• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Half started 2015-2016 mod. Roster kinda complete.

ama1

Academy Player
Country Flag
New Zealand
Club or Nation
New Zealand
A few years ago (2008-2009ish) I used to browse this site alot, as the modding community was massive. Although my photoshop skills were limited, I put together the Sanzar Mod to try something different with Rugby 08.

When I stopped playing Rugby 08, I moved on to other games (I figured out how to hex edit the rosters and franchises on Madden 12 for PSP). Being a NZ'er, rugby is the main sport and besides the newer Rugby Challenge games - my preference is toward Rugby 08 on PC, still a good game with alot of potential for modding like Madden 08.

Last year, I had a go at creating a 2015-2016 roster mod in my spare time. I was able to get a playable roster completed and rename the teams, but it just became too time consuming to make the kits, player faces, team logos and graphic related items.

What I was hoping for, is that a talented person or talented people can have a look at it and hopefully use the files or complete or be inspired to help finish another mod. Hopefully, we can get a fully finished mod - like they have with Madden 08.

Here is the link to the mod file; Its only about 4MB.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/mcj2c8lsj6rn2j8/Mod.rar

What it contains;

A roster containing 1903 players (2015-16 International, Super Rugby, European Champions Cup and European Challenge Cup squads).
There are no custom faces however I used the default ones which I think look similar for each individual player. I used a blank portrait pic (much like MJC studios patch) to blank out the player portraits (which is what we do for modding Madden 12 on psp).

The international teams are from 2015-2016 and Super Rugby, European squads are from the 2015-2016 season.
The .english file is done and teams are renamed.

To have a look at what's been done, download the mod.rar file from the link. Unrar with winrar. There are 3 files contained within. One file goes into the main program directory (Program Files/EA Rugby 08)..etc. The documents folder contains a roster named mod.ros (hopefully you know what to do with it) and the woosah folder contains the teams.csv which goes into the woosah editor folder - so that the teams and players can be further customised. P.S - you will have to clean install this mod and not have any other mods in either of your Rugby 08 folders.

Last edited:
Hey man peter83 is already busy with a new update for rugby 08. You can help him if you want... I will try your roster.

Its nice to see modders returning.

Awesome Roster bro!!! The stats is very accurate.

And I'm using this roster in MJC Rugby 13 SA Edition patch. Very nice roster

Last edited:
Hello friend thanks for the collaboration and in these moments I am ending with the update of the international, european and super rugby kit to date, I am taking a poko ppr that are a lot and I do not have the necessary time, I am missing just a few Few and algubos other details...

Cheers Ezzy. I learnt from the Madden08 community and they are very picky in regards to player stats (speed, acceleration, players degenerating as they age, injuries etc). They even have a site for the
next gen versions where the players stats change from week to week.
No dramas peter83, I will contribute what I can to the cause from time to time in relation to the rosters. Just going through and updating the roster to 2017 to coincide with the kits
you are planning on making. It is time consuming, however - with many hands, we can make light work.
P.S. Today I was able to update the Sunwolves, Jaguares, all the NZ teams and now making a start on the South African squads.

Are u creating players individualy @ama1?For example: correct height, weight and that stuff? Just asking coz I did it with a few players then it took too long, so I just changed players names, edit stats(speed, handlng,height, weight, etc) similar to each position. It must have taken you ages doing it alone and blanking out player faces to display blank portraits. Did u also adjust fitness levels? As I think it also relates to injuries ingame

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, each player is done individually. I copy the stats from the internet. For the profile pics, I use the same file (The default blank one from the data.gob).
I copied it & renamed it (a couple thousand times) to correspond with the file names from the data.gob.

I create the players look, name, dob, height, weight and positions in woosahs editor.

For the stats, I use a hex editor (010 editor - because it allows me to view the .ros file as hex with 100 byte rows).
I then control-shift + C all the hex data and paste it into an excel spreadsheet I created.
The data is converted from hex, to decimal & char (text) - before being edited and pasted back into 010 editor and saved as hex.

