• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Going from rugby to soccer

Zed

Bench Player
Country Flag
Australia
Club or Nation
Force
I’ve got a shoulder injury so can’t play rugby for 6 months, my mate plays soccer/football (in Australia) and suggested I came down and play. Was after some advice from any football players on whether or not I’ll make a *** of myself. I played a bit in high school and the odd game of 5 a side every now and again, but I would say I was pretty average. I can’t really dribble, no idea how to head the ball, I can’t kick or pass off my left foot and I don’t think I would be able to boot the ball downfield accurately. I’m pretty fit and quick so can chase guys down and tackle them and watching a couple of games, a lot of the guys don’t look fit or quick, but are skilful. It’s not a very high league, I would say it’s social, but they seem to take it pretty seriously, so don’t want to come on and f**k things up for them! Thoughts.

I'm in the same boat...luckily some of the guys on this "deployment" get together twice a week to play touch but there's futsal in one of the tennis courts a few more times per week. If I don't participate in any of this i'll have no self discipline to run on days off. I can tell I lost speed, maybe it's age too haha. I have zero football skills. When I have kids, they are going to be soccer kids until they're old enough to be "tough" haha...I just think it builds a good base for other sports, seeing my teammates and other players who've played when they were younger.

I play 5 a side (on the side) similar to you I'm not a skilful player and was taken back about how serious people take it even for a social league. End of the day I play Goalie or Defender mainly becuase I'm more physical than the opposition, and can read the ball alright.

My team tends to play 1, 2, 1, 1 I think most teams are like that so mainly just stick to the back and try to learn to read the play a lot of players are predictable when it comes to passing the play and with game time you should be able to learn to pick things up just as long as you make your tackles people won't care about your skill levels.

(Depending on your size muscle wise try and be slightly intimidating not the dick who is trying to bully someone but just stay on the strikers shoulders).

Latest posts