• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Guscott Lions XV

After today:
O'Connell, O'Driscoll, Wyn-Jones, Bowe and Heaslip all won themselves the Lions jersey. Shane Williams played himself out of contention and Byrne will probably get it over Kearney. The rest will probably be decided on Heineken Cup form... Which bodes well for the Irish lot.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (danny @ Mar 21 2009, 09:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Bit harsh on Williams, he hardly had any ball in good positions to work with.[/b]

true and I still think his form of last year will get him a starting place.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Mar 21 2009, 08:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (danny @ Mar 21 2009, 09:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Bit harsh on Williams, he hardly had any ball in good positions to work with.[/b]
true and I still think his form of last year will get him a starting place.
[/b][/quote]

I dont see how to be honest. I thought he looked a little out of place. Didnt see much of the ball going forward but in defense he was caught out way too often. Great player but ....... well last year he was a great player. This year he hasnt shown anything close to that form.

If the Lions game plan was to throw it around like Wales then yes. If they are going to play any kind of structured game, not a chance.

Dont want to go into any kind of rant, but can we officially dispell the myth that is Gavin Henson. Henson has never done what O'Driscoll did today, or last week, or two weeks before that etc.

Stephen Jones for Lions outhalf. Class player.

Agree on all counts Logo. Stephen Jones is a class player, but a true professional too especially in his post match interview. A banker for the 10 jersey hopefully.

I still hate Shane Williams, but if he was the best option for the wing I would want him to start, exposed badly today though by O'Gara and Bowe. it literally was a case off we can't kick it behind Powell so we will kick it behind Williams.

blessing in disguise for us then that injury. You're right in what you say but when it comes to the tests I still see the coaches going with Williams despite his performances this season.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sir. Speedy @ Mar 21 2009, 08:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
After today:
O'Connell, O'Driscoll, Wyn-Jones, Bowe and Heaslip all won themselves the Lions jersey. Shane Williams played himself out of contention and Byrne will probably get it over Kearney. The rest will probably be decided on Heineken Cup form... Which bodes well for the Irish lot.[/b]

Ok I'm not a fan of Bowe but he did play well today. TBH i reckon Williams will still be the choice 11 since he's the only guy in the Isles who can make something happen from nothing. Otherwise, I'd have Fitzgerald on the other wing, but there are a huge number of other guys who are in contention for it.

Ok, so I'm a little drunk right now, far too much Pimms down me.

But I think there should be a Franco/Italian side invented to take on the Lions every year.

It'd be sweet. The Italian pack plus the French backs.

I don't see how anyone can leave Shane out, bad year or not.

Perhaps I'm biased but I think he's one of the greatest players of all time and I mean that.

Defensive liability as Bowe showed time and time again on Saturday. A very good winger, probably the best we have but you are having a f***ing laugh if you think he is one of the greatest ever.

Meh, MM, when he was at his best in the Summer it was hard to argue against him being just that (that's one of, not the). Shame he never played like that during his youth. Or this year for that matter.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MunsterMan @ Mar 23 2009, 10:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Defensive liability as Bowe showed time and time again on Saturday. A very good winger, probably the best we have but you are having a f***ing laugh if you think he is one of the greatest ever.[/b]

As an all round player you are probably right but in terms of his attacking prowess I can't think of many players that are more dangerous.

If I see Jeremy in real life ever, I'm giving him the biggest vocal powering ever for picking Jonny at 10.

what's frightening though is that there wasn't huge opposition when he did the thing with the Times as well.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Meh @ Mar 23 2009, 10:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Mar 23 2009, 10:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
how many All Blacks do we need to name here?[/b]

Can you name someone who isn't an All Black?
[/b][/quote]

Caucau. Watch one of the compilations of his tries on youtube, he is the most exciting player I've ever seen. One of the quickest in a straight line, one of the most agile, powerful, expert at chipping, wonderful hands...

There's a rare player I've seen time and again obliterate top-level defences on their own in the professional game... Williams, Lomu and Robinson are the only others I can think of.

Latest posts