[TD]Treviso[/TD]
[TD]vs.[/TD]
[TD]Scarlets[/TD]
[TD][20:05][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]

Previews
Can Connacht get up and running? With the week Edinburgh have had, are they ever going to have a better chance? [Well... maybe Zebre away, but we all know how that was going!!]
Glasgow to bounce back from last week against the Dragons who went down in Treviso? Likely you'd imagine.
POM maybe on the comeback trail for Munster in front of an empty Thomond park with men everywhere watching the Mayo vs. Jackeen match and woofters watching the golf. Should easily see off a Zebre side that are looking at last in the league already - despite their improved showing last week.
Ulster - Ospreys, first of the two ties of the round. Ospreys brought back down to earth with more than a bump last weekend, they will be hurting and looking to bounce back. Can Ulster's great start continue? At home you'd think so.
The 2nd tie of the round. Blues going well until stuttering over the line last week, Leinster seemingly up and running with J10 back at the reins. The Blues have got a few hammerings at the RDS over the years, can they sneak a win? Despite their generally improved form and what seems like a bit more dog about them, I'd say its unlikely.
Treviso won last week - but Scarlets are a step up from the Dragons - a step I think Treviso can maybe make if they can dominate the forward battle and make it a 9 man game.

If anyone has TV info, please post in the thread - might be useful to someone.

Some good games this week. Think Connacht might finally be about to get on the score sheet. Glasgow should walk over the Dragons, who I think are likely to implode further, but hope I'm wrong. Munster v Zebre should be a fairly one-sided affair, too. Scarlets should hopefully score an away win, but hard to tell with them at the moment.

Ulster v Ospreys should be pretty good. Ulster should win at home but hoping the Ospreys will click a little better this week. Depends on the squad selections though - if they keep Sam Davies at fullback then I can't see them doing much better than last week.

Personally looking forward to Blues v Leinster most for obvious reasons. Expecting Leinster to win but also a serious step up from the Blues, with the home advantage giving them a boost. Hoping for an exciting, close match but have a feeling Leinster might just be a step too far for us. We'll see though, a win is definitely not the impossible feat it once seemed!

Just a shame the two best matches (IMO) clash this weekend, but hey.

Last chance saloon already for Connacht and Edinburgh I'd wager but it will be interesting to see any immediate change in style for Edinburgh. Looking forward to the Welsh vs Irish games among playoff contenders, fancy the home team in both. Jonathan Davies has got a bizarre notion he keeps repeating that Biggar should be dropped for the Ospreys. I don't care how good Sam Davies is thought to be, that is bonkers to me!

Treviso kickoff is 1905 UK time and should also be competitive if the real Scarlets still refuse to turn up as they are really struggling to score points. I think there are small signs that the Scarlets are waking up, so they should pip this. I'll be hoping for a losing bonus for Zebre who are exceeding my expectations. But they could just as easily get a drubbing. Still it's good for the competition as before the start of the season I reckoned both these Italian fixtures would be complete no contests, but now I'll be trying to find some way to see them.

No additional TV info I'm afraid. BBC Alba also going with Dragons vs Glasgow, arguably the least interesting tie of the round!

Last edited:
Jonathan Davies has got a bizarre notion he keeps repeating that Biggar should be dropped for the Ospreys. I don't care how good Sam Davies is thought to be, that is bonkers to me!

Both Biggar and Davies are good, either one could start - though Biggar would be the smarter choice for this match I think. Just don't want to see Davies at fullback, because he gets caught out when he plays there. Let Dan Evans cover it and bring Davies on as an impact sub for Biggar after 60 mins.

LEINSTER (Leinster caps in brackets):

15.Zane Kirchner (69)
14. Fergus McFadden (143)
13. Rory O'Loughlin (2)
12. Noel Reid (63)
11. Dave Kearney (106)
10. Johnny Sexton (127) CAPTAIN
9. Jamison Gibson-Park (4)
1. Jack McGrath (97)
2. James Tracy (19)
3. Mike Ross (138)
4. Mick Kearney (11)
5. Ian Nagle (0)
6. Dan Leavy (17)
7. Josh van der Flier (28)
8. Rhys Ruddock (114)

16. Sean Cronin (116)
17. Peter Dooley (23)
18. Michael Bent (65)
19. Devin Toner (183)
20. Jamie Heaslip (219)
21. Nick McCarthy (3)
22. Joey Carbery (4)
23. Barry Daly (0)

Huge variety of experience and youth again, hope it works well, really enjoyable time to be a Leinster fan right now! Doubt I'll watch it, won't be on in the pub and I'll be celebrating the Dubs two in a row!

