Guinness Pro 12 2016/17: Round 3

Leonormous Boozer

Fat Boi
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Ireland
Club or Nation
Leinster
I'm back, still without Internet access on my laptop but I have been given the greatest gift of all, time!

Friday 16th September

19:00 - Cardiff Blues v Glasgow
19:05 - Ulster v Scarlets
19:35 - Leinster v Edinburgh

Saturday 17th September

17:15 - Dragons v Munster
18:05 - Zebre v Connacht
19:35 - Ospreys v Treviso

While Saturday's are hardly worth watching with wins for the provinces and losses for the Italians guaranteed the expert organisers of our great competition have, rather masterfully, put three potentially great games on Saturday at the exact same time.

Of these games the Blues v Glasgow look the pick of the bunch, two teams coming off the back of good wins against provinces in the ground which will lead to the more competitive fixture. Although Glasgow have maximum points at this stage in the competition I think the trip to Cardiff will end this, Glasgow looked vulnerable against the champions elect last week before Tommy Seymour orchestrated a second half hammering with a little help from Joey Carberry. Cardiff's newfound guile and toughness they showed last week will be improved upon at home and get them over the finish line. Cardiff by <7.

Scarlets v Ulster has my vote as the second best game of the weekend, can Scarlets put their slow start to bed? They'll need to do just that and hope that Ulster don't break out of the second gear that has got them two wins this far. Unfortunately for the Llanelli based region the unwritten law of rugby states that good things can only be happening to two Welsh regions at a time, the Blues and O's have that wrapped up at the moment. Ulster >7.

And finally, the team we all care so much about, the city boys of the pro12, the pretty boys of the pro12, the team with the best dress sense and probably the nicest shoes because Tommy Bowe's selection is a bit meh, The Champions Elect return to the Royal Dublin Society to beat Edinburgh, Joey Carberry takes the reigns of a far more formidable pack than we have seen in the other two games, he's being nursed by Pacific Jesus outside him and links again with the midfield he's fallen in love with. Can Edinburgh stop Messers McGrath, Cronin, Toner, Heaslip, Nacewa et al? No, Leinster >7.

Probably won't see Munster game on Saturday as I'm probs visiting Regensburg, but I'll just assume we win 24-10 and not bother to check the scores. Should be getting our Irish players back properly, and the good news is that Bleyndaal is okay and they were probably just not risking him last week. Still don't predict he'll have a long career but alas, more power to him.
Cardiff Glasgow probably the pick of the bunch, but it will have to take a back seat to the provinces I'm afraid.
Will be good for Connacht to get a win on the board, after the worst start to a ***le defence ever.

Friday 16th September

19:00 - Cardiff Blues v Glasgow
19:05 - Ulster v Scarlets
19:35 - Leinster v Edinburgh

Saturday 17th September

17:15 - Dragons v Munster
18:05 - Zebre v Connacht
19:35 - Ospreys v Treviso

Agree that the fixture schedule is laughable (although not as bad as week one). Sadly I don't think Zebre are in any shape to contest against a floundering Connacht. Agree Ulster and Cardiff fixtures should be belters and that the media's favourites Glasgow are going to get a rude awakening.

ULSTER RUGBY
15. Charles Piutau, 14. Craig Gilroy, 13. Stuart Olding, 12. Stuart McCloskey, 11. Louis Ludik, 10. Paddy Jackson, 9. Ruan Pienaar; 1. Callum Black, 2. Rob Herring (capt.), 3. Rodney Ah You, 4. Pete Browne, 5. Alan O'Connor, 6. Clive Ross, 7. Sean Reidy, 8. Robbie Diack.

Replacements: 16. John Andrew, 17. Andy Warwick, 18. Ross Kane, 19. Franco van der Merwe, 20. Iain Henderson, 21. Angus Lloyd, 22. Luke Marshall, 23. Rob Lyttle.

SCARLETS
15. Aled Thomas, 14. Liam Williams, 13. Jonathan Davies, 12. Hadleigh Parkes, 11. Steff Evans, 10. Rhys Patchell, 9. Gareth Davies; 1. Wyn Jones, 2. Ken Owens (capt.), 3. Werner Kruger, 4. Jake Ball, 5. David Bulbring, 6. Lewis Rawlins, 7. James Davies, 8. John Barclay.

Replacements: 16. Ryan Elias, 17. Luke Garrett, 18. Peter Edwards, 19. Tadhg Beirne, 20. Will Boyde, 21. Aled Davies, 22. Scott Williams, 23. Steff Hughes.

Referee: Ben Whitehouse (WRU, 27th competition game)
Assistant Referees: Cammy Rudkin (SRU), Shane Kierans (IRFU)
Citing Commissioner: Eddie Walsh (IRFU)
TMO: Charles Samson (SRU)

I think this will be the game to watch if you're in the mood for running rugby, as those two packs are pretty awful but the back lines are mental good. Usually safe to back Ulster at Ravers though.

We're up against "the best backline in Europe"[1] tonight.

