Gun incidents

Reiser99

International
TRF Legend
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Leicester
While I'm sure most will be American, this isn't exclusively for American incidents or just bashing America and their attitudes towards guns.

I personally disagree with their gun laws and I can't understand why they won't introduce even basic background checks, but I accept that it's their country and they have their own points of view.

To start the thread I just want to say...GOOD!

This guy deserves life for what he did and all because he was asked to stop shooting so a baby could sleep.

However, to also start a discussion. Surely if their were background checks he would never have had a gun. Saying that he was apparently deported 4 times previously and came back to America even buying property, so something isn't working there either.

And yet again another case of using an AR-15 style rife. 🤦‍♂️

Having worked with people using assault rifles. They are designed for one thing and that is killing people.
Some of the people using them would have been safer with the firing pin removed. The incident of negligencent discharges within the British Army is probably higher than most think.

How you can let people lose with an assault rifle without a back ground check is bad. I think it could be argued you need an IQ test as well.

While I'm sure most will be American, this isn't exclusively for American incidents or just bashing America and their attitudes towards guns.

I personally disagree with their gun laws and I can't understand why they won't introduce even basic background checks, but I accept that it's their country and they have their own points of view.

To start the thread I just want to say...GOOD!

This guy deserves life for what he did and all because he was asked to stop shooting so a baby could sleep.

However, to also start a discussion. Surely if their were background checks he would never have had a gun. Saying that he was apparently deported 4 times previously and came back to America even buying property, so something isn't working there either.
I agree with you, no one should be allowed a gun except for police because obviously, people use them for the wrong reasons.

I know that the media tends to overreport (not that each incident doesn't deserve attention) in the wake of mass shootings but Jesus it feels like I'm seeing multiple shootings every day being reported now, be it mass shootings or people losing their minds and shooting their neighbours for using a leaf blower or whatever

I know that the media tends to overreport (not that each incident doesn't deserve attention) in the wake of mass shootings but Jesus it feels like I'm seeing multiple shootings every day being reported now, be it mass shootings or people losing their minds and shooting their neighbours for using a leaf blower or whatever
Yeah I had the same feeling. It seems to be in the news a lot right now but I always thought this was something that happened every couple days. I don't mind it being in the news as a I think public awareness of how batshit crazy this is will be a good thing.

Here's the latest.

Btw I've probably linked it before by this the the John Oliver reports into how Australia banned automatic weapons and eliminated it's mass shootings and comparisons with America.

I understand people wanting the right to own guns, but saying that less guns won't make people safer is nonsense when it has been proven to work in another country that had similar issues.

(Part 1, I think)

(Part 2)

(Part 3)

At least ban AR-15 style rifles, which would be a start. Absolutely no need for civilians to own them.

I understand people wanting the right to own guns.

You do?

I don't in the slightest.

A tiny number of people need them for their jobs or for protection if, say, they live in the wilds of bear country (not most of us). A small number of people actually use them for legitimate sport….I once went to an open day at Bisley and it was a little scary that half the people turned up looking like Rambo. While we don't have a huge gun problem over here, there was definitely a bit of macho stuff going on.

But the 'it's my right' argument is just nuts as most people have precisely no need for a gun at all let alone multiple weapons. This isn't age restricted glue we're talking about, but lethal force with the potential for mass casualties in any one incident. Until things change we'll just keep reading about mass shootings. It really is as simple as that. The information on, and platform provided by, social media really doesn't help either.

For those who peddle the 'for my own protection' argument the obvious solution is to remove potential for both threat and retaliation.

You do?

A tiny number of people need them for their jobs or for protection if, say, they live in the wilds of bear country (not most of us). A small number of people actually use them for legitimate sport….I once went to an open day at Bisley and it was a little scary that half the people turned up looking like Rambo. While we don't have a huge gun problem over here, there was definitely a bit of macho stuff going on.

But the 'it's my right' argument is just nuts as most people have precisely no need for a gun at all let alone multiple weapons. This isn't age restricted glue we're talking about, but lethal force with the potential for mass casualties in any one incident. Until things change we'll just keep reading about mass shootings. It really is as simple as that. The information on, and platform provided by, social media really doesn't help either.

For those who peddle the 'for my own protection' argument the obvious solution is to remove potential for both threat and retaliation.
I said understand, not agree.

In that case you have to try and persuade them that they don't need guns and it's only a choice that causes more deaths as unlikely as this is.

The argument that holds no water is the one, "it wouldn't work anyway". It's been proven to work elsewhere.

Bear in mind, the US average is a "mass" shooting every 14 hours (by memory)

ETA: This year saw 39 in 23 days

ETA II: Guardian also keeps a record of the number of mass shootings reported in the press (a record that it's illegal to keep in the USA - and is acknowledged to be incomplete, as they're not all reported in the press)

Last edited:
Bear in mind, the US average is a "mass" shooting every 14 hours (by memory)

ETA: This year saw 39 in 23 days

ETA II: Guardian also keeps a record of the number of mass shootings reported in the press (a record that it's illegal to keep in the USA - and is acknowledged to be incomplete, as they're not all reported in the press)
Also bear in mind that generally 'mass' means 4 or more people killed, so there are huge numbers of small shootings not reported on and then you have suicides and accidental deaths.

You do?

It's amazing how so many people cannot see the sheer contradiction in "I need a gun to protect me against people with guns because there are so many guns around! Therefore I advocate further unrestricted access to guns because guns are not the problem!"

People should just stop making up bullshit reasons for wanting a gun. The real reason for many people that they won't admit is that having a gun makes them feel powerful. That's it.

"The state was working on new laws to get guns out of the hands of dangerous criminals and to increase penalties for criminals to possess guns, he said, noting an increase in anger and violence in the country."

As far as I'm aware, none of these mass shootings are carried out by "dangerous criminals", and the majority of them end up being shot dead, so how are you going to increase the penalties?

Latest posts