TRF_Cymro

Cymro The White
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Wales
Club or Nation
Barbarians
_50918538_011096073-1.jpg

Green Bay hung on to beat Chicago and Pittsburgh overcame the New York Jets to set up a meeting in Super Bowl XLV in Texas on 6 February.

The Packers defence backed up a strong start by quarterback Aaron Rodgers in a 21-14 win in wintry Chicago.

Pittsburgh took a 24-0 lead and secured a third Super Bowl place in six years despite a late Jets fightback.

QB Mark Sanchez threw two touchdowns and Ben Roethlisberger conceded a safety as the Jets hit 19 late points.

The Jets' rally in the final 31 minutes was in contrast to most of the first half as they managed just a single rushing yard, compared to 135 for the hosts, for whom Rashard Mendenhall ran in the opening score.

Pittsburgh went on to score two touchdowns in the space of 47 seconds to take a 24-0 lead, after Roethlisberger ran in then William Gay returned a Sanchez fumble.

But New York - who have not been to a Super Bowl for 41 years - came back with a field goal before half-time then two impressive second-half drives that quietened the initially rowdy Heinz Field crowd.

Receiver Santonio Holmes scored against the side with whom he won the NFL ***le two years ago.

Jerricho Cotchery also snagged a catch from Sanchez, at the end of a drive set up when Roethlisberger fumbled in his own endzone to concede a two-point safety, with the Steelers then forced to kick the ball back.

Earlier on Sunday, Chicago had staged a recovery of their own after going 14-0 down, in their 182nd match-up with Green Bay in a rivalry that goes back to 1921.

Third-choice Bears quarterback Caleb Hanie replaced injured Jay Cutler, throwing for two touchdowns, but was intercepted on the brink of a game-tying score.

Rookie cornerback Sam Shields made his second interception of the game with 43 seconds remaining and Chicago threatening from 29 yards out.

Rodgers, who threw for 244 yards, described reaching his first Super Bowl as "a dream come true".

He added: "You've got to give credit to our defence. I didn't play my best game.

"They had a good plan for us. They stopped us but we just had enough points."

No National Football Conference sixth seed has ever made the Super Bowl before. The Packers have knocked off the first and second seeds in the NFC but must overcome an impressive Steelers side if they are to secure their 13th NFL ***le.

Rodgers was the star as Green Bay upset NFC top seeds Atlanta last week and he came out firing in wintry Chicago, completing four passes for 74 yards then running for the score in the opening drive.

Rookie running back James Starks, who was born in February 1986 - four weeks after the Bears last won an NFL ***le - ran in for the second touchdown, four minutes into the second quarter.

The Bears defence kept them in the game, twice intercepting Rodgers, who had thrown 119 post-season passes prior to this without being picked off.

With Cutler nursing a knee injury and replacement Todd Collins ineffective, Chicago went to Hanie in desperation.

The second-year player from Dallas led a 67-yard drive, setting up a Chester Taylor plunge to reinvigorate the Soldier Field crowd.

Later, he completed four successive passed in an 81-second drive that went the length of the field with Earl Bennett's catch-and-run touchdown to make it 21-14 with four minutes 43 seconds remaining.

But in between he fired an interception to Green Bay's BJ Raji - a monster 24 stone (153kg) nose tackle nicknamed "The Freezer" in a reference to Bears legend William "Refrigerator" Perry - who lumbered 18 yards to score with his first career pick and give Green Bay sufficient space.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_sports/american_football/9371285.stm

Well both cracking games as you said, felt the Jets almost had it, if they would have stopped the last pass that sealed the game for the Steelers, could have seen Sanchez leading the Jets back downfield for the game.

Im backing the Packers for the Super Bowl!

I blame Rex Ryan and Shotty for the loss. Third and goal with LT on the field and you try to pass it.
Im the most unhappy person in the world right now...

Highlight of Weekend - When big BJ intercepts for a touchdown then does the Big Sexy dance ha

I rekon Green Bay will win it, hope so too. Not really sure why though

I'm hoping for a Green Bay win too, they're both great teams but Pittsburgh have had a much better record over the last four/five years, Green Bay are due for a win I think.

And I still can't believe they didn't televise the Green Bay vs Chicago game here in NZ, only the Pittsburgh vs NY one. Very unusual. We normally get to see both championship games, even if they're not both on ESPN.

It's weird how they call it a touchdown when they hardly ever touch the ball down ;)

That such a fat guy can play in the superbowl represents everything I dislike about the sport...Oh, and also the ridiculous hand warming thing for the QB...Jesus...And don't get me started on the oxugen masks on the side line...

Anyway, I'll get my coat...

That such a fat guy can play in the superbowl represents everything I dislike about the sport...Oh, and also the ridiculous hand warming thing for the QB...Jesus...And don't get me started on the oxugen masks on the side line...

Anyway, I'll get my coat...

Well the fat guys are like the props lol!

Hand warming thing?
I've seen them have towels clipped to their shorts, but no hand warmer things (i think)?

Hand warming thing?
I've seen them have towels clipped to their shorts, but no hand warmer things (i think)?

QB's have a fanny pack hand warmer for when its a cold days, sometimes Wide Receivers also bare them. Think Charles means gloves the players wear.

QB's have a fanny pack hand warmer for when its a cold days, sometimes Wide Receivers also bare them. Think Charles means gloves the players wear.

No I don't mean gloves, thank you. I mean the stupid fanny pack. And abou the fat lineman, I don't think you would find a prop playing at international level with such a hanging belly, except Fat Dunning maybe...

I'm going for the public enemy, number one most celebrated NFL rapist to take the Steelers to yet another victory.
I like the teams that people dont like.

I have no feelings either way, but that guy on the Packers looks a bit like Thor, so that's pretty badass
They're 2x TDs up at the end of the first quarter

Packers looking good, but dont count out the Steelers!

Wow ... Big Ben throws another Interception pass ...

21 -3 Green Bay with 2:24 left in the 2nd Q

21-10 ... Big Ben TD for Steelers ... here we go

21-10 HT ... bring on the Black Eyed Peas :)

PACKERS WWWWWWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Last edited:

Latest posts