• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Guiness Premiership News

13-32 to Saints, 5 tries and everything. Newcastle commentators are a bit shite and biased. Hawhawhaw.

Saints: Tries - Cohen, Spencer, Barnard, Clarke, Fox; Cons - Reihana (2); Pens - Reihana (1)

Falcons: Tries - Finegan, Elliott; Pens - Walder (1)

Leeds lost last night, to Saracens, 13-17. It is now going to be a gigantic ask for them to stay up, with the 3 above them only realisticly needing a win, while 6 points will confirm it. The winner of Bris vs Newcastle will help to confirm one of the team's safety, while Bath travel to Saints, knowing a win can help make sure of safety.

However, it will take Leeds 2 wins, and a few bonus points at the least to really have a chance, and Irish away, and Gloucester at home may be too much.

Thought this thread could do with a little reviving with two rounds left.

Guiness Premiership Round 21

Friday, 28 April 2006
Sale v Bath, 20:00
Saracens v Leicester, 19:45

Saturday, 29 April 2006
Worcester v Newcastle, 14:00

Sunday, 30 April 2006
Bristol v Northampton, 15:00
Leeds v Gloucester, 14:30
Wasps v London Irish, 18:00

Current Table
1 Sale 64
2 Leicester 59
3 Wasps 58
4 London Irish 56
5 Gloucester 52
6 Northampton 47
7 Saracens 45
8 Bath 41
9 Newcastle 41
10 Bristol 40
11 Worcester 40
12 Leeds 28

Tonight's Teams:
Saracens: Castaignede; Scarbrough, Johnston, Sorrell, Vaikona; Jackson, Bracken; Yates, Byrne, Visagie; Raiwalui, Ryder; Chesney, B T Russell, Vyvyan (capt).
Replacements: Cairns, Lloyd, Broster, Seymour, Rauluni, Harris, Haughton.

Leicester: Murphy; Tuilagi, Smith, Gibson, Varndell; Goode, Ellis; Morris, Chuter, White; Cullen, Kay; Deacon, Moody, Corry (capt).
Replacements: Buckland, Holford, Hamilton, Jennings, Healey, Lloyd, Vesty.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sale: Robinson; Cueto, Taylor, Seveali'i, Ripol; Hodgson, Martens; Coutts, ***terrell, Turner; Jones, Schofield; White, Lund, Chabal.
Replacements (from): Stewart, Briggs, Faure, Roberts, Fernandez Lobbe, Day, Hills, Foden, Larrechea, Courrent, Mayor, Hanley.

Bath: Maddock; Adendanon, Crockett, Barkley, Bory; Malone, Williams; Flatman, Dixon, Bell; Hudson, Short; Faamatuainu, Delve, Feaunati (capt).
Replacements: Hawkins, Loader, Goodman, Fidler, Walshe, Davis, Stephenson.

Dam, what a poor Bath team. I am hoping to go tonight. Although with that team we will roll you over. Why no Grewcock, Borthwick, Lipman, Beattie or Mears.

Oh well I hope for a good final Home game win!

BM

I don't understand why there are so many first choice forwards out - Bath have no real priorites now, and need 2 wins to have any real chance of Europe.

Saints team to face Bristol on Sunday:

15 BRUCE REIHANA (capt)
14 SEAN LAMONT
13 Jon Clarke
12 DAVID QUINLAN
11 BEN COHEN
10 CARLOS SPENCER
9 MARK ROBINSON
1 TOM SMITH
2 Dan Richmond
3 Pat Barnard
4 Damien Browne
5 Matt Lord
6 PAUL TUPAI
7 SAM HARDING
8 Daniel Browne

16 STEVE THOMPSON
17 Chris Budgen
18 DAVID GERARD
19 Darren Fox
20 Johnny Howard
21 Robbie Kydd
22 John Rudd

Strong team, looks like the coaches are looking to give Thompson a kick up the arse. Hopefully 5 points on their way back to the Gardens. :cheers:

Aparently he took a knock to the head a few weeks ago so their resting him. Which is hilarious, as a knock to the head doesn't make a fat hooker suddenly think their a world class winger and become scared of going into contact overnight.

Anyone care to re-educate me after Moody's disallowed try because of double movement? I though you are allowed to place the ball.

Originally posted by Black-Monday@Apr 29 2006, 04:21 AM
Dam, what a poor Bath team. I am hoping to go tonight. Although with that team we will roll you over. Why no Grewcock, Borthwick, Lipman, Beattie or Mears.

