• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Gonzalo Quesada in favour of scrapping 6 Nations in WC year

Why not be more radical and reduce it to 4 nations? Let's face it, 90% of the time the same 2 nations occupy the bottom 2 spots in the 6N (Scotland and Italy) and their W/L record against the rest is laughable. Drop them both down to a Tier 2 with Romania and Georgia, have home and away games and then the loser of T1 plays the winner of T2. The winner of that is T1 next time and the loser is T2.

Maybe also rebrand it the 8 nations as an overaching term for the 2 tiers.

I really think it would be better to have it later on in the year, ideally after the club season, which is far too long and one reason why the northern hemisphere countries aren't doing as well.

I can see the logic behind cutting the 6N, but I'm eager to see the way we turn after our WC failure and things are pretty fresh for most teams after a 6N which is exciting.
I'd really like it if we could do something to bring in the tier two nations and offer them some incentive for improvement. I think a playoff between the worst of 'Six Nations A' and the best of 'B' is a fair way of doing it as it can only improve the quality for everyone if it becomes the case Italy or Scotland (less likely) fall below scratch. Only one extra game per year for the two playoff teams.

Anyway, to give an actual answer...

If the clubs want to find the 6N countries' loss of earnings due to no 6N, we'll talk.

I suspect the clubs' answer would be they want to know where their loss of earnings is for international windows (although the English clubs are already compensated for most of them, just not the World Cup). And so on.

And eventually we'd reach the answer "Scrap the World Cup".

So, to save time, scrap the World Cup.

Anyway, to give an actual answer...

If the clubs want to find the 6N countries' loss of earnings due to no 6N, we'll talk.

I suspect the clubs' answer would be they want to know where their loss of earnings is for international windows (although the English clubs are already compensated for most of them, just not the World Cup). And so on.

And eventually we'd reach the answer "Scrap the World Cup".

So, to save time, scrap the World Cup.

Hey I said that!!

You just gave great reasoning though!!!

Can't we dump the domestic play offs and put the summer tours off for a couple of weeks so we can have a summer 6 nations then head in to the tours ? Our teams would of spent more concentrated time together and playing 8 games from May to the end of June ?

Can't we dump the domestic play offs and put the summer tours off for a couple of weeks so we can have a summer 6 nations then head in to the tours ? Our teams would of spent more concentrated time together and playing 8 games from May to the end of June ?

Quite like this idea, makes a bit more sense than the set up we've got now.

Can't see any of the unions or clubs going for it though. They're all too stubborn and set in their ways to ever consider sitting round the table to make things better...

Quite like this idea, makes a bit more sense than the set up we've got now.

Can't see any of the unions or clubs going for it though. They're all too stubborn and set in their ways to ever consider sitting round the table to make things better...

.....better for whom that is the question? Certainly not the clubs!!

.....better for whom that is the question? Certainly not the clubs!!

They already have one of the longest seasons in the world, they aren't exactly in the best position to complain about losing a few more games when the potential benefits are quite nice. I've never really agreed with the idea that rugby must be a winter sport, that's the mentality that says rugby should be a slog fest in a muddy field where things like handling skills, quick running, agility etc are second to brawn.

There is one thing that seems to have gone unnoticed is the players holidays, presuming we talk about a month minimum per year where do you fit that in.If you go with summer 6 Nations and then summer tours, the French Top 14 starts the 2/3 week of August. Before anything is to happen i think that all domestic leagues in Europe should have the same no. of teams and the same no. of relegation which at the moment is not happening. The players especially in France play far too many games at the moment, hence the massive amount of injuries that happen. I quite like a 2 tier 6 Nations withplay offs, but this also incites even more game, perhaps just promotion and relegation could sort that problem out.The problem will always exist that the clubs and the federations are at loggerheads until the salary caps are adherred too, England and France have to sort this out but cant see that happening!!!!!!!!

Latest posts