Guinness Pro 12 2014/15: Three changes for next year

iINDOMINUSxx

First XV
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Scotland
Club or Nation
Edinburgh
Someone done this last year, I'll do it this year. So what changes would you like to see to your team next year. My three for Edinburgh is:

1.) When a back-rower get's injured try some young guys out, they're more talented then people think.

2.) Said this last year, play more games at meggetland or somewhere else which isn't murrayfield

3.) Not in the challenge cup means more focus to get a good position in the pro 12.

I didn't really know as we made good signings and we have a good coach.

Someone done this last year, I'll do it this year. So what changes would you like to see to your team next year. My three for Edinburgh is:

1.) When a back-rower get's injured try some young guys out, they're more talented then people think.

2.) Said this last year, play more games at meggetland or somewhere else which isn't murrayfield

3.) Not in the challenge cup means more focus to get a good position in the pro 12.

Re: murrayfield, isn't the club contractually locked in or similar? Seem to recall that being a reason for not rotating games around stadiums/moving somewhere where we won't have a lot of spare seating.

The club isn't contractually obliged to play at Murrayfield. Glasgow and Edinburgh are both operated by the SRU. Whereas Glasgow has Scotstoun (owned by the council) there isn't a similar set up in Edinburgh. It was cost millions for the SRU to build something similar, which whilst being an ideal situation it would just put the SRU back in the debt they have just gotten out of. Ultimately Edinburgh play at Murrayfield because 1. It's a fantastic (if way too big) venue and 2. it makes sense money wise for the SRU.

Ospreys:

Not much I'd change with the O's. They developed really well through last season, with a number of youngsters really stepping up. One area that they are currently weak is at tighthead, Jarvis would make an acceptable backup, but they could really do with a strong scrummaging 3 to compliment Smith at loosehead.

Scarlets:

1. Lure Danny Wilson back from Bristol. This could apply to the Blues as well. He transformed the Scarlets forward pack during the short Tim he was there, and they've been slowly regressing since he left.

2. Find a 10 who's better than Steve Shingler. Shingler is an OK centre, but I don't think he makes a great 10.

3. Invest time into developing Jordan Williams. He's one of the most skillful players I've seen, the Scarlets need to get him on the field, and work on his weaknesses on defence. He's worth investing time in.

Cardiff Blues:

Where to start.

1. New coaching team, and stick with them.

2. Play Patchell at 10, Anscome at 15. Patchell is the more talented player Imo. Back him at 10, and the Blues could have a gem on their hands.

3. Sort the defence out.

Dragons:

They're developing nicely Imo.

1. Secure Faletau.

2. Develop the pack a little more.

3. Settle on a 10.

1) New head coach
2) Sexy outhalf
3) Play competent rugby ?

Cardiff Blues

This year will be a good year to really try some new combinations early on.

1. New head coach and, perhaps crucially, a new team team to accompany him.

2. The centre partnership has to change. Lee-lo is a great signing for the blues, perhaps use Richard Smith or Cory Allen alongside him.

3. I'd like the blues to sign a big second row. With Paulo gone we look really light.

Munster:

1) More younger guys to step up and make statements. JJ and a few huffed and puffed and yes they have the potential but were inconsistent. But Jack O'Donoghue was only 1 (as well as R. O'Mahony) that let his performances talk.

2) More variety. Our A plan is very good and will hurt most teams but on days where it's off we need a plan B that can be equally effective.

3) To cut out aimless kicking and be more clinical. Similar to point 2 I just want us to be consistent and play for 80 mins.

For the Blues I would add on a bit of work ethic up front a lot of the time it looked like the forwards didn't care. 2 good solid workhorse second rows who will put their bodies on the line for the team. A plan for the future as it sometimes seems that the club doesn't know where it is going.

Someone done this last year, I'll do it this year. So what changes would you like to see to your team next year.

1. Improved impact in carrying and breakdown from our backrow throughout the year. Not merely when Henderson is present.

2. Some young cub to emerge as a viable backup to Pienaar. Paul Marshall is never going to learn how to consistently make the right decisions at this point in his career.

3. Playing players in their best position. i.e. Henderson = 6. Payne = 15. Payne at full back is probably worth between an extra 3-6 points a game through the season to our back play.

1. Improved impact in carrying and breakdown from our backrow throughout the year. Not merely when Henderson is present.

2. Some young cub to emerge as a viable backup to Pienaar. Paul Marshall is never going to learn how to consistently make the right decisions at this point in his career.

3. Playing players in their best position. i.e. Henderson = 6. Payne = 15. Payne at full back is probably worth between an extra 3-6 points a game through the season to our back play.
Thought Payne wasn't that bad at 13, Thought he was good enough for you at 13.

Thought Payne wasn't that bad at 13, Thought he was good enough for you at 13.

Better at 15 and Ulster have four other good centers.

For Leinster:

1. Integrate some younger guys, Collie O'Shea, Cian Kelleher etc... should all play reasonably big roles. Current U20 players like Ringrose and Byrne should get a handful of games also.

2. Expand the gameplan and play to the team's strength.

3. A Trophy.

Better at 15 and Ulster have four other good centers.

Five now.

Incidentally, since you mentioned Ringrose, someone posted up details of a Q&A with Schmidt on PR, Schmidt said Ringrose would have to spend most of next year in the gym, think his breakthrough will be season after.