Sounds boring, slightly technical and tedious, and yes it is.

I do it this way, because I can sort players by position, height, weight or a combination of a few attributes and auto rank based on a range of stats from high to low. For example, you can
set the speed of all props from between 41 slowest to 67 fastest and all wingers from 76 slowest to the elite 90+.

Here is a pic of the .ros file in the excel file. You can edit any of the attributes in the .ros as long as you know the offset.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Excel Player Editor.jpg
    Excel Player Editor.jpg
    745.8 KB · Views: 152
Damn I went with the roster to edit every single player..eg; browsed through the roster with woosah and edited all prop speed to 35, locks to 50 and so on...your way sounds much easier to compile...I'll read through your post again and try to do your method. Didn't even know there was another method of editing players. Thanx :)

Yes, each player is done individually. I copy the stats from the internet. For the profile pics, I use the same file (The default blank one from the data.gob).
I copied it & renamed it (a couple thousand times) to correspond with the file names from the data.gob.

I create the players look, name, dob, height, weight and positions in woosahs editor.

For the stats, I use a hex editor (010 editor - because it allows me to view the .ros file as hex with 100 byte rows).
I then control-shift + C all the hex data and paste it into an excel spreadsheet I created.
The data is converted from hex, to decimal & char (text) - before being edited and pasted back into 010 editor and saved as hex.

Sounds boring, slightly technical and tedious, and yes it is.

I do it this way, because I can sort players by position, height, weight or a combination of a few attributes and auto rank based on a range of stats from high to low. For example, you can
set the speed of all props from between 41 slowest to 67 fastest and all wingers from 76 slowest to the elite 90+.

Here is a pic of the .ros file in the excel file. You can edit any of the attributes in the .ros as long as you know the offset.

attachment.php

That's amazing man!

Can you explain how u exported it to text? All I see is values when trying to export. Maybe I am doing something wrong

Ok, here is the excel spreadsheet I use.
http://www.mediafire.com/file/i829v1n2anww4dc/Roster_Editor.xlsx

CTRL+Shift+C to copy the hex data from 010 editor. If you set the view to 100 bytes per line, it should work perfectly.

The roster structure is as follows - the top part of the roster represents the teams.
The bottom part from row 150 downwards - represent the players.

Each row contains 100 bytes. I have sorted them by individual columns. Each byte (or cell) contains the value for a particular offset.
I got the offset values from this site many years ago and discovered a few more via trial and error.

The excel spreadsheet consists of a group of workbooks. The tutorial/guidelines are the first workbook in the excel file.

I hope the instructions are clear enough.

Basically you import the hex data into the spreadsheet. The spreadsheet autoconverts the data to decimal.
You use a formula =char to convert the decimal to text.

The player editor workbook should now show the names. You make changes to the stats and then reimport as hex into 010 editor and save.

Any issues, let me know. A bit of a long way of doing things, but it allows you to compare different stats and positions for accuracy.

Last edited:
Hey ama1. How did you get the team chemistry get so high(80%-100%). Because when I edited the roster sometimes the team chemistry is usually between 40%-65%

I extracted the file e74247ee7c0b1c728e760548e4344da9.xml from the .gob and it outlines which combinations are needed to boost the teams overall chemistry.

Basically at the moment I'm going through the roster while at the same time checking the 2017 player transfers. I'm just going through creating players, their profiles and likenesses.
So far, ive done the Super Rugby squads - plus a couple of the European teams. I am trying to do all European Champions Cup and European Challenge Trophy Teams.

I do the international teams last, because most of the players are already in the club teams.

Luckily for me, the majority of players are already on the roster and I just move people in and out of teams using Woosahs editor. Some teams require an entire new squad, while others are just a few transfers plus 3 or 4 new players added in.

The default roster has a limit of 1903 players. At the bottom of the roster file are blank rows of 0's (139 extra spaces). I'm pretty sure we can use those to create additional players - just trying to find out how the DB index is calculated and assign a db index to the bottom rows to use as players.
Once I've moved people in and out of teams, I fill the remaining spots with a temporary place holder player.

