• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Golden Lions v Lions

A

An Tarbh

So a stuttering start for the Lions but, scant consolation I know, at least they finished their match strongly.

Earls is the major doubt having picked up a shoulder injury, it's unlikely he would have featured regardless of how poor his performance was.

You'd expect to see major changes as they look to give everyone a run on the opening 3 or 4 games. So what changes are we likely to see?

What sort of lineup will we be expecting from the Golden Lions as well?

I think this well be another tight game, with the B and I Lions edging it again..

Wel, i think they will keep the positives of Bowe, Byrne in the XV and switch a few things around. It's not the team was crap, it was just they must have been so rusty to have so many unforced errors. Also, they know themselves a bit better now. I think a bit more experience will come in like Vickery at prop etc.

On the plus side, this one can't be any worse.

Let's just hope Earles never wears a Lions shirt again and Mears doesn't have to hover above a white line at scrum-time... Instinctively, he'll attempt to snort it.

It'll be interesting to see the back row for this one. Wallace did himself no favours yesterday. there should be a good ol' battle for the test spots between Ferris, Heaslip, Croft and Powell. atm Williams has the edge on Wallace, although Wallace was parachuted in yesterday and Worsley was also fairly inconspicious yesterday.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (noidsay @ May 31 2009, 12:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
It'll be interesting to see the back row for this one. Wallace did himself no favours yesterday. there should be a good ol' battle for the test spots between Ferris, Heaslip, Croft and Powell. atm Williams has the edge on Wallace, although Wallace was parachuted in yesterday and Worsley was also fairly inconspicious yesterday.[/b]

Williams playing in natural position was anonymous for large parts of the game so when Wallace gets a chance to play at openside then the comparisons can be made but Wallace has had a great international season so should still be favourite to start the test ahead of Williams.

Croft shouldn't have enough to displace Ferris especially if the latter keeps his 6N form going and Heaslip should be nailed on for 8 barring injury.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Fa'atau82 @ May 31 2009, 12:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Wel, i think they will keep the positives of Bowe, Byrne in the XV and switch a few things around. It's not the team was crap, it was just they must have been so rusty to have so many unforced errors. Also, they know themselves a bit better now. I think a bit more experience will come in like Vickery at prop etc.[/b]

He's already said he's going with a new XV barring injuries.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Teh Mite @ May 31 2009, 11:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
On the plus side, this one can't be any worse.

Let's just hope Earles never wears a Lions shirt again[/b]

You're right...he's 21. Career's effectively over after that performance. Someone right that down. NEVER AGAIN.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Teh Mite @ May 31 2009, 10:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
So that meant he WASN'T ****?[/b]

he was below par but it's a bit far saying "he shouldn't be let anywhere near a lions jersey". hes only 21 and theres always the lions 2013 :bravo:

Anyway. Back to what's important. So there's gonna be an entirely different team. Leinster lads and Euan Murray back in. I suspect it'll be Phillips - Jones, backrow will hopefully see Ferris Get his chance with him being unfortunate not to play yesterday.

Backline of:

9. Phillips
10. Jones
11. Monye
12.. Flutey
13. Bod (though who knoes if they'll risk him....though they can't cotton wool him the entire tour)
14. Fitzgerald
15. Kearney.

frontrow will Hopefully be Jenkins Ford Murray,#
God know what'll happen in the second row.
Backrow: 6. Ferris/Croft 7. Haven't a clue since the 2 number 7s both played yesterday 8 Heaslip/Powell

i think there is a good chance of DOC - Hines second row combination with POC or Alun Wyn Jones on the bench. To be honest, i think it'll be a much stronger lions team and hopfully i much better game.

They were going to try another combination this game whatever happened but this will make the game even more interesting. I think the Golden Lions will bounce back strongly after all of this drama thats been going on behind the scenes. Teams that are seriously stung by off the pitch BS tend to come back and take out their anger on whoever is playing them so I think the Lions better watch out.

Trying DOC with AWJ would be a good idea and having Tom Croft in at 6 partnering Stephen Ferris at 7 and Jamie Heaslip at 8 would be ideal for experimentation.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Prestwick @ May 31 2009, 10:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
They were going to try another combination this game whatever happened but this will make the game even more interesting. I think the Golden Lions will bounce back strongly after all of this drama thats been going on behind the scenes. Teams that are seriously stung by off the pitch BS tend to come back and take out their anger on whoever is playing them so I think the Lions better watch out.

Trying DOC with AWJ would be a good idea and having Tom Croft in at 6 partnering Stephen Ferris at 7 and Jamie Heaslip at 8 would be ideal for experimentation.[/b]

Well it should be Croft at openside and not Ferris who should be asked to play out of position, he's in pole for the test spot so no point in messing about with him ahead of the tests.

Well it is tough because they are both very versatile players. Also note that as Croft does most of his time at Lock for Leicester he would also be playing out of position. I think it'd be a challenge the likes of Croft and Ferris would be up for.

Considering that Geechs has played Byrne and Sheridan for example who are prime candidates for test starting places, I think he's up for getting all 30 players out there in the 7 tour games before and between the test series.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Prestwick @ May 31 2009, 10:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Well it is tough because they are both very versatile players. Also note that as Croft does most of his time at Lock for Leicester he would also be playing out of position. I think it'd be a challenge the likes of Croft and Ferris would be up for.

Considering that Geechs has played Byrne and Sheridan for example who are prime candidates for test starting places, I think he's up for getting all 30 players out there in the 7 tour games before and between the test series.[/b]

well Sheridan certainly isn't up for a test spot but I wasn't questioning that either wouldn't be up for the challenge more the fact that the challenge shouldn't be posed on such a short tour.

15. Kearney
14. Fitzgerald
13. BOD
12.Flutey
11. Monye
10. Jones
9. Phillips

1. Jenkins
2. Ford
3.Murray
4. Hines
5. DOC
6. Croft
7. Wallace
8. Powell

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cyRil of Ospreylia @ Jun 1 2009, 09:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
12.Flutey

2. Ford

7. Wallace

8. Powell[/b]
Crucial selections. First three could work nicely. No confidence in Powell, but the Saffers worship him as a minor deity.

Latest posts