I would like:

A trophy
The Academy conveyor belt to restart
Less shooting ourselves in both feet.

Leinster:
1. 2014/15 was a wasted season in terms of player development. I hope the new coach backs the talented young players coming through the system eg Cian Kelleher, Garry Ringrose, Ross Byrne, Luke McGrath
2. A return to attacking, exciting rugby. The O'Connor years were pockmarked with a regression in skills and no innovation in back play.
3. The marketing department to do a better job. Dublin is a city of over 1 million people and Leinster is a province of 2 million plus. There's no reason why they shouldn't be able to fill an 18000 capacity stadium for every game if they sell the product correctly. Larger attendences = more money to help keep the star players around.

Re: murrayfield, isn't the club contractually locked in or similar? Seem to recall that being a reason for not rotating games around stadiums/moving somewhere where we won't have a lot of spare seating.
Actually i was reading something earlier on saying that apparently Edinburgh are going to try to host some game at Easter Road, http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/33039431 which holds about 20,421 people, to be honest though i still think its still big for Edinburgh Rugby but its getting better

I agree with much of what you say.

Edinburgh are like my second team. I head up there whenever I can to catch a game.

For me:

1) Out of Murryfield! Amazing stadium but due to the small crowd in a huge stadium it does have a negative effect on the crowd trying to get behind their team and being the "16th" man so to speak. Down side is the lack of alternative stadium.

2) Defo get the young lads in and get them some experience. They need to be blooded if they are to make top flight rugby.

3) Will have to get back to on this one 

As for Edinburgh as a whole, I think Solomon has done a grand job with the team. They started slow but towards the end of the season he really has turned the team into a decent machine. Fair enough there is still lots of work to do and plenty of improvement is needed but they are progressing in the right direct in just one season under him.

I agree with much of what you say.

Edinburgh are like my second team. I head up there whenever I can to catch a game.

For me:

1) Out of Murryfield! Amazing stadium but due to the small crowd in a huge stadium it does have a negative effect on the crowd trying to get behind their team and being the "16th" man so to speak. Down side is the lack of alternative stadium.

2) Defo get the young lads in and get them some experience. They need to be blooded if they are to make top flight rugby.

3) Will have to get back to on this one 

As for Edinburgh as a whole, I think Solomon has done a grand job with the team. They started slow but towards the end of the season he really has turned the team into a decent machine. Fair enough there is still lots of work to do and plenty of improvement is needed but they are progressing in the right direct in just one season under him.
Awesome!, first off all welcome to the forum mate, good to see some more Scot's here :)

Yeah we do have some quality youth players, Damien Hoyland, Jamie Ritchie etc. They need more game time this season, Ritchie especially because he had a great in the under 20's six nations and is doing not to badly in the junior world cup i would have certainly picked Ritchie over Hilterbrand on the bench when he was there covering the backrow vs Leinster. Vern has certainly found talent in Hoyland so Solomons should play him.

We do need a better stadium for our fans by playing at a smaller stadium as we have a small fan base. I think even Easter road would be too big for Edinburgh.

As long as Solomons stays i think we can create a successful team like Glasgow has done. Obviously this will not be an overnight progress but as long as Solomons is patient with Edinburgh then we will achieve more. I think the reason why we went down hill is because we kept changing coaches each year and it become difficult for the players to get use to the style off play which the coach prefer them to play. Solomons has been at edinburgh slightly longer then the other coaches we had before and hopefully he stays for another 2 - 3 years at-least.

Last edited:
Thanks mate, however, I only part Scottish, the good part tho haha.

Totally agree about Ritchie, only seen him a handful of times but he has impressed me. Hoping to see the youth get more exposure next season.

I'm no expert about Edinburgh but as far as I can see, from my limited knowledge of the area, Easter road seems to be the only real alternative. Or am I way off with that mate?

Also agree regarding coaches. So much change that the team have struggled to settle down. Solomon has brought a fair amount of stability so let's hope he builds on it

Thanks mate, however, I only part Scottish, the good part tho haha.

Totally agree about Ritchie, only seen him a handful of times but he has impressed me. Hoping to see the youth get more exposure next season.

I'm no expert about Edinburgh but as far as I can see, from my limited knowledge of the area, Easter road seems to be the only real alternative. Or am I way off with that mate?

Also agree regarding coaches. So much change that the team have struggled to settle down. Solomon has brought a fair amount of stability so let's hope he builds on it 
Um there is a few, as a Hibernian supporter i would say Tynecastle would be about a good stadium size for Edinburgh even though i don't know if they're pitch is big enough to host a rugby match's. I would say the most likely move for me is either Meggetland or Myreside.

Um there is a few, as a Hibernian supporter i would say Tynecastle would be about a good stadium size for Edinburgh even though i don't know if they're pitch is big enough to host a rugby match's. I would say the most likely move for me is either Meggetland or Myreside.

Also being a bit of a Hibs fan (not hugely into football) I would never step foot on enemy turf ;) lol

Isn't Tynecastle going to be closed for a while as it is being rebuilt, or part is being rebuilt to make the stadium bigger than Easter Road? If so then Tynecastle size will be another option of moving to a stadium that's far to big.

Plan A - .
Scrap the Blues would be the best, either replace them with a proper team with proper supporters in the Rhonda.

OR -:
Plan B
Scrap the Blues and share the resources amongst the others.

So Basically scrap the Blues

Latest posts