Once the entire roster is complete - I will see how many place holder spots remain and use the players who are not in teams to overwrite and fill the missing player spots.
Then I use the excel file to sort and generate the players stats.

Last edited:
Man you are very good with this stuff. Thanks for the info. With what patch does you use this roster? Is it compatible with TRF Rugby 2010?

Unfortunately it is not compatible with the TRF patch, because all the custom faces and profile pictures from that patch will not match up.
I have not used any cyberfaces - as I don't have any to test. All the links seem to have gone.
I will create a roster of sorts, and when completed I will post it here with a list of the teams and their corresponding ID's,
so that those who are making the kits and logos can match up the roster to their creations.

I don't have anything to offer in terms of custom graphics, logos, kits etc - but I will contribute a roster towards hopefully a TRF 2017 mod.

Just played quickly your with roster, its awesome man, but I don't understanding the whole hex part, I have imported my values to the hex workbook. I don't understand the part about the edit and player editor work. I have only succeeded to the second workbook, pasting the hex values to "hex workbook" hope u can be help me out on this friend

Once you have pasted it into the hex workbook - it will auto calculate the decimal workbook.
So, assuming you have imported the hex values from 010 editor into the Hex workbook;

Open the Decimal workbook.
CTRL+A to select all, then CTRL+C to copy to clipboard.

The entire decimal workbook should be highlighted and copied.
Go into the Edit workbook then right click & paste as 'values' into cell A1- (the 123 icon).

At this stage, the Edit workbook is now a clone of the decimal workbook - but represented in value format.

From here - go to cell E150 of the Edit workbook and enter this formula into the formula bar (the long address bar at the top);
=char(Decimal!E150)
Now press enter.
Cell E150 should be displayed as a text value.

Highlight cell E150 and in the lower right hand corner is a little square. Drag it towards the right and it will copy the text conversion formula across to the next cells.
Do this from cells E150 -T150.

If you do this part correctly, the text values will show.
Once you have done the first player, keep the formula line highlighted and drag it down - to row 2053.
This should convert all the player names to text values.

Once this is done, CTRL+A to select the entire Edit workbook,
CTRL+C to copy to clipboard,
then right click, paste as values again. (Into the Edit workbook again).

Once the cells are formatted as values - use CTRL+F to find and replace.
Search for the value
#VALUE!

Replace it with (a space) to create a blank.

All the #### cells should now be blank.

Once again, CTRL+A to select all, then Right Click & paste as values into the Edit workbook once again.

Go to the Player Editor workbook.
If the player names are showing up, you have done the previous steps correctly.

Highlight all players by clicking on the top left corner (to the left of column A in the header)
In the data tab is a sort button (A-Z). Make sure to select (my data has headers).
Edit the stats to your liking.

When you have completed, sort by Column A (Sort) to restore the original player order.

Copy all the stats from Tend - across to column (offset) 100 for all the players. (Across from 'Tend' towards the bottom right corner).

Paste as values into the Decimal workbook at cell AG150.

Last part, go to the New Hex workbook and CTRL+A to select everything.
CTRL + C to copy to clipboard.

Open 010 editor and create a new hex file.
CTRL+Shift+V to paste the updated roster as hex.

Save the file.
Check with woosahs editor, to ensure the stats are updated.

Last edited:
Want to say @ama1 the roster you have made is probably the most accurate i've seen made by any modder here, i've tried but i just simply don't have the time to complete them. The faces are close to the players in real life. The stats i would say are just about accurate too. However! I know you said it was half completed but for me I can't play as the Sunwolves because you have not made kits for them yet and most of the kits are not been added, Like i said i know you said its half complete but i hope to see these improvements later on :)

I have a question however. See with the .ros file in the excel file you wouldn't you could add players by making a new line at the bottom with a new ID would you?

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts