Guinness Pro12 Round 6

Amiga500

First XV
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Ireland
Club or Nation
Ulster
With a pre-emptive strike quicker than the yanks if they discovered TRF had loads of oil and needed "freedom", is the Guinness Pro12 Round 6!!! [for avoidance of doubt, there is no oil here, so the forum goers will continue to eek out survival under the harsh dictatorial admin regime rather than bask in their newfound "freedom" ;)]

[TABLE="width: 800"]
<tbody>[TR]
[TD]Friday[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Connacht[/TD]
[TD]vs.[/TD]
[TD]Ulster[/TD]
[TD][19:35][/TD]
[TD]TG4, BBC2 NI[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Edinburgh[/TD]
[TD]vs.[/TD]
[TD]Treviso[/TD]
[TD]BBC Alba[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Ospreys[/TD]
[TD]vs.[/TD]
[TD]Blues[/TD]
[TD]BBC2 Wales[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Saturday[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Leinster[/TD]
[TD]vs.[/TD]
[TD]Munster[/TD]
[TD][14:05][/TD]
[TD]WHOOOSH (SkySports1)[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Zebre[/TD]
[TD]vs.[/TD]
[TD]Glasgow[/TD]
[TD][17:05][/TD]
[TD]See here[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Scarlets[/TD]
[TD]vs.[/TD]
[TD]Dragons[/TD]
[TD]S4C[/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]

Previews
Connacht up and running. Still missing a lot of men upfront though... which will likely prove troublesome in overcoming an Ulster squad who look to be building some decent depth - if not maybe the best XV in the league. They could use what they have more effectively though (i.e. Payne at 15 and nowhere else).
Hard to gauge exactly where Edinburgh are at the moment. Deep trouble? Or looking for a fresh voice to add direction to a team that can play much better than they have been? Treviso underperformed last week - I can see them winning on the road this week.
Best game of Friday night, both teams sore after coming out on the wrong end of big calls last week. The team-talks will be pretty easy with regards motivation. Can the Blues forwards handle the O's pack? I don't think so.

From the best on Friday to the pick of Saturday, Ladybois with Beats headphones vs. Pashun, Intensuty and unquantifiable amounts of braveness and faithfulness. Both in a decent run of results, beyond the scoreboard Leinster probably playing the better stuff. The Munster scrum won't be able to push the D4 pack around like they did Edinburgh. Can they get a win over the boy in blue for their Athenry neighbours?
Zebre with it all to do. Have to fancy Glasgow to at least do what they did to the Dragons.
Which brings us neatly on to the Dragons... if there is any team in Wales most vulnerable to the Dragons, its probably the Scarlets - the others are just too good up front to be suckered into an arm wrestle. They'll be well up for it and could see it as their big chance. So based on all that I'll tip them to lose anyway.

Last edited:
I'm glad its someone else's turn to be overly optimistic about an Italian side this week after my prediction last eeek that Zebre could sneak a defensive bonus point at Munster. They were only 37 or so points short! I found out last week how to break the internet so I can watch all Italian home matches on their YouTube (because apparently the FIR couldn't even negotiate a TV deal!). I'll post details when I can get to a computer.

Watching Edinburgh and Treviso scramble around like blind puppies in their quest for bottom spot might just break my heart. Expect Blues and Leinster to win the big clashes and the rest to go with league position. Agree that Dragons will have a sniff.

The second page of the round 5 thread became corrupted for me so I couldn't comment on the appalling officiating at the Blues game. Scottish fans are often convinced that the "luck of the Irish" is a real and tangible thing in the Pro12 courtesy of refs and TMO. I've not seen enough to draw a firm conclusion but a few more performances like that one against the Blues might make me join the ranks of the paranoid.

The second page of the round 5 thread became corrupted for me so I couldn't comment on the appalling officiating at the Blues game. Scottish fans are often convinced that the "luck of the Irish" is a real and tangible thing in the Pro12 courtesy of refs and TMO. I've not seen enough to draw a firm conclusion but a few more performances like that one against the Blues might make me join the ranks of the paranoid.

Paranoid is the appropriate word. They were *****ing and moaning about Dudley Philips being the ref BEFORE the match started. A few decisions goes Leinster way and he makes the news. He also gave Cardiff a few easy points and Philips himself persuaded the TMO that Leinster did not score a try, after the TMO was awarding a try to Leinster.

And anyone who saw the match will know that Cardiff had plenty of ball but couldn't score apart from one opportunist try. Conveniently Phillips was there to take the blame instead of looking at themselves.

Philips was in the firing line before the match started because of where he is from. There has never been any mention of where Welsh refs are from. For instance Ben Whitehouse from Swansea took charge of the Swansea based, Ospreys match against Connacht a few weeks ago.

This will continue until the Scots and Italians produce more referees. I can think of one Italian but can't think of any Scottish refs currently in the pro12. Is there any?

The second page of the round 5 thread became corrupted for me

Same for me. Wouldn't load up at all.

- - - Updated - - -

Philips was in the firing line before the match started because of where he is from.

This will continue until the Scots and Italians produce more referees.

Why do the Pro12 not do partial ref swaps with the English and French professional leagues. They've done it before, we'd Luke Pearce referee a match at Ravenhill a couple of years ago against Leinster - the b0ll0x sent off Tom Court too.

Would gradually help make for more consistent refereeing across the professional and international game - and would remove the question of bias.

Its hard enough to referee without having that added complication hanging over you!

Having seen the Ulster team and bench for the game in G-G-G-G-Galway, I'm not fancying our chances so much.

Diack at lock, CRoss at openside, pMarshall at 9 (with no Pienaar shaped safety net on the bench), Piatau out, McCloskey out, LMarshall out...

This will continue until the Scots and Italians produce more referees. I can think of one Italian but can't think of any Scottish refs currently in the pro12. Is there any?

An entirely fair point. I've no idea about the status of Scottish refereeing myself.

To view Italian home games (e.g. the only way to watch Glasgow this weekend) you need to:

i) have Google Chrome
ii) download Hola / VPN
iii) go to http://www.therugbychannel.it/
iv) select Italy through the Hola button

Surprisingly simple to do.

Paranoid is the appropriate word. They were *****ing and moaning about Dudley Philips being the ref BEFORE the match started. A few decisions goes Leinster way and he makes the news. He also gave Cardiff a few easy points and Philips himself persuaded the TMO that Leinster did not score a try, after the TMO was awarding a try to Leinster.

And anyone who saw the match will know that Cardiff had plenty of ball but couldn't score apart from one opportunist try. Conveniently Phillips was there to take the blame instead of looking at themselves.

Philips was in the firing line before the match started because of where he is from. There has never been any mention of where Welsh refs are from. For instance Ben Whitehouse from Swansea took charge of the Swansea based, Ospreys match against Connacht a few weeks ago.

Lloyd Linton who was ref for the Scarlets v Munster in round 1 , Dragons v Zebre in round 2 , Ospreys v Treviso in round 3 and did not get any games in round 4 and 5. Sam Grove-White is also on the ref list but has only been named as assistant so far in the Pro12 but has refereed games in Japan, U20 6 Nations

Come on Ospreys, with Sam Davies given game time by the Ospreys I'm hopping he continues to impress and gets the chance for Wales in the autumn tests, he has the potential to be something special and if he carries on improving could end up on the Lions tour. In fact I will stick my neck out and predict he will be first choice 10 for the Lions.(trip to the bookies tomorrow to see if I can get odds on it)

Come on Ospreys, with Sam Davies given game time by the Ospreys I'm hopping he continues to impress and gets the chance for Wales in the autumn tests, he has the potential to be something special and if he carries on improving could end up on the Lions tour. In fact I will stick my neck out and predict he will be first choice 10 for the Lions.(trip to the bookies tomorrow to see if I can get odds on it)

Don't think Paddy Power caters to giraffes!

The kid is good but he's yet to oust Biggar who is probably fourth in line at the time of writing. Maybe stick it on 2021 but Joey Carberry is the money man there! ;)

Treviso embarrassing and Allan off after five mins. Switched to Welsh derby to see this Davies lad play in his preferred position. He'll do well to not be outshone by Anscombe though.

It was going so well, then...
attachment.php

Attachments

• wteq.jpg
    wteq.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 47
So... Ulster getting hockeyed out in Galway - and totally deservedly.

Looks like Connacht are back.

A very expensive yellow card for Cardiff. A long way back now unfortunately.

I can see why there is excitement around Sam Davies but had to switch to the Irish game which is shaping up as a nail biter. Connacht looking a bit more like last season. Healy's backup on the wing Kellaher seems handy too.

Ulster very, very sloppy.

Ref unbelievable. I've never seen anyone give so many cheap penalties.

Return of the Mack. Good performance by Connacht. Looked the team they were last season again. Some real bite out wide again with a few young forwards carrying hard yards. Kelleher is going to grow into a fine player. Looked very comfortable among seasoned pros and was always cool in contact.
I had an Austrian in my room talking to me about his life as a rich woman's toy boy so I couldn't spot much of the refereeing, but Ulster were pretty careless at the breakdown in situations where if they'd kept their feet and discipline there was a turnover on. Did think a few things were a bit harsh on Ulster alright, but like I said before, modern sportsmen should be able to play the ref.

Latest posts