• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Gloucester v Leeds (Sat)

G

getofmeland

<div align="center">Gloucester v Leeds
</div> GUINNESS PREMIERSHIP
Venue: Kingsholm Date: Saturday, 19 April Kick-off: 1500 BST
Coverage: Live commentary on BBC Radio Gloucestershire 1413 MW and on bbc.co.uk/gloucestershire, or listen live on the BBC Sport website
<div align="center">
_44573037_glos_leeds.gif

</div>
Gloucester boss Dean Ryan has changed half his pack from the team that beat Saracens, with prop Alasdair Dickinson handed his first Premiership start.

Olivier Azam, Will James and Gareth Delve also come in up front, while Cooper is in at scrum-half.

Leeds hand a Premiership debut to student winger Scott Armstrong.

Hooker James Parkes starts against his former club but Adam Balding, on loan from Gloucester, is not allowed to play under the terms of his deal.

Gloucester: Walker; Balshaw, Simpson-Daniel, Tindall, Vainikolo; Lamb, Cooper; Dickinson, Azam, Nieto, James, Bortolami (capt), Strokosch, Qera, Delve.
Replacements: ***terrell, Forster, Brown, Buxton, Lawson, Paterson, Morgan.

Leeds: Hinton; Armstrong, Vickerman, Burrell, Holtby; Di Bernardo, Bedford; MacDonald, Parkes, Pala'amo, Bouza, Hooper (capt); Oakley, Clark, Lock.
Replacements: Hopcroft, Ma'asi, Lund, Myall, Edwards, Brooks, Goodridge.

Gloucester wing Lesley Vainikolo told BBC Radio Gloucestershire that he would prefer to look forward rather than back to scoring five tries on his debut at Headingley on the opening day of the season:

"It's good to reminisce but that's in the past and this is now: I think Leeds will come here fired up and I don't think they'll give me any more of those chances.

"Every time I touch the ball I try to make the most of it. On the weekend I got more ball than I normally do, so it was good to have that.

"We're just need to come in together now and perform well."

From BBC Sport

Just going off to watch this game at Kingsholm and feel that this has to be a bonus point win. Anything else will be a dissapointment. Im sure we can score four tries against Leeds, I just hope they role over as easily as Saracens did last week. Prediction Glaws 55 Leeds 15 ??

Gloucester 39-16 Leeds
Gloucester (17) 39
Tries: Qera 3, Azam, Lamb Cons: Lamb 4 Pens: Lamb 2

Leeds (6) 13
Try: Edwards Cons: Brooks Pens: Di Bernardo 2 Drop: Di Bernardo

Leeds Carnegie's relegation from the Guinness Premiership was sealed after defeat by Gloucester at Kingsholm.

Fijian Akapusi Qera flanker crossed for three tries and fly-half Ryan Lamb scored 19 points to keep the Cherry and Whites at the top of the table.

After Lamb converted Qera's opening try, Leeds hit back with two Alberto di Bernardo penalties.

But Qera set up Olivier Azam just before the half-hour to turn the match decisively for the home side.

Qera drove over from an attacking line-out just seconds after Leeds replacement Vili Ma'asi was sin-binned for illegally holding back Will James.

And he grabbed his third try on 68 minutes, which Lamb converted, while replacement Darren Edwards got a consolation try at the end for Leeds as Gloucester eased off.

Leeds, whose place next year will be taken by Northampton Saints, lasted just a single season in the top flight.

But head coach Stuart Lancaster said they have learned a massive amount from the experience.

"The Premiership is moving on a yearly basis. We've learnt a lot of lessons both technically and tactically," he said.

"You only have to look at Gloucester, with the strength they have in their squad, and it is a big gulf.

"National League One is an extremely tricky league to be in and we will just work hard and try to get out of it."

Gloucester coach Dean Ryan paid tribute to the Yorkshire side's fight.

"All we wanted to do was win and get a bonus point. It was difficult and Leeds deserve enormous credit," he said.

"We had to change tactically at half-time to be more direct otherwise we would not get the bonus point.

"Leeds kept putting the onus back on us to play."

Gloucester: Walker; Balshaw, Simpson-Daniel, Tindall, Vainikolo; Lamb, Cooper; Dickinson, Azam, Nieto, James, Bortolami (capt), Strokosch, Qera, Delve.
Replacements: ***terrell, Forster, Brown, Buxton, Lawson, Paterson, Morgan.

Leeds: Hinton; Armstrong, Vickerman, Burrell, Holtby; Di Bernardo, Bedford; MacDonald, Parkes, Pala'amo, Bouza, Hooper (capt); Oakley, Clark, Lock.
Replacements: Hopcroft, Ma'asi, Lund, Myall, Edwards, Brooks, Goodridge.

From BBC Sport

Job done for Glaws with the win and the bonus point ahead of Wasps away and Bath at home. Massive amount of credit goes to Leeds whose defence bordered on heroic at times. Qera has to be the best signing we have made for years. Dynamic in all phases of the game he could have scored 5 by the end. Were still top and in a great position. I think we will lose to Wasps then beat Barf at home to take a top 2 finish. Fear for us at Twickers as always.

Latest posts