Oh well I hope for a good final Home game win!

BM
Mears and Borthwick are injured. I think Grewcock is pushing his game limit for the season, especially if he goes on tour with England. Don't know why Beattie and Lipman didn't play, but they probably could just do with a rest after last week. It gave the squad players a chance to have a run out. It was good to see people like Abendanon, Faamatuianu, Hawkins, Goodman, etc. get a run out. Out of the five forwards out, we only really missed Mears, as Dixon missed his jumper at some crucial times.

For anyone who just saw the result, it doesn't give a fair reflection of the game. It was 19-12 after about 75 minutes, which probably would have been a fair result, then Sale scored three breakaway tries to make it 38-12.

Bath didn't play great. We had nothing to play for (there was no way we were getting into Europe), so in some ways it turned out to be an elaborate training session. We turned down three or four shots at goal from the first whistle and just tried to score tries, which in the end played into Sale's hands.

On the highlights look out for Malone nutmegging Hodgson with a grubber kick to score in the first half, and then Hodgson selling Flatman an outrageous dummy to go in under the sticks. At one point Hodgon also got the crap knocked out of him in a tackle by Hudson.

Overall, the game was almost worth being surrounded by Mancs (kids who kept shouting 'Bath Scum' in the true spirit of the game), possibly getting punked out by a guy in a foam shark suit and not getting back to Liverpool until half midnight (by which time by bladder was seriously struggling to keep hold of the second half cider). Just don't know why we were so keen on trying cross-field kicks, executed poorly and normally to Abendanon's wing (who's five foot nothing).

Well done to Saints for practically ensuring HEC rugby next year, with a great comeback.

I wish I f**king had Sky though, after what seems to be the game of the season at the Causeway yesterday, with LI scoring 9 tries! Who would have thought it a year ago!

It also looks like Wasps, if they do win next week, will have to face Sale in the semis, rather than the final.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_unio...ish/4955174.stm

Originally posted by harrison2468@May 1 2006, 10:08 AM
Well done to Saints for practically ensuring HEC rugby next year, with a great comeback.
I switched off the radio after 60 minutes when we were 16-0 down :ph34r:

Sounds like we played awfully, but somehow pulled it out of the bag at the end.

Originally posted by harrison2468@May 1 2006, 09:08 PM

I wish I f**king had Sky though, after what seems to be the game of the season at the Causeway yesterday, with LI scoring 9 tries! Who would have thought it a year ago!

It also looks like Wasps, if they do win next week, will have to face Sale in the semis, rather than the final.

Looks like we are out, wasps are jammy in the playoffs.

BM

Originally posted by Black-Monday+May 1 2006, 10:45 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-harrison2468
@May 1 2006, 09:08 PM

I wish I f**king had Sky though, after what seems to be the game of the season at the Causeway yesterday, with LI scoring 9 tries!  Who would have thought it a year ago! 

Looks like we are out, wasps are jammy in the playoffs.

BM [/b]
Wasps still have to play Gloucester away though, and with the Cherry and White's form at the moment, could be another loss for Wasps, which would mean they finish 5th.

Also, if they do win, having to play them at home is surely much better than at Twickenham.

Originally posted by Quintes@Apr 29 2006, 07:10 AM
Anyone care to re-educate me after Moody's disallowed try because of double movement? I though you are allowed to place the ball.
anyone....yes...no...

Haven't seen Moody's effort, but you are allowed to place the ball, provided it's immediate, the ball-carrying arm isn't stationary and in contact with the ground.

Originally posted by Quintes+May 3 2006, 10:11 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Quintes
@Apr 29 2006, 07:10 AM
Anyone care to  re-educate me after Moody's disallowed try because of double movement? I though you are allowed to place the ball.
anyone....yes...no... [/b]
It was the correct decision.

Moody was tackled short, and the ball-carrying arm hit the ground. He was held, therefore he isn't allowed to make a second movement to get over the line.

Can't wait for the final day of the season, my first game since Sarries (At FG anyway).

You might like to know me and my step-dad are doing a disco in the Rodber after the game.

Having seen the highlights on sportal.com, it was definately the right decision not to give Moody's try. He'd clearly stopped moving.

For anyone checking out the highlights on sportal, you'll see me standing (and then sitting) and clapping behind the posts when Chris Malone scores against Sale.

Latest posts