• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Gloucester sign Scarlets' Watkins

C

Cymro

Gloucester have announced the signing of Llanelli Scarlets and Wales centre Matthew J Watkins on a two-year deal.

The 29-year-old will join Gloucester at the end of the season, leaving Llanelli midway though a three-year deal.

Watkins, who has 18 Wales caps, has scored 33 tries in 123 appearances since joining the Scarlets in 2002.

Gloucester head coach Dean Ryan said: "Matthew will bring experience, big-game expertise and first-class attitude to our squad."

Watkins paid tribute to his former club: "I would like to thank everyone at Llanelli for their help and support during my time at Stradey Park. They are a fantastic club and I wish them every success in the future.

"When you talk of massive clubs in England and Europe, Gloucester are right up there and I am very fortunate that I now have the opportunity to test myself with them," he added.

"Their ambition is to be challenging regularly for honours and that is why this move is of such importance to me. It is a fantastic opportunity to take my career in a new and fresh direction and I cannot wait to get started." [/b]

Despite his 18 caps I'm not sure I've seen him play.

He'll have to be blinking good to get above Tindall, Barkley, Allen & Simpson-Daniel if he's going to play at centre.

Despite his 18 caps I'm not sure I've seen him play.

He'll have to be blinking good to get above Tindall, Barkley, Allen & Simpson-Daniel if he's going to play at centre. [/b]

Ha hes absolutly poor this lad, hes got worse not better over the years!

Gloucester's quest to sign every back in the world continues. Really not sure why they've gone for Watkins though, from what I've seen he doesn't look much above ordinary.

Gloucester's quest to sign every back in the world continues. Really not sure why they've gone for Watkins though, from what I've seen he doesn't look much above ordinary. [/b]
He's not even above 'shite' to be honest.

I`d say he is likely to perhaps sit on the bench during international weekends at best, very strange signing. I`ve also read that Adam "useless" Eustace could be coming back from the Scarlets but dont really know why.

Watkins isn't even good enough to sit on the Llanelli bench most times, so why on Earth would he move back to Gloucester? He'll probably get only one start all season.

Watkins isn't even good enough to sit on the Llanelli bench most times, so why on Earth would he move back to Gloucester? He'll probably get only one start all season.
[/b]
Perhams the craic hasnt been very good on the bus on the way home from away games so they need a good welsh singer. What do you know Sir Speedy is he a good singer?

Latest posts