good old ulster

Conal

First XV
Country Flag
Ireland
Club or Nation
Ulster
http://www.irishrugby.ie/news/23165.php

'Ulster's Giant Challenge’ has been devised by the IRFU, Ulster Rugby and Sport NI - the objective is to provide tall, talented athletes with the opportunity to play professional rugby
Ulster Rugby talent ID officer Darryl Callaghan said: "We have identified a gap in certain playing positions in our talent identification network, particularly second row. This has provided us with the opportunity to develop and implement a height-specific talent search campaign.

Criteria for applicants:

- male aged between 15 and 25
- tall for your age
- competing in any team or individual sport
- disciplined, competitive and ambitious

Talent screening:

- A talent screening event will be held on Saturday, June 25 at the University of Ulster, Jordanstown
- Successful applicants will be supplied with further details in an information pack

i know we are finding it hard to find tall people but .. well really though??? seems desperate
on the other hand could be a masterstroke for the guys who slipped through the net

I love this idea...might not have huge luck but it does give a possibility of a rags to riches story for a talented athlete...

well i know in ulster and extent to munster that a pedigree of players is taken from certain schools or clubs
and that players can slip through the net might be great for those kind off players but only up till like 21 though 25 seems to old

This seems a bit bizarre. How will a 25 year old with no background in rugby benefit the Ulster team? It may be worthwhile for Ulster to headhunt potential players from other sports though.

Rob Kearney, Niall Ronan, Tomas O'Leary, Gavin Duffy and Shane Horgan all have significant background in GAA and have forged successful rugby careers. Surely there are plenty of gaelic football players in Ulster who could be tempted to make the switch to rugby. Aussie Rules teams are scouting potential players at minor (u18) level. I think the provinces should be doing the same. Apparently Leinster did just that a couple of years ago when they reportedly offered Carlow GAA player Brendan Murphy a 2 year deal. Murphy had an AFL contract with Sydney at the time.

This seems a bit bizarre. How will a 25 year old with no background in rugby benefit the Ulster team? It may be worthwhile for Ulster to headhunt potential players from other sports though.

there is litreally no promising second rows in the ulster youth system's at the minute my brother just left belfast high school (its beside university of ulster jordanstown) where ulster rugby to a lot of work and the amount of tests and measurments they do on players to see how tall people might grow
we are desperate for secondows just dont exist in ulster at the moment

the idea off gaa players is a idea and a half though

We have too many lock here we can swap 1 or 2 for a backrower a 12 and maybe throw in another prop :)

have to say IMO this seems like a great idea, anything that might help young local players get the chance to play professional rugby, am all up for that!

Latest posts