• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

GOD set for final season.

P

Prestwick

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/31843/...-final-knees-up

His Royal Highness Richard Hill WCW LL HT LG* has (very quietly) announced that he is to retire at the end of this season.

Unlike other players whose name I could mention, rather than announce his retirement in a blaze of autobiographies, stingy comments and general publicity, god-like flanker Richard had to be caught out by making an off hand comment to a member of the press while discussing his team Saracens chances in this years HEC.

A guy who in his prime got to the breakdown before the breakdown even began, who staked his reputation on quietly breaking off of the back of a lineout and nailing the openside winger before they even thought about doing anything with the ball. An incredibly humble and amazing player who will be sorely missed from English and Saracen's set up.

(* key: WCW = World Cup Winner, LL = Living Legend, HT = Holy Trinity member, LG = Living God)

Now that the RWC is over, you start seeing the national teams break apart and being damn near torn asunder by retirements and all. Would be interesting to see how the likes of Tom Croft and the other rising talents fill in his boots. Someone ought to write an article bout Hill.

I'd write a proposal for HRH Mr Hill to be put into the Hall of Fame. His work was simply crucial between 1997 and 2003 and some of the standards he has set have yet to be matched by flankers the world over since.

He is also the reason why I have an open mind on high profile flankers like Richie McCaw.

Yes, one of those quiet giants that every great team needs. What a shame he never really came back from injury.

He was the most sung about unsung hero in rugby by the time he reached the RWC 03. A great player respected by all.

It is a shame to see him leave the game, he's one of the very few backrow players I don't hate (the only others being Tim Rodber and Chabal).

Re. the comments above about him, I'd actually go so far to call him the key player for England in 2003 ahead of even Martin Johnson, (******** to what the media and part-time fans say about Wilkinson). He'll be missed.

Such a shame he plays for such a shite club like Saracens though. Week in, week out, nobody gets to watch him play. Because they have no fans...

It is a shame to see him leave the game, he's one of the very few backrow players I don't hate (the only others being Tim Rodber and Chabal).

Re. the comments above about him, I'd actually go so far to call him the key player for England in 2003 ahead of even Martin Johnson, (******** to what the media and part-time fans say about Wilkinson). He'll be missed.

Such a shame he plays for such a shite club like Saracens though. Week in, week out, nobody gets to watch him play. Because they have no fans... [/b]

What about the English Scotsman Budge Puntney?

Such a shame he plays for such a shite club like Saracens though. Week in, week out, nobody gets to watch him play. Because they have no fans... [/b]

Could be worse, he could play for a 'decent' team and find himself in the National Division One like Quins' and Northampton snobs have in seperate seasons. :bleh!:

Yes, one of those quiet giants that every great team needs.
[/b]

Even England - given the injury problems in the back row and the complete lack of leadership on the pitch on Saturday, they could do worse than give HRHRH a run out in a white Jersey (even if it'll only be for 50 minutes)!

Latest posts