Yeah, I mean by all means rest Biggar for easier fixtures. But not ones that might decide the ***le. Biggar had a lovely behind the back floating pass last week for a try if i remember right. Can't believe Wales have joined Ireland as having multiple good options at ten, including young guys. I'm dead jealous.

Connacht Rugby v Edinburgh
Friday 30th September 19:35 – The Sportsground

Connacht Rugby: O'Halloran, Adeolokun, Aki, Robb, Healy, Carty, Marmion, Buckley, McCartney, Carey, Roux, Dilane, McKeon, Heenan, Muldoon

Replacements: Heffernan, Loughney, Bealham, Stevenson, Connolly, Blade, O'Leary, Kelleher

Edinburgh: Bryce, Hoyland, Dean, Rasolea, Allen, Tovey, Kennedy, Sutherland, Ford, Nel, Toolis, Gilchrist, Bradbury, Hardie, Du Preez

Replacements: McInally, Cosgrove, Dell, Carmichael, Watson, Hidalgo-Clyne, Tofilau, Kinghorn

Newport Gwent Dragons v Glasgow Warriors
Friday 30th September 19:35 – Rodney Parade

Newport Gwent Dragons: Meyer, Howard, Beard, Dixon, Amos, Macleod, Pretorius, Hobbs, Rhys Thomas, Harris, Screech, Landman, Crosswell, Cudd, Evans

Replacements; *Buckley, T Davies, Mitchell, Hill, Keddie, C Davies, O'Brien, Prydie.

Glasgow Warriors: Murchie, Seymour, Bennett, Dunbar, Hughes, Russell, Pyrgos, Allan, Flynn, Puafisi, Harley, Gray, Wynne, Brown, Strauss

Replacements: MacArthur, Sears-Duru, Rae, McApline, Fagerson, Price, Clegg, Sarto

Munster Rugby v Zebre Rugby
Saturday 1st Oct 17:00 – Thomond Park

Munster Rugby: Zebo, Sweetnam, Earls, Taute, Wootton, Bleyendaal, Murray, Kilcoyne, Casey, Archer, Ryan, O'Shea, Holland, O'Donnell, Stander

Replacements: Scannell, Cronin, Ryan, O'Mahony, Oliver, Williams, Keatley, Bohane

Zebre Rugby: Padovani, Di Guilo, Bisegni, Castello, Venditti, Canna, Palazzani, Lovotti, D'Apice, Chistolini, Geldenhuys, Koegelenberg, Sarto, Meyer, Ruzza

Replacements: Festuccia, Postiglioni, Roan, Furno, Minnie, Engelbrecht, Boni, Greeff

Ulster Rugby v Ospreys
Saturday 1st Oct 18:30 – Kingspan Stadium

Ulster Rugby: Piutau, Gilroy, Payne, Cave, Ludik, Jackson, Marshall, McCall, Best, Ah You, O'Connor, Van der Merwe, Henderson, Reidy, Wilson

Replacements: Andrew, Black, Kane, Treadwell, Diack, Pienaar, Herron, Bowe

Ospreys: Evans, Hassler, John, Matavesi, Walker, Biggar, Webb, Smith, Parry, Arhip, Davies, Wyn Jones, King, Tipuric, Baker

Replacements: Baldwin, James, Fia, Thornton, Cracknell, Ardron, Habberfield, Davies

Cardiff Blues v Leinster Rugby
Saturday 1st Oct 19:35 – BT Sport Cardiff Arms Park

Cardiff Blues: Morgan, Scully, Allen, Lee-Lo, James, Anscombe, L Williams, G Jenkins, Dacey, Filise, Earle, Turnbull, Warburton, Jenkins, N Williams

Replacements: Rees, Gill, Andrews, Cook, Navidi, T Williams, Shingler, Fish

Leinster Rugby: Kirchner, McFadden, O'Loughlin, Reid, D Kearney, Sexton, Gibson-Park, McGrath, Tracy, Ross, M Kearney, Nagle, Leavy, van der Flier, Ruddock

