Should Scotland sack Townsend?

• Yes

Votes: 4 13.8%
  • No, its far to early

Votes: 25 86.2%

• Total voters

Highland Shaun

Academy Player
I have seen some Scotland fans on Facebook calling for Gregor Townsend to be sacked so, what do you guys think?

Personally, I totally disagree with these people because we have a bad habit of only giving coaches 2 yrs, especially since Ian McGeeghan left. I think Gregor has done a very good job, continuing on from the work Vern Cotter started. Plus, who else would be available or would do a better job, with the resources available.

I say, give Gregor until after the world cup at least and if we don't get out of the group then, yes, review his position.

Feel free to post your opinions here. It will be interesting to see what fans of Ireland, Wales, England, France and Italy think.

Absolute madness. Townsend's revolutionised the Scottish attack. With the current injury crisis they're going through, losses to Ireland and a French team that really isn't as bad as the England game made them look were to be expected IMO.

No chance,
It's not his fault Scotland are missing about 30players through injury

I wouldn't be relying on Facebook for fair and balanced opinions.

Townsend is absolutely worth sticking with.

Utter madness. He's a very intelligent and tactically astute coach. Knee jerk cretins need to realise that the results are more down to missing multiple key players in a freak injury crisis rather than GT's coaching ability. Scotland finished 3rd last year in his first 6N FFS. Not only that but he's an absolute class act in the media - no sour grapes or *****ing or whining about referees.

No chance. Scotland have been decimated with injuries and he can only play with who is available.

I think this is an easy question to answer given the lack of an obviously better candidate. A harder question is:

"Would Scotland be better if they had kept Cotter?"

OR

"With hindsight, was it the right decision to replace Cotter with Townsend?"

I'd say yes to both my questions, but I am wavering. There doesn't seem to be a lot of mental fortitude in the side (other than Laidlaw), November was pretty mixed (without many injuries) and some of his selection decisions are getting questionable.

If he cant get Scotland out of the group it may be a legitimate question, but again, only if a great candidate starts sticking their hand up.

I think this is an easy question to answer given the lack of an obviously better candidate. A harder question is:

OR

I'd say yes to both my questions, but I am wavering. There doesn't seem to be a lot of mental fortitude in the side (other than Laidlaw), November was pretty mixed (without many injuries) and some of his selection decisions are getting questionable.

If he cant get Scotland out of the group it may be a legitimate question, but again, only if a great candidate starts sticking their hand up.

Great point... i think Cotter was working on developing a tougher underside to Scotland where Townsend seems to have prioritised quick and expansive play. While they can be beautiful to watch I do think a Scotland team under Cotter would be on at least two wins at this point in the competition.

This is what I posted on Facebook by the way.

The only 3 I'd consider replacing Gregor IF he were to leave would be Jake White, Ben Ryan or Mark McCall, both of who are unlikely to get the job so we'd be as well sticking with Gregor until end of the year at least, preferably until end of next years 6N.

Absolute madness. Townsend's revolutionised the Scottish attack. With the current injury crisis they're going through, losses to Ireland and a French team that really isn't as bad as the England game made them look were to be expected IMO.

Fun to remember how dire our attacking game was when he was attacking coach under Robinson.

This is what I posted on Facebook by the way.

The only 3 I'd consider replacing Gregor IF he were to leave would be Jake White, Ben Ryan or Mark McCall, both of who are unlikely to get the job so we'd be as well sticking with Gregor until end of the year at least, preferably until end of next years 6N.

I'd be curious to know what difference Gatland would make to Scotland. I can't help but think he'd make them tougher and more battle hardened , just like Cockers has done with Edinburgh.

OR

It's a great question. I think GT was on the verge of joining an English Premiership side and so Dodson's hand was forced due to the risk of potentially losing him from Scottish rugby for a few years. What it made it seem all the more strange was that Cotter went on to have an excellent 6N campaign after the announcement was made. I really wish we could have kept both but this what happens in a nation with only two pro teams. Townsend did an incredible job at Glasgow taking them from despair to Pro12 Champions and playing an exciting brand of rugby.

Last edited:
Great point... i think Cotter was working on developing a tougher underside to Scotland where Townsend seems to have prioritised quick and expansive play. While they can be beautiful to watch I do think a Scotland team under Cotter would be on at least two wins at this point in the competition.

I'm not so sure any coach would have done much better with so many key players missing TBH. Sometimes the grass can be a bit greener. Cotter managed to beat Ireland and Wales at home two years ago but that was with an almost fully fit squad to choose from. I recall the wins against Ireland and Wales being to a large part down to a breakdown masterclass from the likes of Watson and Barclay as well as moments of magic from Hogg. These players are crucial.

With Laidlaw in the side, I don't think Townsend is playing the brand of rugby he probably wants to. I am hopeful that we will see a different Scotland when they take to the field against Ireland in the WC, assuming the injured key players are back.

Last edited:
Like any coach he has made a few mistakes in selection and tactics in a few games but it's not his fault if the players just aren't good enough. Scotland had Russell, Jones and Hogg out last week, and while the replacements were decent players they just aren't on the same level of the ones they are replacing. I think it was a mistake replacing Cotter when they did but it also would be a mistake to replace Townsend this early.

Should have kept Cotter and took Townsend in as backs coach.

It's one these questions that we'll never know the answer to. It's easy to look back in hindsight and think the grass was greener but Cotter did benefit greatly from the excellent work done by Townsend at Glasgow. Edinburgh were a mess at the time and it was the in form Glasgow players that were making up most of Cotter's team.

Last edited:
Should have kept Cotter and took Townsend in as backs coach.

I dont think that will have been an option with Townsend's ambitions. Townsend probably said "give me the Scotland job or I'll go to France". But obviously I'm speculating because the only other explanation I can think of is that Cotter fell out with SRU management over bunny-gate or a personality clash.

I think Cotter would have done better in June, November and this 6N, but who knows? On the flip side I do think providing a pathway for home grown players and coaches in its territory is probably the single most important thing any union can do., and Townsend had arguably started to outgrow Glasgow. I'll criticise the SRU for many things, but not this, even if Scotland go down the toilet.

It's hardly Townsend's fault when almost every half-decent player in the country is injured. McInally is the one left. (Well I suppose Gray but he's well of his best).

Imho, next week could be his last in charge of Scotland because we have been abysmal, even for patches against Italy.

We are going backwards at an alarming rate and its getting beyond a joke how pish our defence are!

Latest posts