Greg Inglis says he would consider switching codes when he comes off contract

Jaguares

International
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Argentina
Club or Nation
Argentina
NRL superstar Greg Inglis says he seriously considered a rich offer from French rugby union this year and remains open to a code switch.

In the wake of Jarryd Hayne's shock decision to leave the NRL to pursue a career in the NFL, Inglis confirmed he was offered $2 million a year to play the 15-man game from a cashed-up club in France. "I'm not going to lie. There's been a few offers over the years but that was the one that I was umming and ahhing about,'' Inglis said. "I went and told the club that this was a potential move but I'm not going to pursue it this time because I'll be concentrating on the ultimate goal of winning a premiership with Souths.

"You always imagine yourself playing another sport. It's just picking the right time to go.
"There's always doors to be pushed open to see what's on the other side.
"I'm doing what I love – playing league.
"I'd love to finish my career in rugby league but who knows?''

Israel Folau, Karmichael Hunt, Sam Burgess and Hayne have all taken the leap of faith away from the NRL. Inglis is arguably the best all-round athlete of them all but has rejected overtures from rugby and the AFL.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/gre...mes-off-contract/story-e6frf3ou-1227094328880

Last edited by a moderator:
Might actually be a good influence in the changing sheds, at least.

League players must get paid peanuts. Burgess has the perfect lifestyle in Aus, star name etc etc...yet he's coming back to rainy England to pay a code he's never played (albeit with the added incentive of a Rugby World Cup to play in). This Inglis fella seems to have a similar perfect status in Aus. Money talks.

Having said that i take it League players get paid more than Union players in Australia? Would seem logical given the status of the two codes there.

League players get paid pretty well considering there's a salary cap in place. With endorsements Inglis would be on around $1million a year, and Hayne was on about the same ($800k club, plus some big third party cash).

For mine Inglis is too old for the switch, and as awesome as he still is, Hayne has been better than him for the past couple years in terms of all round play (Inglis is still a more powerful runner though). If Inglis were to switch to Union, he'd just be doing it to top up his retirement fund with some games that'd be kind to his body, so I'd bet he'd go to Japan.

That said, the NRL have introduced a legacy allowance for guys who've been at clubs long term. Inglis loves South Sydney and the strong connections the club has to the indigenous community, so I can't see him leaving if he qualifies for that and gets the extra quarter million its worth.

I don't see why the NRL doesn't introduce a marquee rule. The salary cap already keeps the competition so even that I don't think having one marquee per team would be that distorting.

$1 million Aussie dollars is just over £540,000...and cost of living in Aus is higher than UK (beers in Aus are extortionate).

For what is the biggest name in the sport that is a paltry sum (in sports terms obviously). It's a short career so while his lifestyle and status wouldn't be as good as it is now, I can understand why a move to France, purely for monetary reasons, is appealing.

The incentive for Burgess to move to Union is different in that he will be a bigger name in his homeland for the move, and will get to play in a competitive team in the World Cup with a great chance of winning it.

$1 million Aussie dollars is just over £540,000...and cost of living in Aus is higher than UK (beers in Aus are extortionate).

For what is the biggest name in the sport that is a paltry sum (in sports terms obviously). It's a short career so while his lifestyle and status wouldn't be as good as it is now, I can understand why a move to France, purely for monetary reasons, is appealing.

The incentive for Burgess to move to Union is different in that he will be a bigger name in his homeland for the move, and will get to play in a competitive team in the World Cup with a great chance of winning it.

Bear in mind highest paid guy in french rugby is paid good bit less than 1 million euro (£800) what about a tax......?

[TABLE="class: mytable2"]
<tbody>[TR="class: d"]
[TD="bgcolor: #5CB3FF"]Tax Band
[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: #5CB3FF"]Rate[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: c"]
[TD="bgcolor: #F5F5F5"]Up to â'¬9,690[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: #F5F5F5"]0 %[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="bgcolor: #F5F5F5"]â'¬9,691 to â'¬26,764[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: #F5F5F5"]14 %[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="bgcolor: #F5F5F5"]â'¬27,765 to â'¬71,754[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: #F5F5F5"]30 %[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="bgcolor: #F5F5F5"]â'¬71,755 to â'¬151,956[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: #F5F5F5"]41 %[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="bgcolor: #F5F5F5"]From â'¬151,956[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: #F5F5F5"]45 %[/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]

Plus social security payments, wealth tax and house taxes.............and bear in mind that this is on world wide income and if a French resident has connection with offshore company or trust they have had to declare it since November 2013 or face potential 5 years in prison!!!

I was recently charged 4 euro for half pint of beer in a non descript hotel in France............

Bear in mind highest paid guy in french rugby is paid good bit less than 1 million euro (£800)

Really? So why are Aussie media reporting $2 million (circa £1.1 million) for Inglis? BS?

Does seem odd to make a league player the highest paid in Union. Perhaps it is BS (work of his agent) and he's looking for a better contract.

Really? So why are Aussie media reporting $2 million (circa £1.1 million) for Inglis? BS?

I think the answer to that question is the inclusion of the source of your information.............Aussie media!!!

League players must get paid peanuts. Burgess has the perfect lifestyle in Aus, star name etc etc...yet he's coming back to rainy England to pay a code he's never played (albeit with the added incentive of a Rugby World Cup to play in). This Inglis fella seems to have a similar perfect status in Aus. Money talks.

Having said that i take it League players get paid more than Union players in Australia? Would seem logical given the status of the two codes there.
What do you know of what Sam/Inglis's lifestyle is like in Australia? Money may have been the reason, but I don't know that and neither do you.

Burgess has hit a ceiling in league. He's played for the top clubs in the world, won an NRL trophy, is not likely to win the WC. Union represents a challenge. It represents several actually. He'll play as part of the Premiership, European cups, Six Nations, test tours, World Cups and even potentially the Lions. So many achievements for him to make, when he's just about gone as far as he can in league. To write him off as money-greedy is simply cynical.

As for Inglis, he already turned down the money. Obviously it isn't money that means everything to him.

Last edited:
Never insinuated he was "money greedy"

I know what Sam says in that fabulous Aussie TV special on him where he is lovin life in Aus...and had to get away from England.

He's got a fantastic life on and off the field...and his sport is the biggest in town. Takes a dip in the warm sea on the morning of games, then a big breakfast in an outside cafe.

To go from all that....to...Bath, playing Union in front of four figures. Yes he will get more money but hes clearly a driven fella and is doing it for the right reasons. After the Workd Cup though I will be amazed if he doesnt head back to league and Aus very soon.

Last edited:

Really, is the beer necessary?

It's just one example of the high costs.....hate beer tbh. Peach schnapps ftw.

Sam loves spaghetti Bol...who doesn't?

I meant alcoholic beverages in general? Despite bringing no direct benefit, people still consume it.

I gathered you felt that. You Muslim?

Beer does indeed have zero benefits in that it tastes like ***** and you can get hammered in the process.

Latest posts