Grove confirms loan deal

Teh Mite

TRF Legend
TRF Legend
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Northampton
Worcester Warriors are delighted to announce that 22 year old Scottish centre Alex Grove has agreed an extension to his contract that will keep him at the club until at least 2012.
As part of his new contract, Grove joins Edinburgh Rugby with immediate effect as part of a loan agreement that has been designed to give the player the very best chance of being selected for the Scotland World Cup Squad in 2011. As such, he is therefore registered and cleared to play for Scotland this evening in their fixture against Japan.
Worcester Warriors and Edinburgh Rugby, supported by SRU, have agreed that Grove will play his club rugby north of the border until the end of January 2011.
Charlie Little, General Manager of Worcester Warriors explained, "Alex is a very important part of the Warriors squad. He is young, ambitious and a local talent who is very professional in the way he trains and prepares for matches and it was important to give him the chance to realise his international aspirations."
"It became evident that for Alex to have the best chance of playing in the World Cup for Scotland, then he needed to be playing at the highest club level and this is something that we cannot offer him at the moment. We have therefore agreed on a solution that keeps everyone happy. Alex is very committed to the Warriors and will be with us for the Championship play-offs. However, to be in selection for the Autumn Internationals and then the Six Nations, Alex needs to be playing elsewhere and I am delighted that he is to play for Edinburgh Rugby. After the Six Nations, the matches in the Championship became far more competitive and Alex will hopefully be in with a shout of making the Scotland Squad for the World Cup. My Chairman, Cecil Duckworth, has spoken to Andy Robinson, Scotland's Head Coach, and he is happy with this arrangement.
When news of a loan deal started to circulate Alex told the Club: "My previous contract expired in 2011 and following relegation I believed that I had to give very serious consideration to my international aspirations. I have never wanted to leave Worcester and having had Championship experience, I was determined to do what I could to ensure that the Warriors bounced back immediately. However, it has been made very clear to me that my international prospects would evaporate if I play in the Championship.
"With the World Cup only 12 months away, I feel that I have to allow myself every chance of selection to the Scotland squad.
"The club has offered me huge support and in particular Cecil Duckworth, who proposed the compromise to the SRU that Worcester would agree to a loan arrangement for part of next season in order for me to keep playing in front of the selectors. I am therefore delighted to be able to extend my current contract with Worcester beyond the end of 2011 for another season.
"The timing of the World Cup is very awkward in that were it 12 months later for example, I would not consider moving elsewhere under any arrangement.
"This agreement will prolong my association with the Warriors for at least a further season and I look forward to coming back to Sixways at challenging for a position in the team that takes the Warriors back into the Premiership."
Mean while Worcester Warriors can also confirm that Netani Talei will be joining Edinburgh Rugby next season on a permanent contract.
The Fijian international has been an integral part of the Warriors squad over the past three seasons and Worcester Warriors would like to wish him all the best at his new club.
http://www.guinnesspremiership.com/news/13765.php

Latest posts