• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Greatest All Blacks XV of any Era

Dizzy

First XV
Country Flag
New Zealand
Club or Nation
Hurricanes
2. Keven Mealamu[Most would pick Fitzy, but honestly, comparing the work horse of Mealamu to Fitzy, I honestly would pick Mealamu]
3. Carl Hayman[We've all dubbed the best scrummagger to come out of NZ]
4. Ian Jones[Very hard for me to pick considering how explosive the modern era of locks are. I watched a few old games where Ian Jones stole lineout ball continuously and made some good yardage]
5. Colin Meads[Regarded as one of the all time greats of NZ]
6. Michael Jones[Known as a 7 but also played alot at blindside]
7. Richie McCaw[The epitome of loose forward rugby, inches out Kronfeld by a long shot]
8. Wayne Shelford[Buck was the man, straight up]

9. Graeme Bachop[Most would be picky about this and say Marshall, but he provided perfect ball for our backs and his passing was on point every time, he did his job as a halfback very well]
10. Daniel Carter[Regarded as one of the most rounded players in the world and the greatest no.10]
11. Jonah Lomu[The man with 11 shaved into his eyebrow, no one could claim this jersey over Lomu. He was thee greatest rugby player of his time and in his prime, no one could stop him, "even Umaga felt the force of his great fend"]
12. Ma'a Nonu[He always had the strength to bust tackles but nowadays he has developed into a all rounded player. Inches out Bunce]
13. Tana Umaga[You all know he's the man, no explanation needed]
14. Doug Howlett[Isn't our top try scorer for nothing]
15. Christian Cullen[The man, the myth, the legend, he did it all]

that is one hell of the XV but are you asking about purly playing skill or complete package kind of stuff, if the latter then someone like fitzy would have to go in instead of Kev just because he was so comanding in leadership and tactics.

I remember "hating" (and i say that only in as much as you can "hate" an oposition player) Fitzy when he wore the blue and white hoops but wanting to give him a man hug when to was in the black jersey

I would also say goldie over doug (subjective i know) just because i always felt he could do anything when on form where as i never had the faith in Howlett

Dizzy,

You're dreaming if you think Mealamu has half the rugby nounce and abilities (esp as a leader of men) that Fitzy did.

Fitzy was a better scrummager, and a better line-out thrower as well (2 of the core tasks of a hooker)

About the only place you could say Mealamu is better is running off the ruck.
Fitzy was better on the wing too ;)

As much as I admire both players; Fitzy is a step ahead of Mealamu.

Once again, I'm only picking players from the professional era, as i can't compare them to when rucking was around, no lifter in lineouts, the wingers threw in line outs etc.
1. Olo Brown - Most underrated prop around. Intellegent bloke, and had a back of iron. Sean Fitzpatrick said he was the best prop he'd ever played with.
2. Sean Fitzpatrick - Kevin Mealamu I do feel is well within the same abilities, in face Mealamu is a much better athlele. Ftizy wins it though by being NZ's captain and winning 92 test caps (I'd imagine Mealamu will reach that by the end of his career though).
3. Carl Hayman - Most solid scrummager ever. Absolute beast.
4. Ian Jones - Terrible commentator, hate his whiny voice, but he was a very mobile and athletic prop. At one stage, the best line out jumper in the world.
5. Ali Williams - Hard decision. Could have gone with Chris Jack, Brad Thorn or Robin Brooke. Ali Williams though is an athletic prop with a hard edge, so just inches out the others by a tiny margin.
6. Jerry Collins - Most devistating tackler in the world. Good leadership and the best enforcer ever. Michael Jones was brillaint, but he was best at openside in my opinion, while Collins was always just a machine.
7. Richie McCaw - Most capped All Black ever, most NPC and Super rugby ***les ever, Most All Blacks caps as captain ever, won three times as many IRB Player of the year awards as anyone else, highest All Black test try scorer and second highest in the world behind Collin Charvis. Consistantly the best openside flanker in the game.
8. Zinzan Brooke - The blueprint of what any modern #8 aspires to be. Super skillful but could be a bruiser as well. Second highest number of tries for an All Black forward.
9. Justin Marshall -Highest number of test tries for a All Black halfback. Terrible commentator. In the mid to late 90's, he had amazing pace and vision. An average pass, but great at everything else.
10. Daniel Carter - Highest number of test points ever and averages the highest number of test points. Best fly half possibly ever.
11. Jonah Lomu - Absoloute machine when he was fit.
12. Tana Umaga - Best midfielder in history in my opinion. Had all the skills.
13. Conrad Smith - Mr Consistant. Never makes a mistake. He makes everyone else look good when he plays. Frank Bunce was also very good, but I think Conrad Smith is better.
14. Jeff Wilson - Joe Rokocoko is average on the right wing. Doug Howlett scored a truck load of tries, but most of them was just easy finishing. Jeff Wilson made an all star backline, work like a team. 5 less tries than Doug Howlett in pretty much the same number of tests, but he went an awful long way to making every other player score tries. Better in my mind than Howlett and Kirwan.
15. Christian Cullen - Most amazing try scorer to have ever played the game. Absolute freak.