Replacements: Cronin, Dooley, Bent, Toner, Heaslip, McCarthy, Carbery, Daly

Benetton Trevisov v Scarlets
Saturday 1st Oct 20:05 – Stadio Monigo

Benetton Treviso: Hayward, Esposito, Benvenuti, Sgarbi, McLean, Allan, Bronzini, De Marchi, Gega, Ferrari, Fuser, Paulo, Minto, Budd, Steyn

Replacements: Bigi, Zanusso, Traore, Gerosa, Lazzaroni, Tebaldi, McKinley, Buondonno

Scarlets: L Williams, Van Der Merwe, Parkes, S Williams, Evans, Patchell, G Davies, Jones, Owens, Lee, Rawlins, Bulbring, Shingler, J Davies, Barclay

Replacements: Elias, Garrett, Kruger, Bernardo, Allen, A Davies, Thomas, Hughes

Read more at http://www.pro12rugby.com/2016/09/30/round-5-team-sheets/#O7mbxf7QcI5SbRUf.99

- - - Updated - - -

Treviso kickoff is 1905 UK time and should also be competitive if the real Scarlets still refuse to turn up as they are really struggling to score points. I think there are small signs that the Scarlets are waking up, so they should pip this. I'll be hoping for a losing bonus for Zebre who are exceeding my expectations. But they could just as easily get a drubbing. Still it's good for the competition as before the start of the season I reckoned both these Italian fixtures would be complete no contests, but now I'll be trying to find some way to see them.

Fingers crossed they have turned a corner and they'll continue to improve. They've some good players now and I know that they've improved their fitness greatly over the summer.

Glasgow have been incredibly crafty so far, fair play! Couple of times they've managed to slow down the ball when the refs back is turned.

Dragons have been poor so far, no accuracy in their attack despite dominating the first 14 mins possession wise. Keep handing Glasgow opportunities and all.

Greasy and windy day down here in the diff so that may impact on the way the teams will approach the game. I expect Sexton to test Mathew Morgan with some well placed high balls and Dave Kearny for first try would be a good shout. Shingler missed 11 points from the tee against Zebre so I'm not too concerned about sneaking a win out there.

Game will be won at the breakdown and both backrows have a bit of form! Cardiff can score try's but will need to keep Leinster out to win this one. Should be a cracker!

Shingler missing 11 points certainly puts a different complexion on the score. Games last night okay. Connacht improved a little. Nice play from 14 & 15, but lacking punch up front. No "new coach" bounce from Edinburgh, which doesn't surprise me.

Credible performance from Dragons although assisted by an unusual yellow card. If they are as young squad then I wouldn't be so down on them. They seem well coached now (except at the maul defence) and haven't been horsed yet this season. Finn Russell so opposed to using a scrum cap he has gone for the "half turban" look instead. I don't think we'll be seeing that look at the Milan catwalks next season.

Well that drive just proved how daft the choke tackle maul rules are :rolleyes:

Blues drive 15m or so up the field, but get punished for it because Leinster players are allowed to legally kill the ball essentially. Really wish they'd look into those rules, makes no sense why the team with the momentum is punished there.

EDIT: Jesus this TMO decision is a joke ! Confusion all around.

Last edited:
This ref is incredible. Not allowing a contest at the ruck.

Leinster getting all the calls here, not convinced at all on a fair few of them too! Filise was nowhere near the ball, and ignores Leinster hands on the floor...

We've barely had a penalty. 25 mins in and blues get a chance.

Well Leinster's turn to have harsh calls. Not convinced he was held there!

- - - Updated - - -

Bloody hell, considering how quick he was to call Filise for not rolling away (when he wasn't anywhere near the ball), how on earth did Leinster get away with not being pinged there?!

This ref is atrocious. Genuinely awful. Nonsensical penalties. Clear double movement there too. Awful.

I'm at the game. What was wrong with Lee los steal for the Leinster penalty? Looked like a decent turnover to me?

Cool. Thought I was being biased and one eyed. But the ref has had a cheeky bet on Leinster.

Cool. Thought I was being biased and one eyed. But the ref has had a cheeky bet on Leinster.

He's been rubbish. Blues have had the worst of it, but few howlers against Leinster too. Really hoping he doesn't ref anything I watch anytime soon!

Latest posts