDJ would open the options for squad rotation, but the backup is more desperate then the front-line when Mallender is notorious for having an XV and sticking with them.

Well players out of contract at the end of this season :
Attwood
Azam
Brown
Capdeville
Cox
Doran-Jones
Hazell
Lewis
May
Pasqualin
Simpson-Daniel

Tindall
Voyce

Some we can afford to lose, but Attwood, PDJ, Sinbad, Tindall, Brown, Hazell and possibly Lewis I would say we can not. I don't see Haze or Sinbad or HRH going anywhere myself.

real shame this.

If Attwood goes, I hope he comes to Saracens. Vyvyan's getting no younger.

God knows how Sarries are under the salary cap as it is. Adding an extra 150k for Attwood would be a hell of a squeeze.

Unless they finally put Borthwick out of his (and everyone elses) misery...

Is there a way of paying players through royalties like they seem to do in the MLS?

Is there a way of paying players through royalties like they seem to do in the MLS?

That's been going on since the amatuer days - Did you know that Matt Dawson used to be a security guard for qa company called "Firm Security". That so happened to be owned by Keith Barwell? Or that Martin Johnson is still employed by the Next group?

In Saracens case, that'd mean Attwood would have to become a Pizza delivery boy.

Rumour however has it that Attwood is all but at Bath already mind. Danny Grewcock mk2.0 in every sense.

Hope Glaws don't loose too many more. They've got some great youngsters, but need to keep a spine there.

Fairly sure it's a fact that Vyvyan is getting no younger (gah, duckdee beat me to it!)

The other part, the "IF" and the "I HOPE" should give you a clue :p

Maybe it was just gingergenius' opinion, in that case.....

Latest posts