• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Guinness Pro 12: Round 20 Fixtures

When you watch Munster play you have to sigh. No attack, not a lot in defence. No flyhalf. Not real sign of leadership.

I haven't been impressed with Murray tonight, maybe that is because of his flyhalf, but big Peter Stringer is still the best scrum half in Ireland.

I thought Holland actually played well enough all things considering. Definitely a better option than Keatley. Don't know how Foley will stay on for next season. He's just not up to it.

Connacht were excellent. Munster a shambles.

I questioned Finlay Bealham's call up to the Ireland squad but he has been absolutely outstanding of late. Hope his injury isn't too serious.

As has been said by multiple posters here and elsewhere, Denis Buckley completely derserves international honours too. He's consistently superb.

Connacht were excellent.
As has been said by multiple posters here and elsewhere, Denis Buckley completely derserves international honours too. He's consistently superb.

+1000000 on this. I genuinely don't understand what Joe believes he's doing so wrong that Kilcoyne and Cronin can get in ahead of him. He is a beast at the breakdown (which is something Joe obsesses over), has great hands, very dynamic, great tackler (particularly at choke tackling) and has a huge work rate.

Whatever about Joe going for the supposed "conservative" option of a Payne-Henshaw centre combo with Kearney at fullback, I just can't fathom how Buckley isn't getting a look in. Buckley playing for Ireland is as conservative/risky as Sexton playing for Ireland

Lads we are in huge trouble now. Poor showing.

Not a dig at Leinster but hope Connacht or Glasgow win league just because they've the best brand of rugby.

I look back now and think Rob Penney tried to take us down the same route Lam did with Connacht and we will regret it a bit.

Last edited:

Not a dig at Leinster but hope Connacht or Glasgow win league just because they've the best brand of rugby.

I look back now and think Rob Penney tried to take us down the same route Lam did with Connacht and we will regret it a bit.

In fairness, Leinster at times played a high offloading game this season under Cullen and Dempsey. It was impossible to get the Internationals playing this system to the same degree as the younger guys as they were off at the RWC and 6N which caused a lot of disruption. The younger players' skillset in terms of offloading was evident throughout the season if you saw them play, mainly due to spending a lot of time with Dempsey with the As over the last few years.
The summer tour this year won't help things but we should be in a better state next year with our Internationals getting more time in the pre-season with Dempsey and co so they can implement this highly attacking rugby.

Penny tried to rock the boat and wasn't allowed?

Yeah, I thought Munster were just having an off season with a bad coach but it's deeper than that. To let Penney go and replace him with a novice was a terrible call that began a rot throughout the province. They have no structure outside the line-out, very little resolve under pressure and a complete inability to build momentum. The fact that they still have a chance to qualify for Europe is an indictment on the quality of Pro 12 rugby outside the top 4, against whom they've been less than successful against. (One win v World Cup Glasgow)

When you think that they were successful relative to the rest of their season in the international periods it's even worse. I hope they get into Europe because they'll be financially crippled without it.

The race for the top two spots is really interesting going into the last two games. All teams are assured 5 points v Italian sides so the home semis will be decided by Connacht v Glasgow in the Sportsground and Leinster's trip to Belfast, one point for Leinster should be enough assuming there isn't a draw in Connacht but Connacht arguably have the most to lose, a win could get them the home semi v the Scarlets while a loss would send them away to Glasgow who they'll have lost to at home, or Leinster where they didn't score a point earlier in the season. Glasgow would fancy winning one of two games in Connacht as well. I'd predict a repeat of 2014's final but hope for an Irish takeover in Edinburgh.

Luke it's no disrespect respect to Leinster but they're nowhere near other 2 in style. Thats not slamming them just saying their style isn't same.
Alpha your correct in all that post and I've been slated for saying it but even top 4 are good bit off top English and French teams.

Warriors heading to retain their ***le with an impressive rout of Scarlets . Russell was s uperb and showed real class in today's game . Watch the |Connacht game tonight with interest ! Seem to be some feeling in the Provinces ! LOL

Wouldn't jump the gun just yet! Still a few games to go, and as it stands Glasgow will be playing away in the semi final, which is never an easy prospect.

Russell looked class from what I saw anyway. Scarlets looked bleedin' knackered though after the bug during the week.

"I don't need a coach at every scrum" I get what you're saying Ben but actually you do.

Naw, your scrum is ****.

Has been for years. The fact that BJ Botha almost on his zimmer frame was still your first choice tighthead says it all.
Just no ref has had the balls to metaphorically state "**** you, don't want to scrum right, then go sit in the dugout".

Naw, your scrum is ****.

Has been for years. The fact that BJ Botha almost on his zimmer frame was still your first choice tighthead says it all.
Just no ref has had the balls to metaphorically state "**** you, don't want to scrum right, then go sit in the dugout".

Yeah try watching some of them again. Got pinned first for Bealham absolutely collapsing off his feet flat body no precedent for anything but a Munster penalty. He's a guy who makes hay on driving inwards and upwards. We were ****e in every facet yesterday but don't buy Bealham's hype.

Style over an Irish winner? Ah lad, even I'm not that anti-Munster!! :p

I do think the try of the weekend was Luke McGrath's, sweet bit of play. Leinster are simmering!

"I don't need a coach at every scrum" I get what you're saying Ben but actually you do.
he doesn't
I've seen blind dead mutes who have a better grasp on the game of rugby than Ben Whitehouse.
nonesense, outside Nigel Owens, Whitehouse and Mitera are easily two best refs in the league
Well they're used to singing it as they were all Munster fans 3 years ago
lol sure
Yeah try watching some of them again. Got pinned first for Bealham absolutely collapsing off his feet flat body no precedent for anything but a Munster penalty. He's a guy who makes hay on driving inwards and upwards. We were ****e in every facet yesterday but don't buy Bealham's hype.
Cronin clearly pulled down on Finlay AND was burrowing in at an angle- this all minutes after Ben gave a warning to all props to cop on in regards the scrum

Style over an Irish winner? Ah lad, even I'm not that anti-Munster!! :p

I do think the try of the weekend was Luke McGrath's, sweet bit of play. Leinster are simmering!

Connacht are Irish. And it's not anti anything just I admire the way both team set an identity. If Leinster win they'll have earned it too.

FWIW I don't think ref was bad and his calls at scrum time, having rewatched, were justified.

Last edited:
Good to see that the Blues are making a late season surge up the table. Danny Wilson is the miracle man, getting rid of some of the the dead weight within the squad and also giving some of the youngsters a chance. Some will argue that the Blues have a great squad at their disposal and should be doing this anyway but it is great at watching some of the rugby Wilson has gotten them playing.

Connacht are Irish. And it's not anti anything just I admire the way both team set an identity. If Leinster win they'll have earned it too.

FWIW I don't think ref was bad and his calls at scrum time, having rewatched, were justified.
I was only 'avin a giggle Muff. Leinster have done their fair share if winning sexy, I just want a trophy regardless of shtyle!

Yes but the way the othe 2 have built from ashes up with little or no resources is phenomenal. Leinster have always had huge investment and players coming through. They should always be challenging. The way Connacht have operated under Lam is miraculous.

Latest posts