• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

GPS Tracking

dasNdanger

First XV
Country Flag
United States
Club or Nation
New Zealand
While watching the Gloucester v Worcester match one of the players GPS boxes fell out of his shirt...

And I said to myself, "WTF"?

What's the purpose of the GPS? Is it to make sure the players are on the pitch and not in the pub?

das

While watching the Gloucester v Worcester match one of the players GPS boxes fell out of his shirt...

And I said to myself, "WTF"?

What's the purpose of the GPS? Is it to make sure the players are on the pitch and not in the pub?

das

It tracks how far they've run, how quickly they're running, what areas they're running in and I daresay a few other bits and bobs. Very useful for measuring metres run for the purpose of resting players for international resting agreements, seeing how quickly the game is going (SARU had one on Pienaar when he moved to Ulster) and spotting who's getting tired amongst other things.

Yep, it also allows them to see things like if a player is favouring one leg over the other, and has an accelerometer so they can see how hard the impacts they are involved in are.
They use all this info throughout the season in order to pre-empt injuries and provide better physio.

Well, that's all just freaky. Sure hope it doesn't register a surprise woody in the scrum, or anything. ;)

I see how it can be very useful. Can it also be used to bench or sack a player who doesn't run enough, tackle enough, or in some other way slacks off the play?

das

That's one of the main things they use it for.
Because they record a players stats over a long time (in training too) they know exactly when a player has dipped so can replace him instantly.

That's one of the main things they use it for.
Because they record a players stats over a long time (in training too) they know exactly when a player has dipped so can replace him instantly.

So, can knowing this cause a player to push himself when he's not 100% on the inside so that he appears to be 100% on the tracking device? In other words, could this device used, supposedly, to help prevent injury actually do just the opposite if players - afeared of being benched - push themselves too hard just to register better data?

das