• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Greetings from Pomerania

nadodrzak

Academy Player
Club or Nation
Ospreys
Hi all, I'm from Pomerania, (north-western region of Poland). Poland is a country where rugby is not very popular as a national sport - which does not change the fact that I am a big fan of rugby. In my region there are some rugby teams, but they are mostly very amateurish and did not even take part in the Polish league games.

I am a big fan of Ospreys and Wales national team (Shane Williams is/was the greatest player for me). But in fact, every rugby match for me can be an interesting spectacle, because the most important is beauty and strength of this game.

Cheers :)

Welcome to the forum!

I'm curious how you got into rugby in the first place- is there much opportunity to watch/play rugby in Poland?

In this whole situation where rugby is not especially popular in Poland (League clubs are only in very large cities), it is in Pomerania there are several clubs that are at a higher level than average. Especially in the Middle Pomerania, teams like Arka Gdynia, Lechia Gdańsk (they are quite good). In my town there are two small associations of rugby, and a slightly larger team - Kaskada Szczecin, but this team plays only in the regional league. Slowly, rugby7 becomes more popular. Maybe this will help to popularize rugby union. Unfortunately, the most important sport is still corrupt football.

I play recreationally, with a few friends, nothing serious, just for fun. In addition, I play Rugby08 still, it is still great fun :)

I watch rugby with passion for over 10 years. At the beginning with a friend from South Africa, supporter the Springboks. Then of course came the fascination with the All Blacks. But most kindred spirit I found with Wales.

Important events (such as the Heineken Cup, WRC) can be seen in pubs, polish sports TV channels, the internet, so there is a lot of sources.

In this whole situation where rugby is not especially popular in Poland (League clubs are only in very large cities), it is in Pomerania there are several clubs that are at a higher level than average. Especially in the Middle Pomerania, teams like Arka Gdynia, Lechia Gdańsk (they are quite good). In my town there are two small associations of rugby, and a slightly larger team - Kaskada Szczecin, but this team plays only in the regional league. Slowly, rugby7 becomes more popular. Maybe this will help to popularize rugby union. Unfortunately, the most important sport is still corrupt football.

I play recreationally, with a few friends, nothing serious, just for fun. In addition, I play Rugby08 still, it is still great fun :)

I watch rugby with passion for over 10 years. At the beginning with a friend from South Africa, supporter the Springboks. Then of course came the fascination with the All Blacks. But most kindred spirit I found with Wales.

Important events (such as the Heineken Cup, WRC) can be seen in pubs, polish sports TV channels, the internet, so there is a lot of sources.

Nice to hear a perspective from someone from the less traditional rugby countries! :)
(Also, compliments on your English, very impressive for a non-native speaker)

Thank you for your warm welcome mates.

Yesterday one Welsh fan from Pomerania almost lost his voice during the match :) Last 10 minutes thriller almost gives me heart attack - but it was totally great game - Awesome try by Williams.

Now I'm thinking about site, or maybe just facebook fanpage about rugby to popularize it little more in my country. What you think? Any advices?

I just checked, Poland is on the 29th place in IRB World Ranking. It's not so bad I think (in FIFA ranking we are on the 70th place...
comparing the popularity of these two sports, I can not draw the logical conclusions of these two facts...). We are one of the best non-rugby country in the world :)

Latest posts