• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Greatest Sporting moment of the year?

E

ecks tartan army

Not much in the way of Rugby for us scots to celebrate this year (although beating biarritz on sunday was pretty special) so im afraid i have to go with the rounded ball - more specifically (and im sure predictably) Faddies wonder strike against France, and epc. the moment after it went in when the singing stopped, people did a double check on what just happened, and bedlam!!!!

Whats your favourite sporting moment of the year?

Jean Baptiste Ellisalde running across pitch and booting the ball into touch against New Zealand in the quarter finals in Cardiff. The crowd were superb, the commentary were superb, France were superb! It was just epic!

Jean Baptiste Ellisalde running across pitch and booting the ball into touch against New Zealand in the quarter finals in Cardiff. The crowd were superb, the commentary were superb, France were superb! It was just epic!
[/b]

********, France were filthy and ugly all game, but enough of that. I'd say Argentina beating France in game one was the best moment this year, loved it.

Well, I'd have to say that the moment would be the Wales v Fiji match, which Fiji won in such spectacular fashion! This signaled the true arrival of the minnows. This match and of course SA v Fiji and SA v Tonga!

Kimi Raikkonen finally winning his first world championship, coming back fro 17 pts down with two races to go to win in Brazil. Fantastico :bana:

For me it's gotta be Joe Calzaghe beating Kessler. One of, if not Britains best ever boxer finally getting recorgnition for his acheivements.

You don't get a world champion for 10 years in many sports, becoming undisputed was awesome. Hopkins next?

For me? Portugal going absolutely nuts after slotting the ball between the posts against the All Blacks and the post match feelgood party between the two teams.

[/b]
If I were on the pitch I would've mowed him down anyway, with the ball or not

Seeing Jake White and John Smit hold up the Webb Ellis Cup together. That moment skipped the short term memory section and dived straight into the long term memory

********, France were filthy and ugly all game, but enough of that. I'd say Argentina beating France in game one was the best moment this year, loved it.
[/b]
It's my opinion, actually. I think that the fact France had only 20ish% possession and still won the game with superior tactics made them them deserving winners. Upset of the year? That goes to this game.

Seeing Jake White and John Smit hold up the Webb Ellis Cup together. That moment skipped the short term memory section and dived straight into the long term memory
[/b]

Absoloutely, its easy for those of us that arent from South Africa to underestimate the importance of what they achieved at the world cup. As rugby is South Africa's national game its vital they are successful, 4 years ago they were the laughing stock of the rugby world which led to the team and Straeuli being crucified by the media. The rebuilding job could have taken 10 years, instead it only took 1. The world cup was just the icing on the cake from one of the most remarkable upturns in fortune in rugby history.

Its easy to say that All Blacks dominated pre world cup but South Africa deservedly won the tri nations in 2004 and only Mealamu late try in the deciding match in 05 denied them another ***le. On balance it was a completely deserved ***le for the Boks, especially for Jake White for completing four years at the helm of the toughest job in world rugby.

Ill go with Argentina making 3rd

but I also want to add

Argentina beating the french twice =P
:D

Argentina beating the French team....TWICE Priceless
To be fair being Kiwi it was heart breaking watch us lose under circumstances that could have been prevented. REF! but i understand we cant just blame him.
But good on SA for winning it but i think All Blacks will do it at home at Eden Park when im 20 and i hope to be there. I just dont think any team could do it at home if you go to an all blacks game here its daunting.
Only team i can see doing it otherwise
Is a Robbie Deans led Australia he knows how to win here ...makes me worried

For me Tigers hammering Glos for the premiership was great.

The nearly best moments were the many charges at the irish line by the georgian pack. could so easily have been the biggest upset in world rugby.

The Storm winning the NRL Premiership, made even sweeter after last year's loss in the Grand Final.

got to be a few key moments in the world cup:
1. Obviously England reaching the final, beating all expectations in my book.
2. The French beating the All Blacks in the quarters.
3. Argentina, throughout the tournament. Especially the half back combination of Hernandez and Pichot.
4. Fiji beating Wales.
5 (and most importantly) a lot of nations illustrating that they need more internationals. i.e. Argentina with their whole campaign, Fiji, Tonga pushing S.A. pretty close in the quarters.

Outside of rugby, guess it would be Hamiltons monumental first season. Going to ignore any talk on football!

got to be a few key moments in the world cup:
1. Obviously England reaching the final, beating all expectations in my book.
2. The French beating the All Blacks in the quarters.
3. Argentina, throughout the tournament. Especially the half back combination of Hernandez and Pichot.
4. Fiji beating Wales.
5 (and most importantly) a lot of nations illustrating that they need more internationals. i.e. Argentina with their whole campaign, Fiji, Tonga pushing S.A. pretty close in the quarters.

Outside of rugby, guess it would be Hamiltons monumental first season. Going to ignore any talk on football!
[/b]
Tonga weren't in the quarters. But damn those islanders gave me nightmares

South Africa whipping the English in the pool game and of course there was a lot of moments in and after the final!

Latest posts