• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Gloucester vs Northampton preview

S

Saint N Sinner

Gloucester vs Northampton Saints preview

24th September 2005

Well here it is again, Gloucester, so how many will they put past us?

Ever since the treacherous PG cup final back in 2002, this fixture has to be one to highlight in my season along with many other fans I’m sure.

But this time, Northampton travel to Gloucester looking for an important confidence boosting win as 1 win and 2 defeats from the last 3 games isn’t something to jump around about but, if you look at Northampton’s situation last season, we can’t really complain when comparison comes into play.

Gloucester on the other hand have come away with 11 points from the opening 3 games. First of all, a gruelling 15-15 draw away to Worcester, but then coming away with the 4 much-needed points at home to Sale, and then away at Bristol.

Placed 3rd in the GP after 3 games is nothing to feel negative about, after all London Wasps and Leicester Tigers are only a couple of points above them. Something the boys in cherry and whites will feel very confident about going into there next fixture, hosting Northampton Saints.

Playing away from home is never easy, and playing at Kingsholm is never an easy task, with plenty of committed fans at the ready. But maybe, just maybe, Northampton can pull one back against one of the powerhouses of rugby, Gloucester.

Northampton look to overcome there 16-9 defeat to Newcastle Falcons last weekend, by coming away with at least a bonus point, but is everyone really hoping for that? Maybe a win would set things right but at Kingsholm, you can never right-off your opposition for one moment.

Things are all over the place for Northampton as they look to rebuild after the debacle of a season ridden with injuries, controversy, and plenty of negativity. But the spirit of the club is still there, and its alive and kicking.

Anyone can’t expect to see Northampton bounce back from last year to win the GP or maybe anything at all, but to see the club rise and rebuild would be a objective for club coaches Paul Grayson, and Budge Pountney. Both being long servants for the club and international duty has seen these two become some of Britain’s best.

Bouncebackabilty maybe needed but, no miracles are expected. Northampton will hopefully settle for a mid-table finish. And Gloucester, well, at the rate things are going might just snatch the GP for the first time in a long while. As there last challenge for the premiership ***le was all for nothing as London Wasps came back after a poor start to grab the trophy at a packed out Twickenham, back in 2002.

All I can say the season, is going to be a fascinating one, hopefully for both teams.

Both teams are not going to give away points, well that’s what they wouldn’t want anyway. My prediction is a 21-12 victory to Gloucester. I’m praying that I am mistaken, and Northampton can turn the tables but, I cannot see a victory down in the Kingsholm for the men in BG&G I am afraid.

Come on you saints!

Preview written by Air Ben/saintsfan24_

Latest posts