Hard to see how we can possibly win against that. :(

[1]www.scarletfever.org

We're up against "the best backline in Europe"[1] tonight.

Hard to see how we can possibly win against that. :(

[1]www.scarletfever.org

Yeah I am uncomfortable with this as well. You only earn the right to say that if you win in Europe. Cringey. Can only see Ulster winning this one. Confidence is at a low in Llanelli and I'd be surprised to see this as the game that they turn it around.

Sun is out in the 'diff. Looking forward to the Glasgow game. Still think that they are favourites, even with current form. I would like to see Cuthbert find a bit of form today and make sure he's strong in defence. That's the man I would kick behind if I were Glasgow.

Finn Russell has finally been training with full contact but won't make today's game for Glasgow. He will get a run out for his championship club at the weekend so hopefully he'll be back in Pro12 action in a couple of weeks. Horne is an able deputy though so I don't think they've any excuses if they go down to the Blues tonight.

I would like to see Cuthbert find a bit of form today and make sure he's strong in defence.

His defence has never been good - no matter his form.

He has very poor awareness, and for a big fella is quite prone to shirking a tackle.

Anyhoo, time I was on my proverbial bike down to Ravenspan. SUFTUM!

Jackson's tactical kicking has been obscenely good this opening 20.

Scarlets continue to be pwp then.

Ulster however, have looked excellent. Offloading game has been immense so far, and Paddy Jackson is just pulling the strings with ease atm.

We're just not getting the final passes away/losing a few too many rucks.

We're just not getting the final passes away/losing a few too many rucks.

You should be far and away out of sight of the Scarlets by now...

JD2 has had an awful start to the season in defence and attack.

Scarlets have the edge up front, which makes their struggles with the ball out wide even more baffling. It's not like they are having to settle for slow ball. I've watched them two weeks running thinking they must surely click into gear any second and it just isn't happening.

Painful faceplant and somersault for Edinburgh's first score. Allen lucky he never broke his neck!

BP by halftime, everywhere in Toulouse showing soccer and the red hand gang so I can't watch. Did just realise it's in Edinburgh and not Dublin, excuse you all for not correcting me.

Scarlets blowing a 3 on 1 now. I've not seen much of the lad Gilroy but he looks handy. Surprised these back lines are combining for just one try in perfect conditions.

Its a win, but made hard work of it - and had more than a few generous slices of good fortune.

A bit more precision would have racked up a bonus point win though - so can't be too harsh.

Oh - and back to the old concern for Luke Marshall. Really, really worrying. :(

Last edited:
Terrible defence from Edinburgh first half. So bad that the Gaelic channel went off air for five minutes to protect viewers of a nervous disposition, then hid the scoreline graphics when they came back so you could pretend your team wasn't getting horsed. That's what I call public service broadcasting.

All Edinburgh in second half but I'll credit their general lack of scoring to their lack of cutting edge rather than any amazing defensive systems Lancaster has come up with. The brightspots for Edinburgh were their pack and the young back Kinghorn. The rest was decidedly ordinary.

Scarlets are infuriating to watch atm. Their discipline is poor, and at unnecessary times as well. Jake Ball has gone downhill massively in the last season or so, from a good performer for Wales to a bit a liability. When he concentrates on the basics, like he did towards the end of the game, carrying hard and hitting rucks, he's fine, but he just needs to keep it in check, and cut out the mistakes.

Despite winning some crucial turnovers ruck time, in general I thought they were pretty poor at the contact area throughout. Ulster were allowed quick ball throughout the match, whilst the Scarlets ball was often scrappy and slow. It's always going to be difficult under such circumstances, with Ulster on the front foot 90% of the time with ball in hand, but the Scarlets struggling to get anywhere.

And yet there was still a genuine opportunity in this match for the Scarlets to somehow snatch victory from the jaws of defeat. Ulster should have been out of sight, but some great scramble defense, and jackling work by James Davies in particular kept them in it. How they failed to score with that 2 on 1, I don't know. Poor execution by Aled Davies there. Who knows what they were thinking when Aled Davies decided to box kick with a few minutes left, terrible decision!

Finally, I really question Pivac as a coach. I haven't seen anything to suggest he's got what it takes to get the Scarlets performing as they should. He's failed to recruit in areas where the Scarlets have been struggling in since Ben Morgan left, i.e. some ball carrying forwards. Rarely have the Scarlets looked like a cohesive unit during his time in charge, instead often looking a little rudderless and with no real game plan. I don't understand his approach to selection either, constantly chopping and changing. Case in point is at scrum half, with a different player starting each game. Why shift one of your best players, Liam Williams, from fullback onto the wing to accommodate an average 10 out of position at 15? Why not give the Williams-Davies midfield time to gel?

Anyway, congrats to Ulster. Fully deserved win in the end.

Great win for the Blues as well, shows just how much impact a quality coach can have on a team. Scarlets very reminiscent of the Blues of a couple of seasons ago, yet the Blues are now showing great cohesiveness and playing some great rugby.

Latest posts