• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Going big time

Sinbad

Academy Player
Country Flag
United States
I'm an American college level rugby player at the scrumhalf and wing position, I'll probably be at about 170lbs at 5'8'' by the end of college. I run a 11.6 100m dash and I'm a solid tackler and great passer.

That's just a little background. I'm curious about the opportunities overseas. As an American I'm not familiar with playing overseas and I'm wondering about the odds of being able to play professionally in any country other than the USA which has top levels but doesn't offer pay. It seems as if it is very possible because of all the professional leagues in many countries. What would you suggest I do in order to increase my chances of joining a professional team and is it more difficult than I think it is?

Thanks

Not great, if i'm being honest.
The majority of players will come through the ranks of an academy, or be poached from the better amateur teams, at a youngish age (in England anyhow)

Sent from my MB200 using Tapatalk

I'm an American college level rugby player at the scrumhalf and wing position, I'll probably be at about 170lbs at 5'8'' by the end of college. I run a 11.6 100m dash and I'm a solid tackler and great passer.

That's just a little background. I'm curious about the opportunities overseas. As an American I'm not familiar with playing overseas and I'm wondering about the odds of being able to play professionally in any country other than the USA which has top levels but doesn't offer pay. It seems as if it is very possible because of all the professional leagues in many countries. What would you suggest I do in order to increase my chances of joining a professional team and is it more difficult than I think it is?

Thanks

Given your situation, your best chance will be to get better every year and gain a full understanding of the game while playing in college then...join a div II/III club after college, excel there...move up to a div I club, excel there. If you excel at the senior div I level in the states, you'll absolutely get attention from talent scouts overseas...but not until then. It would be much easier if you were playing div I football as a lineman/linebacker then transition to rugby as a prop or loose forward after college because you'll still be using the same core skills and you'll have the size/physicality to play high priority positions for rugby union. Given you're size, you'll almost have to wear the no 9, 10 , 11, 14 or 15 jerseys and all of these positions require a very advanced understanding of the game.

Slim mate ... only about 1 player a year coming through the underage will get onto the extended panel of a top professional team.
Even though your running times suggest you have alot of gas and severe potential the difference between professional and college rugby is a big one.

Best way to do it is to work your way up in the US game. And hope for overseas scouts.

I'd say your best bet would be to transfer to a college in the UK tbh. Play rugby there and hope you can come to the attention of some of the clubs.

Given your situation, your best chance will be to get better every year and gain a full understanding of the game while playing in college then...join a div II/III club after college, excel there...move up to a div I club, excel there. If you excel at the senior div I level in the states, you'll absolutely get attention from talent scouts overseas...but not until then. It would be much easier if you were playing div I football as a lineman/linebacker then transition to rugby as a prop or loose forward after college because you'll still be using the same core skills and you'll have the size/physicality to play high priority positions for rugby union. Given you're size, you'll almost have to wear the no 9, 10 , 11, 14 or 15 jerseys and all of these positions require a very advanced understanding of the game.

Just a follow-up to my original post...

While I mentioned 11 and 14 as possibilities, I believe you should definitely focus on the 9 and 10 as you don't have the sort of pace to play wing at the level you mentioned in your original post. You've got a shot mate but, at your size, you've really got to work at it and learn the positions mentioned above while acquiring as broad a skill set as possible in the next 2-3 years...especially kicking (drop goals, conversions, punting, etc). Set a goal and a time frame and GO FOR IT! Cheers!

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I definitely plan on focusing on #9 because of my weight and quickness. I'll probably end up playing for a super league team (top US division) in the US that I got invited to train with in the summer. Hopefully I can improve from there and play for the national squad. I'm very optomistic. Also I've looked into this thing called Inside Running Recruitment and I'm hoping that will lead me somewhere if it's legit.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I definitely plan on focusing on #9 because of my weight and quickness. I'll probably end up playing for a super league team (top US division) in the US that I got invited to train with in the summer. Hopefully I can improve from there and play for the national squad. I'm very optomistic. Also I've looked into this thing called Inside Running Recruitment and I'm hoping that will lead me somewhere if it's legit.

Yes, The US Super League is the "US Senior Men's Div I" I was referring to. It's the best rugby available in North America so work your butt off and improve your kicking until the summer as this skill alone(especially conversions and penalties...but ) will expedite things considerably. I assume from your original post that your passing is already pretty fair. Let me know how it goes!

Also, what's Inside Running Recruitment?

Yea, I'm hoping 3 more years of training with them in the summer while in college will give me a headstart before actually playing with them. Inside Running Recruitment is some agency you can sign up for and they try to set you up to play with lower division teams overseas. Thanks for the positive feedback.

Yea, I'm hoping 3 more years of training with them in the summer while in college will give me a headstart before actually playing with them. Inside Running Recruitment is some agency you can sign up for and they try to set you up to play with lower division teams overseas. Thanks for the positive feedback.

Great to hear that there is finally a talent pipeline for rugby in the US. Make the most of the opportunity and WORK ON YOUR GOAL KICKING ...this skill alone will make you a VERY attractive prospect. Cheers.

Latest posts