• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Goal of the century???

D

dobrien7

Anyone see Xabi Alonso score the 2nd for Liverpool v Newcastle from about 60m out?

The media have labelled it Goal of this Century (so far I suppose).

What do you think?

Fantastic goal

Goal of the season so far?... probably

Goal of the century?... get ya hand off it, i'm guessing the NZ media came up with that one.

He's lucky he got it in because just like his goal last year (against Luton) Gerrard was wide open.

Anyone see Xabi Alonso score the 2nd for Liverpool v Newcastle from about 60m out?

The media have labelled it Goal of this Century (so far I suppose).

What do you think?
[/b]

Nah, it was a great piece of opportunism but it wasn't really that well struck...the keeper wants slapping for letting it past him.

Just cos everton couldnt sign him... If it wasnt for Heysel you could of... ;)

Keeper slipped although was struggling to reach it even if he hadnt slipped... so i suppose its a case of good spot, great goal... you only see goals like that once in a players career in alonso's case Twice!!!

Fantastic goal

Goal of the century?... get ya hand off it, i'm guessing the NZ media came up with that one.

He's lucky he got it in because just like his goal last year (against Luton) Gerrard was wide open.
[/b]

when you say century, is it since 2001 or do you include the 20th ? 'cause i know several that were scored in the 80' or 90' that are certainly better than this one ... i'm thinking of Van Basten in ajax-den bosch he did THE perfect bicycle kick with his weak foot in the top corner ... if you can find it on the net ... and what about Weah, at the time he was playing for ac milan, when he caught the ball in his box on a corner kick and ran all the way up to score a 80m goal !!! check it and you will see (sorry, i've got no link to give but its really worth searching)

and in the 21th century ... what about Zidane's goal in the 2002 ChL final ?

<div class='quotemain'>
Fantastic goal

[/b]

when you say century, is it since 2001 or do you include the 20th ? 'cause i know several that were scored in the 80' or 90' that are certainly better than this one ...
[/b][/quote]

But are you saying that you haven't seen a better goal then that since 2000?

I could think of atleast 5 goals scored by Gerrard since 2000 that were better than this one.

Still a great goal though.

A shot like that shouldn't really trouble a goalkeeper though...It was impressive the way it bounced actually on the line though.

It's a cheeky one but not really a great bit of football.

SB

A shot like that shouldn't really trouble a goalkeeper though...It was impressive the way it bounced actually on the line though.

It's a cheeky one but not really a great bit of football.
[/b]

Agree with that.

Was disappointed when I actually saw it after the way the papers had been raving about it. Doesn't compare to Beckham's goal against Wimbledon for me.

Good goal? Yes. Great goal? Yes. Greatest of the century? f*** no.

He had good vision to spy Harper so far off his line and a good boot to get it on target from so far out, but in all honestly it was an open goal once he fell over.

As Webby said, Beckham v Wimbledon ****** all over it...

However as for Goal of this century, a certain volley effort from Di Canio must be the first choice.

Goal of the century? That just makes me laugh.

It was a good goal - but more from the angle of someone taking an opportmistic strike and benefiting from some poor play by the 'keeper.

You could argue that Ronaldinho's strike against England at the 2002 World Cup was a better goal.

However from a technical point-of-view it would be hard to go past goals such as Zidane's champion league final strike or Bergkamp's "Greek-statue" goal against Newcastle United (not sure what year that was though).

And then there are loads of other goals that are simply better than Alonso's.

De Canio's volley was awesome... it was a leaping karate kick.

for mine you cant go past Ronahldinio's free kick against england in '02 world cup.

the margin for error was so small he had to get that shot completely right.

and to have the balls to try that.... that was the moment the footballing world first noticed that goofy *******... absolute class he is.

De Canio's volley was awesome... it was a leaping karate kick.

for mine you cant go past Ronahldinio's free kick against england in '02 world cup.

and to have the balls to try that.... that was the moment the footballing world first noticed that goofy *******... absolute class he is.
[/b]

I love this one...curling into the far corner, defender in attendance and he had to get it under control for the volley :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jW_tMWbxuG4

Goal of the century? Never in a million years.

Goal of the season? Quite possibly. I think some of you are being a bit harsh on Steve Harper as well. I'm well aware of the fact that he slipped but for me he was struggling anyway because of the height and trajectory on the ball. It dipped horribly as well.

Just watched it several times on the eseason ticket and the keeper isn't as horribly at fault as I initially thought he was at the match.

[/b]

euh sorry mate but ronaldinho said it himself after the match he had been lucky, he didn't want to do that at all ...

for this season drogba's goal was not that bad eigther

anyone saw the goal i said ? Van Basten in Ajax-Den Bosch ? you should search for it

<div class='quotemain'>

[/b]

euh sorry mate but ronaldinho said it himself after the match he had been lucky, he didn't want to do that at all ...

anyone saw the goal i said ? Van Basten in Ajax-Den Bosch ? you should search for it
[/b][/quote]

So? I'd say 99% of all goals have a little bit of luck involved. Virtually every sport is like that.

i know luck is involved in every goal ... but ronaldinho said it ... he wanted to centre the ball in the box ... not in the top corner !!! i didn't invent that i just saw it.

and why do you say 99% ? its is defenetly 100%. even at 1m from the goal you need luck ... otherwise liverpool would not be the 2005 ChL winner (remember shevchenko at the end of the extra time ...)

<div class='quotemain'>

[/b]

[/b][/quote]

they call it being modest.... no player could kick that badly and end up doing that..

you must be a bitter PSG fan to believe that.

yes he was very lucky...99 times out of 100 he would cock that shot up. but he meant to do that.

Immedeatly after that goal, Ronaldinho ran straight to thecrowd and shouted "HEY YOU GUYS!".

Sorry, Sloth related jokes are now instinct whenever he's mentioned.

Latest posts