GP Final Weekend

Discussion in 'Aviva Premiership / LV Cup' started by An Tarbh, Apr 23, 2009.

1. An Tarbh

An Tarbh Guest

So last day of league fixtures on Saturday yet plenty of permutations remaining to be sorted.

Only Leicester are guaranteed to be in the playoffs but will have a home draw regardless of their result against Bristol at the Walkers Stadium.

Quins look more vulnerable than they would have done prior to their HEC quarter final when that win away at Bath looked to have them well set for at least a playoff place and possibly topping the final league standings but with Newcastle's resurgence in form it may be a nervy day for Quins as they look for the result to guarantee them a home draw in the playoffs.

For that to happen they need to better both Bath and London Irish's results although you'd still expect all 3 sides to get the win meaning it'll come down to bonus points with Quins having the edge due to their number of wins.

For Gloucester and Sale they still have a chance of getting through to the playoffs but Sale would need a massive win home to Northampton with the sides above them all losing.

The task for Gloucester also looks a lost cause given that they're away to Wasps and their form in recent games has been woeful plus even against this current Wasps side, Adams Park is not a place you want to go looking for a bp win with a fragile mindset. Luckily for them they're guaranteed HEC rugby next season.

Finally there's the battle for 7th place and that possible last HEC spot depending on who wins the Challenge Cup. For 7th spot you'd say advantage Wasps what with them having the mentally weak Gloucester while Sale will certainly have a point to prove having had that point deducted during the week.

Wasps will have to wait though till the end of the season as even if they finish in 7th they'll need Bourgoin to win the Challenge Cup otherwise it'll be whichever side out of Northampton/Worcester/Saracens to get the final HEC spot.

So how do you see it going?

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. stormmaster1

stormmaster1 Guest

Good summary.

Tigers will be top. Thats the easy bit.

For Sale to get through they need 5 points. I can see them doing that, but they need 1 of Quins, Bath or Irish to lose and i can't see that hapening. I reckon the top 4 teams will be the same, but unsure of the order. I can see all 3 getting 4 tries leaving the positions as is. of the 3 i reckon Quins are most likely to not get the bonus, leaving a semi lineup of Tigers v Quins and Bath v Irish.

As a side note i think Tigers could slip up in the semi, our form is slowing down, few injuries/suspensions and playing the home semi away from Welford road.

4. Saints are resting a few players, or at least not risking any minor injuries picked up last weekend, which won't do Sale's chances any harm. I get the feeling we're going to go all out to try and win the Challenge Cup somehow, seeing as it's the only guaranteed route into Europe for us.

5. Hall

Hall Guest

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SaintsFan_Schweinsteiger_Webby @ Apr 24 2009, 01:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
    I hope we can at least give ourselves a chance to be up there if the other teams slip up.

6. Bullitt

Bullitt Guest

Well that's annoying - Only one away trip all year with a win for me then :(

7. Hall

Hall Guest

Are you coming to Edgeley then, Mite?

8. Bullitt

Bullitt Guest

Yep, will be in the uncovered stand. Front and centre.

9. Hall

Hall Guest

I'm going with two Saints fans who also happen to be my Mother's husband-to-be and his son.

Should be fun...

10. An Tarbh

An Tarbh Guest

not a bad start for Sarries with a try in the opening minute at the Rec, fairly woeful defence from Bath though.

11. Sir Speedy

Sir Speedy Guest

Quickest try of the season apparently.

12. An Tarbh

An Tarbh Guest

fortunate there for Bath not making the most of that penalty but Sarries knocking in following the turnover.

13. An Tarbh

An Tarbh Guest

jesus Sarries, given the pace he was going someone should have had the pace to get up to Jackson there.

14. An Tarbh

An Tarbh Guest

no major movement as of yet with all 4 sides in the top 4 maintaining their position with Bath and London Irish swapping positions so far.

15. An Tarbh

An Tarbh Guest

Borthwick well knew what he was doing there, obvious penalty that one.

16. An Tarbh

An Tarbh Guest

Quins already with a second try home to Newcastle with Easter also getting his second, looking good for a home semi final.

17. An Tarbh

An Tarbh Guest

first try for Sale as well and Myler's missed a penalty for Saints.

18. An Tarbh

An Tarbh Guest

second card for Sarries with Vyvian in the bin and not good news for Sale fans with a relatively easy penalty for Davis.

19. Sir Speedy

Sir Speedy Guest

6 - 5 to Bath after Sarries have second sin-binning...

20. An Tarbh

An Tarbh Guest

converted try for Bath, taking advantage of Sarries being down to 13.

13-5 Bath 30 mins.

21. An Tarbh

An Tarbh Guest

Quins look like they have their home semi final now having already got the bonus point.

Enjoyed this thread? Register to post your reply - click here!