16. Kevin Mealamu - 83 test matches so far. Great player, extremely hard worker. Anton Olliver was also very good, but Mealamu is better.
17. Tony Woodcock - Ignoring his recent form, Tony Woodcock has been one of NZ's best props. Hightest capped prop for the AB's ever. Kees Meeuws comes very clode.
18. Chris Jack - Just edging out Robin Brooke. Very athletic lock, great scrummager and line out opperator. Everything you can ask for in a lock.
19. Michael Jones - Very athletic flanker with a hard edge. Inspiring player, and a great role model.
20. Byron Kelleher - Going off the pro era, Kelleher is in my mind NZ's second best halfback. Had he kept playing in NZ after the 2007 RWC, he'd probably be NZ's first choice haflback today, as his form in France has showed, he's an absolute beast. Brilliant pass, and unrivalled power for a halfback.
21. Andrew Mehrtens - Averages the second highest number of test point per game in the world. One of the best goal kickers, and technical players to have graced the game.
22. Doug Howlett - 49 test tries. I've never been totally convinced with the hype of Howlett, but I need a player who can cover wing and fullback, and Howlett can do that better than Mils can. Special mentions to Mils Muliaina and Joe Rokocoko, either of which are just as good players.

11 Lomu
14 Vidri

Thats all I can contribute

Vidiri was then man, but it's a little hard to say he'd be the best right winger in All Black history, after 2 tests and 1 try.

Dizzy,

You're dreaming if you think Mealamu has half the rugby nounce and abilities (esp as a leader of men) that Fitzy did.

Fitzy was a better scrummager, and a better line-out thrower as well (2 of the core tasks of a hooker)

About the only place you could say Mealamu is better is running off the ruck.
Fitzy was better on the wing too ;)

As much as I admire both players; Fitzy is a step ahead of Mealamu.

I highly disagree with your first statrement. Mealamu has most if not all and more of the rugby "nounce and abilities" of which you speak of. I have the utmost respect for Fitzy and don't intend to disrespect him at all but seriously the only trait Fitzy holds above Mealamu would be his leadership.

Mealamu's scrummaging has never been flawed and nor has his ability to throw in the lineout. As we all know, it's unfair to compare the two era's because rugby has evolved since Fitzy's time. But scrumming has increased which means more work and Mealamu has never displayed any sign of failure in this department.

As for Fitzy being better on the wing, that's hardly an upper hand on Keven as he isn't supposed to be out there[out of position] and could be an indication of laziness.

Like I said I have the utmost respect for Fitzy, but Mealamu deserves credit.

Yeah I am completely new to this, and I have not completed my all blacks greatest 15 of any era, however its suffice to say that there are a range of players who inevitably are essential to be in the greatest all blacks of all time - and any era.
My greatest all blacks team of all time is as follows:
1. Olo Brown
2. Sean Fitzpatrick
3. Carl Hayman
4. Ian Jones
5. Colin Meads
6. Jerry Collins
7. Richie McCaw
8. Zinzan Brooke
10. Daniel Carter
11. Jonah Lomu
12. Walter Little
13. Tana Umaga
14. John Kirwan
15. Glen Osborne
Subs:
16. Michael Jones
18. Robin Brooke
17. Wayne 'Buck' Shelford
19. Josh Kronfeld
20. Frank Bunce
21. Christian Cullen
If anyone has any comments on my formidable team or any recommendations about players or players who can go into the positions which I have not filled in yet in the team - I am completely willing to hear them.
Many Thanks,
The Rugby Beast

Last edited:
Hard choice, a few positions that were 50/50 but got there in the end.

1. Tony Woodcock
2. Sean Fitzpatrick
3. Carl Hayman
4. Ian Jones
5. Brodie Retallick
6. Jerry Collins
7. Richie McCaw
8. Zinzan Brooke
9. Justin Marshall
10. Daniel Carter
11. Jonah Lomu
12. Tana Umaga
13. Conrad Smith
14. Jeff Wilson
15. Christian Cullen

Hard choice, a few positions that were 50/50 but got there in the end.

1. Tony Woodcock
2. Sean Fitzpatrick
3. Carl Hayman
4. Ian Jones
5. Brodie Retallick
6. Jerry Collins
7. Richie McCaw
8. Zinzan Brooke
9. Justin Marshall
10. Daniel Carter
11. Jonah Lomu
12. Tana Umaga
13. Conrad Smith
14. Jeff Wilson
15. Christian Cullen

You sir, have marvelous taste.

You sir, have marvelous taste.

lol cheers.

I actually spent 6 months with post-it notes numbered 1-15 beside my desk, working on my starting lineup.

#2,8 and 9 were the hardest, alternates were

Mealamu
Read
Kelleher

Backline for me really picked itself.

Surely "any era" ought to mean that theit test careers overlapped with each other, otherwise it's just an all time XV.

I'm not a good enough historian to do it for any nation in any era, but if you accept that any player is as good as his opponents make him look, then the most obvious shout for me would be the 1905 side. Funnily enough I can't name anyone from sides around then who would have improved the team!

If you're naming a best side if you put them on the park today in their prime, names like Meads and Shelford being in there are laughable (much as I love them both and would have them both in an all time XV).

I expect Aaron Smith to take the #9 spot after winning the RWC.

1.Tony Woodcock
2.Sean Fitzpatrick
3.Carl Hayman
4.Ian jones
5.Ali Williams
6.Buck Shelford
7.Michael Jones
8. Ritchie McCaw
9.Justin Marshall
10.Dan Carter
11.Jonah Lomu
12.Tana Umaga
13.Frank Bunce
14.Jeff Wilson
15.Christian Cullen

16.Doug Howlett
17.Walter Little
18.Grant Fox
19.Aaron Smith
20.Zinzan Brooke
21.Colin Meads
22.Kevin Mealamu
23.Olo Brown

Last edited:
would Aaron smith not take the 9 jersey now?

Not sure, his performance for the highlanders this year in super 15 was unreal - however I haven't seen him perform so well on international level as of yet, so I would maybe still plump for Marshall at scrumhalf.

Also, I am making a definite change at fullback - in that I am replacing Christian Cullen, with an extremely underrated, invaluable player - in Glen Osborne.
Many Thanks

Not sure, his performance for the highlanders this year in super 15 was unreal - however I haven't seen him perform so well on international level as of yet, so I would maybe still plump for Marshall at scrumhalf.

Also, I am making a definite change at fullback - in that I am replacing Christian Cullen, with an extremely underrated, invaluable player - in Glen Osborne.
Many Thanks

His performances have been great for the AB's the past 3 years. He's a big reason why this side is so formidable. Not sure why you haven't seen him "perform so well" at International level yet. I take it you haven't watched many All Blacks games.

I would put him at our best #9 ever already , he has so much more to his game than Justin Marshall or any half back for that matter. How ever, I think it's important he has a strong RWC to reinforce these claims and cement that spot.

He has the potential to be the greatest halfback ever. Even better than Gareth Edwards and George Gregan.

Last edited:
would Aaron smith not take the 9 jersey now?

No way. Justin Marshall all day every day imo.

And heres why Aaron Smith has played well for two and a bit years.

Justin Marshall played well for his entire AB career (against way better players than A Smith has ever come across) and managed to keep Kelleher out of his jersey which imo was quite remarkable because I still rate Byron above A Smith only just though...

Im only doing professional era.

1. Olo Brown
2. Fitzpatrick
3. Hayman
4. Ian Jones
5. Brad Thorn
6. Jerry Collins
7. Richie Mccaw
8. Zinzan Brooke
9. Justin Marshall,
10. Dan Carter
11. Glenn Osbourne (his Ego is bigger than Lomu/everbodys and a very unlucky man that Jonah was on the scene at the same time...)
12. Nonu
13. Bunce (only because he was epic against the boks)
14. Jeff Wilson
15. Ben Smith

Last edited:
Pro Era to. It's too hard to go history, I wasn't alive and I'm not that educated on it. Names like Buck Shelford and Meads deserve to be in there obviously.

1.C.Dowd
2.S.Fitzpatrick
3.C.Hayman
4.I.Jones
5.B.Retallick
6.M.Jones
7.R.McCaw
8.K.Reid
9.J.Marshall
10.D.Carter
11.J.Lomu
12.C.Smith